Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I've been experiencing two issues lately with this build, figured I would post here in case anybody else has run into them and might have some advice. I can't seem to find a search function for this thread, so maybe the answer is somewhere in these 1,442 pages lol. I'm running Mojave 10.14.6

1.) This happens consistently after a few days of uptime, usually about 2. I'll open an app, any app, and it will be completely frozen. After force quitting the app or ending the process in activity monitor, the process appears to die but the app is still displayed graphically. Force quit menu, activity monitor, and ps aux | grep <process> all show nothing. Once this happens, any app that I open from that point on will behave the same way. If I then try to relaunch finder, it will kill the process but never re-open. $ open -a Finder gives an error: "LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed for the application /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app with error -600." The only way to bring things back to normal that I've found is a reboot. Maybe worth noting that in everyway, the stuck apps behave as if they're just a part of my wallpaper, but I am still able to move them from space to space in mission control, but in no other way can I interact with them. Has this happened to anybody before? It might just be a Mojave thing.

2.) If I have the screen saver enabled, sometimes it will get stuck. I'm unable to get the password prompt to show up and will have to restart. I just have the screensaver disabled now, but it would be nice to have that working.

I've noticed these problems with both AptioMemoryFix and
OCQuirks + FwRuntimeServices. I can't remember if this happened with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000. I can't seem to find any google results for these, which makes me think they're likely hackintosh issues. Any advice is appreciated! I've attached my clover folder just in case.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 76
Hello Everyone,

I’m hoping someone can help. I just got my new Z390 DSIGNARE and update the BIOS to F9b. I’m following the Mini Guide and created the Catalina (10.5.3) bootable USB drive and used Clover 5103 (first time) and tried it again (from scratch and a new USB drive) with Clover 5102.

I’m installing to a single 2TB Samsung 930 Pro NVMe drive. I have 64GB of RAM (8GBx4). No other drives attached.

No issues getting to Disk Utility and formatting everything. But when I go to:

macOS Catalina -> Continue
“Agree” and “Agree” to the license agreement
Choose the newly APFS formatted 2TB “Catalina” drive to install and click “Install”

As soon as I click “Install” it goes right back to the “MacOS Utilities” window.

I’ve checked the BIOS settings multiple times (per the original guide for F8 and greater) and as mentioned have created two different (and new) USB 3.0 thumb drives just to make sure something wasn’t wrong with the first.

Any ideas?

Thank you so much!
Lam

Is your date set correctly? If you can, try redownloading the installer or rebuilding the macOS install drive. I'm assuming you are using CreateInstallMedia method?

Date is correct in the MacBook I created both USBV sticks with. Date/time is correct in BIOS (although not sure how the GMT offset is applied once Clover starts).

Correct. I used the CreateInstallMedia method cut/paste in the Mini Guide both times.

Just curious. How does Clover know which of the DSDTs to use?

@CaseySJ @Elias64Fr, for pure shits and giggles I want to see if my Firmware Utility in windows will (for whatever lucky reason) accept a modified file. I see where the version number is at 03FF0 in the Mac Firmware (22) but I cant seem to find the version in the Asus. Can you help me find it?

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    295.5 KB · Views: 56
Date is correct in the MacBook I created both USBV sticks with. Date/time is correct in BIOS (although not sure how the GMT offset is applied once Clover starts).

Correct. I used the CreateInstallMedia method cut/paste in the Mini Guide both times.

Just curious. How does Clover know which of the DSDTs to use?

OK, please zip and upload your EFI folder. Clover usually injects anything in the ACPI/Patched folder. What do you mean by how does Clover know which of the DSDTs to use?

@CaseySJ @jb007 @mm2margaret
I have another question about this Thunderbolt hot-plug patch. Besides the name, are there many differences between these? I don't have a tool to highlight the differences with any great insight. Maybe the secret sauce is in adding the .efi driver?

I did have a problem with several spontaneous shutdowns in the middle of a Pro Tools 2019.12 session and the UAD Apollo 8 Quad.

Attachments

• kgp_SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml
    6.1 KB · Views: 76
  • mm2margaret_SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml
    8 KB · Views: 69
  • mm2margaret_TbtForcePower.efi
    9.9 KB · Views: 75
Sorry. I meant SSDTs (*.aml) since all of them are copied into CLOVER/ACPI/patched.

BTW. I’ve stress-tested the HW with Windows 10 prior to starting the Catalina install...all went perfect :)

Thank you for the help! I’ve attached the EFI folder.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.7 MB · Views: 73
@CaseySJ @Elias64Fr, for pure shits and giggles I want to see if my Firmware Utility in windows will (for whatever lucky reason) accept a modified file. I see where the version number is at 03FF0 in the Mac Firmware (22) but I cant seem to find the version in the Asus. Can you help me find it?
Been there done that. I would say - Don't attempt it - the firmware utility would not burn the file cause of the checksum mismatch. You can use an external programmer CH341A to burn the MAC firmware into the controller but that would end up bricking it. To recover you must have a backup.
Your version is 18 - [00051800] offset 0x0A at 0x4000. You can also validate this in Windows by right clicking the thunderbolt icon in device tray and selecting about.

P.S. - My NVM version is 14 and 22 was what I could find for the Mac. I have tried to splice the firmware (am not sure if I did that right) onto to the controller (the controller is not detected in Mac) but I guess I still need the SSDT patches to get it to work.

Last edited:
Been there done that. I would say - Don't attempt it - the firmware utility would not burn the file cause of the checksum mismatch. You can use an external programmer CH341A to burn the MAC firmware into the controller but that would end up bricking it. To recover you must have a backup.
Your version is 18 - [00051800] offset 0C at 0x4000. You can also validate this in Windows by right clicking the thunderbolt icon in device tray and selecting about.

P.S. - My NVM version is 14 and 22 was what I could find for the Mac. I have tried to splice the firmware (am not sure if I did that right) onto to the controller (the controller is not detected in Mac) but I guess I still need the SSDT patches to get it to work.

This is the part confuses me with version numbers. I'm going to sound dumb for a second, offset 0x4000? I see 18 at 2024 of the left column.

So 18 for the Mac file and 19 for the Asus.

However, I've noticed from the config file and title of the Mac files that the Mac Version is 22 and I can see that from line 16368 on every Mac file corresponding the same way each time.

So which is which?

I have a minor issue, hopefully someone has an answer to. I used the mini guide for the fresh install of Catalina(clover), no issues everything's working great.

I have a Lacie Big 2 thunderbolt 3 external drive, When its connected I can access all files(read and write) no issues, But I do not get a desktop icon(I do on my MBP). The other odd thing is the eject button is not showing next to it in finder, I can right click and eject.

Also how do I see if it is using thunderbolt 3 or USB? I looked under System Info>PCI and I see the thunderbolt controller but not sure how to check if anything is connected. Unfortunately I do not have another thunderbolt 3 device to check against.

Back