Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi,

Well, I removed the two files and the Fakefiles, reinstalled the VirtualSMC files and run kext utility, again the boot process stopped but with different message. Again I had a lot of trouble getting my backup disc to load a system and after rebooting the BIOS screen didn't show or I couldn't press a key to select a boot device, but at some point iI got it working.

1. What does this message mean, see attachement?

2. Since it is difficult to find out what the problem is, I can stick to FakeSMC etc, but then I need SMCHelper.efi
I guess, I only have SMCHelper-64 that I removed together with the drivers64 folder when I updated Clover to 5.1.0.3, so where can I get SMCHelper.efi because now I have a mismatch, VirtualSMC.kext + SMCProcess.kext + SMCSuperIO.kext in Other and VirtualSMC.efi in drivers and FakeSMC.kext and FakeSMC_xxxSensors.kext in L/E.

3. On the other hand I have a lot of data coming in both HWMonitor and HWMonitorSMC2, see attachments, the only 'problem' I have that I don't have the fan speeds available of the casing and processor and cpu data in HWMonitorSMC2. I don't know how this works but my impression was that you needed VirtualSMC to get data in HWMonitorSMC2, if that is the case how can I have data in HWMonitorSMC2 if VirtualSMC is not implemented correctly? I have mismatch but I can boot and get most of the data?!? And I don't have SMCHelper.efi installed but VirtualSMC.efi?!

Best regards

Ok, I've just found out that I can use Clover to download SMCHelper.efi, so that is sorted.

Hello jiffyslot, is this for Mojave or Catalina? My setting under Mojave is Detect, so you put your kext files only in the clover kexts folder with the setting is Yes, so no doubling? I've read that that is possible with Catalina.

Best regards
No! For Mojave, either /L/E/ folder or /EFI//Clover/kexts/other/, not both.

For Catalina, only in /EFI//Clover/kexts/other/. See my post here for more information.

@HH007
Have you tried removing ALL the Kexts and Efi files from your EFI folders and replaced them with the set from the mini guide?
Check HERE.

Hello Ploddles,

Thank you for responding. Actually, yes I did that at the time I updated Clover to 5.1.0.3. See attached files with the content after using the mini guide. But since I had a working configuration and I only wanted to change over to the quirkfiles and native NVRAM I only used the guide partly by using the files. That was how I got VirtualSMC.kext and .efi in the system, but in /L/E I still had the FakeSMC.kext and the Fake sensors kext. Just about 10 minutes ago I found out how to download SMCHelper, so for now I have everything based on Fake not VirtualSMC, see attached file for current content.

I get the same data through in HWMonitor and HWMonitorSMC2.

So as you might have read, I would like change over to VirtualSMC but for some reason I get stuck and it takes always quite some time to get an image restored.

When you look at the content, do you see something odd?

Best regards

Attachments

• Drivers after mini guide.png
    Drivers after mini guide.png
    185.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Kext Other after mini guide.png
    Kext Other after mini guide.png
    221.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Drivers Changed 10 minutes ago everything to Fake + SMC Helper.png
    Drivers Changed 10 minutes ago everything to Fake + SMC Helper.png
    213.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Kext Changed 10 minutes ago everything to Fake + SMC Helper.png
    Kext Changed 10 minutes ago everything to Fake + SMC Helper.png
    272.4 KB · Views: 54
2. Since it is difficult to find out what the problem is, I can stick to FakeSMC etc, but then I need SMCHelper.efi
I guess, I only have SMCHelper-64 that I removed together with the drivers64 folder when I updated Clover to 5.1.0.3, so where can I get SMCHelper.efi because now I have a mismatch, VirtualSMC.kext + SMCProcess.kext + SMCSuperIO.kext in Other and VirtualSMC.efi in drivers and FakeSMC.kext and FakeSMC_xxxSensors.kext in L/E.
SMCHelper.efi and SMCHelper-64.efi are the same thing with different names. That which we call a rose by any other name...
3. On the other hand I have a lot of data coming in both HWMonitor and HWMonitorSMC2, see attachments, the only 'problem' I have that I don't have the fan speeds available of the casing and processor and cpu data in HWMonitorSMC2. I don't know how this works but my impression was that you needed VirtualSMC to get data in HWMonitorSMC2, if that is the case how can I have data in HWMonitorSMC2 if VirtualSMC is not implemented correctly? I have mismatch but I can boot and get most of the data?!? And I don't have SMCHelper.efi installed but VirtualSMC.efi?!
HWMonitor and HWMonitorSMC2 work with both VirtualSMC and FakeSMC.

However, with VirtualSMC you will also see various system voltages and fan speeds.
Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 12.59.09 PM.png

Last edited:
No! For Mojave, either /L/E/ folder or /EFI//Clover/kexts/other/, not both.

For Catalina, only in /EFI//Clover/kexts/other/. See my post here for more information.

Hello Stork,

I'm afraid the link under here doesn't work.

I really appreciate the work of you admins and all the other members who try to help,
but now I'm a bit confused, maybe I misunderstand something. In this mini guide it says
explicitly to copy the kext files to both /L/E AND EFI/../Other

Did I get this wrong? And if that is so, what is the setting in the config file for inject kext, is it Yes?

Best regards

I guess this is a silly question. Im trying to install catalina. Making a bootable usb. Downloaded clover. 5104 seems to be dammaged. 5103 doesnt open. Or atleast I dont see clover opening in taskbar. When trying to delete the file from usb it says the program is still running. Can't be deleted. Anyone knows about these problems? Thanks in advance!

Woops nevermind. Didnt read carefully.

Still same problem after going to security. Clover 5104 doenst open. Any suggestions? Older versions work. But I have 64gb ram. If i could choose I dont want to remove ram. Everything is really tight in my build. Need to remove fans from cpu etc. Anyone knows why this file is damaged?

Woops. Nevermind. Lol. Just leave this for other if neccesary but in privacy there's the option to open clover. Thanks.

Okay. I dont get it. Clover 5104 opened when I gave acces in privacy tab. I installed on the proper location. (usb) exit the program. Tried to open clover again. Same error. Cant open clover because its damaged. What the hec* am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello Stork,

I'm afraid the link under here doesn't work.

I really appreciate the work of you admins and all the other members who try to help,
but now I'm a bit confused, maybe I misunderstand something. In this mini guide it says
explicitly to copy the kext files to both /L/E AND EFI/../Other

Did I get this wrong? And if that is so, what is the setting in the config file for inject kext, is it Yes?

Best regards
I am confused about this as well...

I guess this is a silly question. Im trying to install catalina. Making a bootable usb. Downloaded clover. 5104 seems to be dammaged. 5103 doesnt open. Or atleast I dont see clover opening in taskbar. When trying to delete the file from usb it says the program is still running. Can't be deleted. Anyone knows about these problems? Thanks in advance!

Woops nevermind. Didnt read carefully.

Still same problem after going to security. Clover 5104 doenst open. Any suggestions? Older versions work. But I have 64gb ram. If i could choose I dont want to remove ram. Everything is really tight in my build. Need to remove fans from cpu etc. Anyone knows why this file is damaged?

Woops. Nevermind. Lol. Just leave this for other if neccesary but in privacy there's the option to open clover. Thanks.

Okay. I dont get it. Clover 5104 opened when I gave acces in privacy tab. I installed on the proper location. (usb) exit the program. Tried to open clover again. Same error. Cant open clover because its damaged. What the hec* am I doing wrong? Thanks.
Please post some screenshots of the Clover settings and any error messages you're seeing. Press CMD-SHIFT-5 to capture screenshot. It will be saved on Desktop.

Back