Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Quick update: it happens even with the screen saver turned off so I think that the screen saver itself is not involved. The machine is 100% fine under W10 so probably the issue is not HW related.
I just invoked the screen saver and its works fine. Are you experiencing seemingly random crashes?
  • Have you found any pattern? Do the crashes always occur when using a web browser? When streaming a video? When playing back any protected (DRM) content?
  • Were any new apps or drivers installed recently?
  • Do you have a full bootable backup after the initial installation of macOS (the "clean" state of the system)?

I just invoked the screen saver and its works fine. Are you experiencing seemingly random crashes?
  • Have you found any pattern? Do the crashes always occur when using a web browser? When streaming a video? When playing back any protected (DRM) content?
  • Were any new apps or drivers installed recently?
  • Do you have a full bootable backup after the initial installation of macOS (the "clean" state of the system)?

No pattern at all, it seems that this happens if the system tries to go to sleep by itself. By the way, probably I got it fixed deleting the power management plist. I'll update you ASAP.

Hey @CaseySJ,

I see earlier in this thread that you PM 2 SSDT for thunderbolt.I am actually stuck at these lines whenI boot, even thunderbolt disable in BIOS :
Code:
"Thunderbolt runtime power conservation disabled.

Thunderbolt 255 PCI - LS=0x7043 LC=0x0040 SS=0x0040 SC=0x008 PWCSR=0x0000 RT=0xffffffff MLRT=0xffffffff LWRT=0xffffffff PRRT=0xffffffff TRT=0x0000 TNLRT=0x0000 TLWRT=0x0000 TPRRT=0x0000 TLUP=0x0001"

I tried the SSDT-DTPG.aml from KGP and few ssdt with it but still the same.
Do you think the SSDT I am referring to can help my issue ?

Thank you

several pages ago, Casey strongly recommended that you do a windows installation to make sure all your hardware is functioning. have you done that? you don't need a windows 10 key to do an install, just to activate later if you decide to keep the installation. so just for troubleshooting purposes, find an 8gb usb drive, google for windows 10 create installation media, and follow the instructions. you'll end up with a bootable windows 10 installer. on one of the early screens (before installation begins) you'll be prompted for a windows install key. just click the option "I don't have a key". on the next page you will choose which version to install. choose windows 10 pro, although it really doesn't make much difference for troubleshooting purposes.

if windows doesn't install then you have hardware problems.

@CaseySJ prior to following your previous post I wanted to test 1 last hard drive I had with my install method. I was able to boot into installer GUI, reboot 2 times, and now when I pull up the welcome GUI it runs thru verbose Then gives CPU halted and shuts down I had this issue prior but can’t recall how I resolved it what would cause CPU to halt during verbose?

I’ve pulled both NVMe drives out and I’m running a standard WD SSD in SATA 3 slot
But this seemed more promising that the other drives cause this isn’t hanging or doing endless code signing and it’s the same exact installer I used for the other drives. So unsure only difference is I formatted this drive as APFS rather than extended journaled gonna try that see if it gives me code signing or cpu halted I can’t recall what I did to fix before.

Also when you mention reflashing BIOS you mean just using qflash and update The BIOS?

I have attempted that after resetting CMOS in prior attempts too

@SR1200 on the previous page in this thread is experiencing the same problem with 32GB DIMMs. We thought this only occurred when attempting to install 128GB RAM, but it seems the problem is with 32GB DIMMs.

It may be necessary to fill out the Memory section in SMBIOS. Please search this thread for 128GB and read through those posts — there aren’t too many of them. Take a look at how others solved the 128GB problem. It will require some experimentation. You may also post a reply here directed at those members.

If you have any questions (and I suspect you will because this can be tricky) just let us know what you tried and the outcome. We can go from there.

@CaseySJ Thank you! I got it working. I changed the SMBIOS settings to say 4 sticks of 16gb ram and it now recognizes my 2 sticks of 32gb Ram. I added the type and frequency, didn't bother with serial numbers or part numbers. Though I suppose I could add those so they serial number will show in About This Mac.

Once again thanks, and for anyone who is hanging on the apple logo look at the memory settings on SMBIOS in Clover Configurator

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 8.25.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 8.25.59 AM.png
    31 KB · Views: 179
Netflix and Prime video are not working for me. Can anyone summarize what's happening with DRM? Is this an issue for everyone or just a few specific video cards?

@CaseySJ Thank you! I got it working. I changed the SMBIOS settings to say 4 sticks of 16gb ram and it now recognizes my 2 sticks of 32gb Ram. I added the type and frequency, didn't bother with serial numbers or part numbers. Though I suppose I could add those so they serial number will show in About This Mac.

Once again thanks, and for anyone who is hanging on the apple logo look at the memory settings on SMBIOS in Clover Configurator
There’s just one thing to say: Good Job! No, great job! Isn’t this fun (when it works)?

@SR1200 — please try the same approach.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ prior to following your previous post I wanted to test 1 last hard drive I had with my install method. I was able to boot into installer GUI, reboot 2 times, and now when I pull up the welcome GUI it runs thru verbose Then gives CPU halted and shuts down I had this issue prior but can’t recall how I resolved it what would cause CPU to halt during verbose?

I’ve pulled both NVMe drives out and I’m running a standard WD SSD in SATA 3 slot
But this seemed more promising that the other drives cause this isn’t hanging or doing endless code signing and it’s the same exact installer I used for the other drives. So unsure only difference is I formatted this drive as APFS rather than extended journaled gonna try that see if it gives me code signing or cpu halted I can’t recall what I did to fix before.

Also when you mention reflashing BIOS you mean just using qflash and update The BIOS?

I have attempted that after resetting CMOS in prior attempts too
Only the USB flash disk is formatted as “MacOS Extended (Journaled)”.

The actual Mojave or Catalina SSD (NVMe, SATA, etc) must be formatted as APFS.

Regarding BIOS Update: Yes we can use QFlash and once a BIOS file has been selected you will be shown 2 flash options. Select the one that takes longer time -- the more comprehensive flash option.

Last edited:
Hey @CaseySJ,

I see earlier in this thread that you PM 2 SSDT for thunderbolt.I am actually stuck at these lines whenI boot, even thunderbolt disable in BIOS :
Code:
"Thunderbolt runtime power conservation disabled.

Thunderbolt 255 PCI - LS=0x7043 LC=0x0040 SS=0x0040 SC=0x008 PWCSR=0x0000 RT=0xffffffff MLRT=0xffffffff LWRT=0xffffffff PRRT=0xffffffff TRT=0x0000 TNLRT=0x0000 TLWRT=0x0000 TPRRT=0x0000 TLUP=0x0001"

I tried the SSDT-DTPG.aml from KGP and few ssdt with it but still the same.
Do you think the SSDT I am referring to can help my issue ?

Thank you
I would need more background information to understand what might be going on:
  • Which motherboard are you using?
    • Is it the new Gigabyte X299X Designare?
    • If so, let me first say, OMG it has two -- count 'em, TWO -- DisplayPort INPUTs!
      Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 8.38.08 AM.png

20190919094756619eeabf6fb9e845042ebff3fc167cc8e0_src.png
    • Excuse me while I drool over this for a moment...
  • To troubleshoot the Thunderbolt issue, please do the following:
    • First, we must temporarily delete the Thunderbolt SSDT from CLOVER/ACPI/patched and reboot.
    • We can also unload the Thunderbolt SSDT from the Clover Boot Menu itself by select the Options icon. One of the sub-menus under ACPI (if I remember correctly) shows all the SSDTs that will be loaded, along with a checkbox next to each. Simply uncheck the Thunderbolt SSDT.
  • If the Thunderbolt SSDT is causing the boot failure, then temporarily disabling it should allow the system to boot.
  • Once booted, we need 2 files:
    • Download and run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As... then upload that saved file.
    • Download and run MaciASL 1.5.6 or newer from here.
      • The moment it launches, it might automatically open your system's DSDT. But if it does not, simply select File --> New from ACPI --> DSDT as shown:
      • Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 8.51.39 AM.png
    • Then save the DSDT (File --> Save As...) and upload it.

Last edited:
Back