Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

If it's any consolation, I've had similar sleep and standby issues with my MSI Radeon VII too. Even with sleep disabled, my Radeon VII becomes a bit unstable when my monitors go into sleep mode. In Mojave this would usually mean a 30 second 'freeze' (background tasks still run, music still plays, mouse can move, but display output is frozen) and then resume as normal, but since Catalina it's a 50/50 chance of a kernel panic. I've figured there's something up with the p-states for the GPU, but I need to collect more debug info before I can determine for sure. I've considered just selling it off and buying a 5700XT instead since the VII is just so damn loud when under load.

I don't know if it's related or not (it wasn't a sleep-related issue) but I had random freeze issue with my Radeon VII as well, both in Mojave and Catalina. It was happening a lot while watching YouTube videos for a while.

I disabled the AppleGFXHDA kext, losing HDMI/DP audio in the process (which I don't use anyway) and I didn't have any issue since.

What model of 5700 XT do people have working? I have already tried the Sapphire rx 5700 xt and it suffers sleep issues. I tried a 590 xt and one works, one doesn't.... I don't want to buy every video card under the sun. But I need something in the $600 range, that is great.

No sleep issues with my Sapphire Pulse.

@CaseySJ, thank you for putting together the EFIClone script. I've followed all steps however when tailing the log after clicking Clone (with `TEST_SWITCH="Y"`) I see:

Code:
- ***** EFI Clone Script start
- working directory = /System/Volumes/Data/Users/Shared
- Running /Library/Application Support/com.bombich.ccc/Scripts/EFIClone-v3.sh
- The operating system is Catalina
- Called From Carbon Copy Cloner
- 1: Source Path = / but changing it to /
- 2: Destination Path = /Volumes/Catalina Local Backup
- 3: CCC Exit Status = 89
- 4: Disk image file path =
- CCC did not exit with success, the EFI Clone Script will not run

Any ideas? I paged through + searched this thread but could not find anyone else reporting the above. I'm on 10.15 (English), running CCC 5.1.14.
I'll run some tests on the new CCC 5.1.14 because it seems to be setting Source Path to / (which is good) instead of the more cryptic /private/var/tmp-bla-bla-bla.

Are you using the standard EFIClone-v3, but with TEST_SWITCH set to Y?

@CaseySJ attached is a quick video. Thx!
That actually looks okay, I think! But perhaps the refresh rate is 30Hz instead of 60Hz. Please check About this Mac --> System Report --> Graphics/Displays.

I can't decide whether to make a dual boot Windows & macOS or just go with macOS.

Most of my apps are macOS. But in the past I have used Windows for somethings.

Are you using the standard EFIClone-v3, but with TEST_SWITCH set to Y?

I'm using the latest EFIClone-v3.sh from this post which has TEST_SWITCH set to Y by default (per the comment 'Update 27-Dec-2019')

Hi Casey, I tried to replace FakeSMC and FakeSMC_Sensor*.kext as you explained in the post above end install VirtualSMC.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-1984173
At first run of HWMonitorSMC2 everything worked in the panel a saw everything about cpu, ram, graphic but, after a reboot no more information about cpu is seen.
The version of HWMonitorSMC2 is r240
Below there is a screenshot of the clover directory interested at the VirtualSmc files

Schermata 2020-01-07 alle 18.15.13.png

Can you help me to solve the problem?

@Fabrizzioa04 @FriFlo

You can both benefit from the same instructions so here goes:

*** Mini-Guide: How to Replace FakeSMC with VirtualSMC ***
  1. ...

Hey @CaseySJ, tonight I tried to update FakeSMC to VirtualSMC, but it didn't work.
I tried two attempt, but blocked on the Apple black screen with progress bar...

My config is so similar to you, just i9-9900K and Vega 64 are different. I'm on Mojave 10.14.6 with iMac Pro SMBIOS for iMovie and FinalCutPro.

You have any idea ?
Regards.

Back