Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

This @CaseySJ Build went smoothly into 10.15.2 (19C57). Seemed to freeze, but patience lead to a successful install.
I performed the same update last night and yes, the progress bar takes some time to begin moving -- both at the initial boot screen with Apple logo and again during the actual install phase. If we just leave it alone, it will work.

Last edited:
I would need more background information to understand what might be going on:
  • Which motherboard are you using?
  • To troubleshoot the Thunderbolt issue, please do the following:
    • First, we must temporarily delete the Thunderbolt SSDT from CLOVER/ACPI/patched and reboot.
    • You can also unload the Thunderbolt SSDT from the Clover Boot Menu itself by select the Options icon. One of the sub-menus under ACPI (if I remember correctly) shows you all the SSDTs that will be loaded, along with a checkbox next to each. Simply uncheck the Thunderbolt SSDT.
  • If the Thunderbolt SSDT is causing the boot failure, then temporarily disabling it should allow the system to boot.
  • Once booted, we need 2 files:
    • Download and run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As... then upload that saved file.
    • Download and run MaciASL 1.5.6 or newer from here.
      • The moment it launches, it might automatically open your system's DSDT. But if it does not, simply select File --> New from ACPI --> DSDT as shown:
      • View attachment 440089
    • Then save the DSDT (File --> Save As...) and upload it.

Hey @CaseySJ,

First, thank you for answering me. Yes, this is the new X299X Designare from Gigabyte.
The weird things is, it blocks at the line I told you before so I can't boot and export the DSDT.Even if I disable the thunderbolt in the BIOS. So, I test some ssdt with the DTPG one and nothing work. So, I didn't what to try now..

thank you

Hey @CaseySJ,

First, thank you for answering me. Yes, this is the new X299X Designare from Gigabyte.
The weird things is, it blocks at the line I told you before so I can't boot and export the DSDT.Even if I disable the thunderbolt in the BIOS. So, I test some ssdt with the DTPG one and nothing work. So, I didn't what to try now..

thank you
Is macOS already installed? Or are you trying to boot from a USB install disk to begin the installation process?

@CaseySJ Thank you! I got it working. I changed the SMBIOS settings to say 4 sticks of 16gb ram and it now recognizes my 2 sticks of 32gb Ram. I added the type and frequency, didn't bother with serial numbers or part numbers. Though I suppose I could add those so they serial number will show in About This Mac.

Once again thanks, and for anyone who is hanging on the apple logo look at the memory settings on SMBIOS in Clover Configurator
I was about to ship my memory back to the store I got it from.... maybe I'll try this before I let it go! Thanks for the update!!!

Is macOS already installed? Or are you trying to boot from a USB install disk to begin the installation process?

MacOS is already installed yes, on a Samsung 970 1Tb

I would need more background information to understand what might be going on:
  • Which motherboard are you using?
  • To troubleshoot the Thunderbolt issue, please do the following:
    • First, we must temporarily delete the Thunderbolt SSDT from CLOVER/ACPI/patched and reboot.
    • We can also unload the Thunderbolt SSDT from the Clover Boot Menu itself by select the Options icon. One of the sub-menus under ACPI (if I remember correctly) shows all the SSDTs that will be loaded, along with a checkbox next to each. Simply uncheck the Thunderbolt SSDT.
  • If the Thunderbolt SSDT is causing the boot failure, then temporarily disabling it should allow the system to boot.
  • Once booted, we need 2 files:
    • Download and run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As... then upload that saved file.
    • Download and run MaciASL 1.5.6 or newer from here.
      • The moment it launches, it might automatically open your system's DSDT. But if it does not, simply select File --> New from ACPI --> DSDT as shown:
      • View attachment 440089
    • Then save the DSDT (File --> Save As...) and upload it.

The 2x10GBE and USB 3.2 certainly interests me.

MacOS is already installed yes, on a Samsung 970 1Tb
Okay, so you should be able to disable the Thunderbolt Hotplug SSDT from the Clover Boot Menu -- before macOS boot begins!

At the Clover Boot Menu, select Options. Under that will be an ACPI menu (if I recall correctly, but go through the various options). One of the submenus will list all SSDTs. Uncheck the Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT and then boot macOS.

Perhaps I missed it somewhere, but is there a newer method to get H.264 working? "shikigva=60" is causing a kernel panic for me on boot.

In addition, i made the bootable backup, (tested it works and is sitting unplugged inside my case).

The 2x10GBE and USB 3.2 certainly interests me.
I'd like to build a successor to the Z390 Designare that trounces the new 2019 Mac Pro in terms of price/performance. This motherboard seems like an ideal starting point, but I want to wait for Intel's 10th-gen Ice Lake processors...

Perhaps I missed it somewhere, but is there a newer method to get H.264 working? "shikigva=60" is causing a kernel panic for me on boot.

In addition, i made the bootable backup, (tested it works and is sitting unplugged inside my case).
For now, replace that with this:
Code:
shikigva=32
shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94

Back