Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

This is the part confuses me with version numbers. I'm going to sound dumb for a second, offset 0x4000? I see 18 at 2024 of the left column.

So 18 for the Mac file and 19 for the Asus.

However, I've noticed from the config file and title of the Mac files that the Mac Version is 22 and I can see that from line 16368 on every Mac file corresponding the same way each time.

So which is which?

Offset 0x4000 is in Hex (16384 decimal) and hence you see Mac Version Number 22 on that line. If you are using HexFiend, click anywhere on the left column to change display to Hex. In your file that value is 18.

Last edited:
Sorry. I meant SSDTs (*.aml) since all of them are copied into CLOVER/ACPI/patched.

BTW. I’ve stress-tested the HW with Windows 10 prior to starting the Catalina install...all went perfect :)

Thank you for the help! I’ve attached the EFI folder.

OK, I added a few EFI drivers that I have in my UEFI folder but were not in your's. I also removed folders in kext except the "Other" folder for the kexts.
I've also included a minimal config that you can try to see if that works. The reason is that you have some stuff in there that I'm not too sure about; where did you get this config from?

Note that if you wish to use the minimal config I included, you must have XHCI hand-off enabled in your firmware (BIOS), as I don't have Clover injecting USB properties or ownership etc. in the devices section of that config.

Let me know if this helps at all... :)

Attachments

• DJX Modified EFI.zip
    8.6 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Which UEFI driver are you referring to?

Are you on Catalina and are you running a dual Windows and MacOS system or MacOS only, sorry to ask and thanks for confirming S1 is working for you :eek:)

@CaseySJ @jb007 @mm2margaret
I have another question about this Thunderbolt hot-plug patch. Besides the name, are there many differences between these? I don't have a tool to highlight the differences with any great insight. Maybe the secret sauce is in adding the .efi driver?

I did have a problem with several spontaneous shutdowns in the middle of a Pro Tools 2019.12 session and the UAD Apollo 8 Quad.

Well, first of all, the files I posted are for Asus X299 motherboards, and not for any other motherboards, without lots of modifications. Also, to get hot plug working on these boards, I also lit up USB and Boot support in the Thunderbolt BIOS configuration (as well as adding GPIO). And finally, for me and my Asus X299 motherboard, they only work on Clover - they don't work on OC (too bad, because I would really prefer OC).

You can communicate directly to the author of that Tbt patch here: https://github.com/al3xtjames/ThunderboltPkg

And, this is a bit off topic for this thread - which, as I understand it, is focused on built-in Thunderbolt on
Z390 boards.....I was hoping this file and my other discoveries might help further flush out more insight on Thunderbolt in general....

I have a Lacie Big 2 thunderbolt 3 external drive, When its connected I can access all files(read and write) no issues, But I do not get a desktop icon(I do on my MBP). The other odd thing is the eject button is not showing next to it in finder, I can right click and eject.

What Icon do you see and how is the drive formatted WPS+ APFS ? FAT 32? tell us. The big 2 is 2 x Samsung SSD's in Raid config if I recall, has to be formatted raid 0 to show as one drive

Also how do I see if it is using thunderbolt 3 or USB? .
Usually because its plugged into Thunderbolt 3 port at the back.

Last edited:
Are you on Catalina and are you running a dual Windows and MacOS system or MacOS only, sorry to ask and thanks for confirming S1 is working for you :eek:)

I was on Catalina until two days ago.
I rolled back to Mojave’s so I could use waves SoundGrid stuff.
I am dual booting with windows yes.
I have also used both clover and opencore (currently opencore) and i have had no issues.

only time i have had issues with Auth is when I had nvram issues.

I have also used both clover and opencore (currently opencore) and i have had no issues.

And Studio One worked on both Clover and Opencore boot managers ? When you switched windows to Opencore did you have any issues with reauthorising software in Windows or any other odd behaviour ?

Could you post a copy of your Opencore EFI

Well, first of all, the files I posted are for Asus X299 motherboards, and not for any other motherboards, without lots of modifications. Also, to get hot plug working on these boards, I also lit up USB and Boot support in the Thunderbolt BIOS configuration (as well as adding GPIO). And finally, for me and my Asus X299 motherboard, they only work on Clover - they don't work on OC (too bad, because I would really prefer OC).

You can communicate directly to the author of that Tbt patch here: https://github.com/al3xtjames/ThunderboltPkg

And, this is a bit off topic for this thread - which, as I understand it, is focused on built-in Thunderbolt on
Z390 boards.....I was hoping this file and my other discoveries might help further flush out more insight on Thunderbolt in general....

@jiffyslot in bios thunderbolt setting disable SWI Notify on HP (or something like that) and try these.

Note: SSDT-OsxDetect.aml is just DTPG and OSDW methods.

Note two: You've seen these at some point for sure. Just want to know if this gets you good behavior in the meantime.

Attachments

• SSDT-OsxDetect.aml
    139 bytes · Views: 103
  • SSDT-Z370-TB3HP.aml
    5.8 KB · Views: 96
  • TbtForcePower.efi
    9.9 KB · Views: 113
  • ThunderboltReset.kext.zip
    13.9 KB · Views: 76
Back