Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I just erased an APFS formatted SSD, put it into a USB cradle, copied my Mojave EFI partition over, downloaded the Catalina Installer, hit install on the USB drive and was up and running in 15 minutes...
Quickest install ever. Geekbench is about the same(tested after an hour, so spotlight cs can settle)
Will stay in Mojave land for a bit longer, I don't see much must-have features.

Hi Casey, I tried to replace FakeSMC and FakeSMC_Sensor*.kext as you explained in the post above end install VirtualSMC.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-1984173
At first run of HWMonitorSMC2 everything worked in the panel a saw everything about cpu, ram, graphic but, after a reboot no more information about cpu is seen.
The version of HWMonitorSMC2 is r240
Below there is a screenshot of the clover directory interested at the VirtualSmc files

View attachment 443964

Can you help me to solve the problem?
Can you please post a screenshot of the HWMonitorSMC2 window, preferably with most or all chevrons expanded? I've personally noticed issues with GPU statistics, but not with CPU statistics.

What model of 5700 XT do people have working? I have already tried the Sapphire RX 5700 XT and it suffers sleep issues. I tried a 590 XT and one works, one doesn't.... I don't want to buy every video card under the sun. But I need something in the $600 range, that is great.

I use Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC. With iMac19,1, sleeping seems to work fine. With iMacPro1,1, it wakes up immediately after going to sleep.

Freezing after 5-6 minutes idle happens to me too regardless of SMBIOS. Disabling WEG fixes it (i believe someone else previously mentioned this too).

Hi Casey, I tried to replace FakeSMC and FakeSMC_Sensor*.kext as you explained in the post above end install VirtualSMC.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-1984173
At first run of HWMonitorSMC2 everything worked in the panel a saw everything about cpu, ram, graphic but, after a reboot no more information about cpu is seen.
The version of HWMonitorSMC2 is r240
Below there is a screenshot of the clover directory interested at the VirtualSmc files

View attachment 443964

Can you help me to solve the problem?

Maybe because you have not updated Clover. Drivers64 is history. BTW, I have vt-d disabled. That's what it should look like:

Screenshot 2020-01-07 at 22.38.14.png

Last edited:
Hey @CaseySJ, tonight i tried to update FakeSMC to VirtualSMC, but it didn't work.
I tried two attempt, but blocked on the Apple black screen with progress bar...

My config is so similar to you, just i9-9900k and Vega 64 are different. I'm on Mojave 10.14.6 with iMac Pro SMBIOS for iMovie and FinalCutPro.

You have any idea ?
Regards.
When we replace FakeSMC with VirtualSMC (in Mojave), we must replace files in both CLOVER/kexts/Other and /Library/Extensions. Then we must run Kext Utility to rebuild the kernel cache. Please check that all remnants of FakeSMC, SMCHelper.efi, and the FakeSMC Sensor kexts are removed. You may post screenshots of the expanded CLOVER and /Library/Extensions folders.

When we replace FakeSMC with VirtualSMC (in Mojave), we must replace files in both CLOVER/kexts/Other and /Library/Extensions. Then we must run Kext Utility to rebuild the kernel cache. Please check that all remnants of FakeSMC, SMCHelper.efi, and the FakeSMC Sensor kexts are removed. You may post screenshots of the expanded CLOVER and /Library/Extensions folders.
I'm using last version of Clover, the 5103. But also i'm using KGP-X99-FakeSMC for display GPU Temp.

Capture d’écran 2020-01-07 à 22.44.58.png
Capture d’écran 2020-01-07 à 22.46.21.png

Last edited:
I'm using last version of Clover, the 5013. But also i'm using KGP-X99-FakeSMC for display GPU Temp.

View attachment 443996View attachment 443997

The last Clover is 5102!! don't use the kgpfiles with VirtualSmc

There is a lot of duplicate files in your Efi and system/library/extensions (SLE)

Delete everything in SLE and put in in the EFI on the correct locations. Don't use drivers/uefi and drivers64UEFI at the same time.

Delete everything that is called "Fake" when you use VirtualSMC. At the moment you use both. that can not work.

Last edited:
The last Clover is 5102!! don't use the kgpfiles with VirtualSmc
Serious ? Look the screenshot. (Edit: I write 5013 but it's 5103. Sorry, i'm edit the previous post)
Capture d’écran 2020-01-07 à 22.53.15.png

For KGP it's now with FakeSMC but i'm deleted all this files for migrate to VirtualSMC

Last edited:
Serious ? Look the screenshot. (Edit: I write 5013 but it's 5103. Sorry, i'm edit the previous post)View attachment 444000

For KGP it's now with FakeSMC but i'm deleted all this files for migrate to VirtualSMC
You have a lot of files several times; e.g., Whatever green in EFI and SLE.

If you have 5103, you can delete the Drivers64UEFI folder if every needed driver is in the drivers/UEFI folder.

you have a lot of files several times. eg Whatever green in EFI and SLE.
from the guide:

Install latest versions in /Library/Extensions using KextBeast to install the kexts and Kext Utility to repair permissions and rebuild kernel caches. Put these kexts on your Desktop and run KextBeast; then you may delete the kexts from your desktop. (Note: KextBeast will install all kexts that happen to be on your Desktop so ensure that only these kexts are on the Desktop.)

Back