Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

For now, replace that with this:
Code:
shikigva=32
shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94
Thanks will try that later tonight. Appreciate the help. This machine is a beast already!

Has anyone noticed a long startup time for "Activity Monitor" app? When I'm running on iMac19,1, the app takes about 5 bounces before it opens. When I switch to iMacPro1,1, the app opens immediately. Granted I'm on a different board (Z390 Aorus Pro), but curious if this is also happening on other systems and what could be causing it.

It takes exactly 5 bounces for me too when my system is lightly loaded. I'm using the reference hardware for this thread, with the exception being an i9-9900k. This is on 10.15.2 with an iMac 19,1 SMBIOS.

I generally notice more beach balls too in Catalina as opposed to Mojave (10.14.6), which I still have installed and boot into too for some use cases...

Netflix and Prime video are not working for me. Can anyone summarize what's happening with DRM? Is this an issue for everyone or just a few specific video cards?
Same issue for me

It takes exactly 5 bounces for me too when my system is lightly loaded. I'm using the reference hardware for this thread, with the exception being an i9-9900k. This is on 10.15.2 with an iMac 19,1 SMBIOS.

I generally notice more beach balls too in Catalina as opposed to Mojave (10.14.6), which I still have installed and boot into too for some use cases...

Thank you for testing that, so it seems to be across the board when using iMac19,1. I checked a couple of my real mac laptops here at home and that app opens instantly on all of them. Wonder what happens on a real iMac19,1.

Netflix and Prime video are not working for me. Can anyone summarize what's happening with DRM? Is this an issue for everyone or just a few specific video cards?

I've been following the DRM thing on a few different threads and sites. It looks like those running Vega and newer are not having the issue. Those that are running Polaris RX 4xx-5xx cards seem to be most affected. DRM works in most places (sometimes requiring weg boot arguments) but you can get TV app, iTunes working. The problem is with DRM in Safari with sites like Netflix/Prime, and it looks like the WEG team is aware of it and working on it.

If I'm on iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS, the machine will completely lock up when trying to visit these sites in safari. On iMac19,1 headless, the site will give an error but not lock up the machine.

Okay, so you should be able to disable the Thunderbolt Hotplug SSDT from the Clover Boot Menu -- before macOS boot begins!

At the Clover Boot Menu, select Options. Under that will be an ACPI menu (if I recall correctly, but go through the various options). One of the submenus will list all SSDTs. Uncheck the Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT and then boot macOS.
I already tried with no SSDT at all and I have the same lines.

I've been following the DRM thing on a few different threads and sites. It looks like those running Vega and newer are not having the issue. Those that are running Polaris RX 4xx-5xx cards seem to be most affected. DRM works in most places (sometimes requiring weg boot arguments) but you can get TV app, iTunes working. The problem is with DRM in Safari with sites like Netflix/Prime, and it looks like the WEG team is aware of it and working on it.

If I'm on iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS, the machine will completely lock up when trying to visit these sites in safari. On iMac19,1 headless, the site will give an error but not lock up the machine.

I'd like to see testing done on 5700 XT but I only have RX 580.

I already tried with no SSDT at all and I have the same lines.
  • Did this problem occur when installing macOS?
  • Have you been able to login to macOS at all so far?
  • Although the boot process stops after displaying the Thunderbolt Power Conservation message, it does not necessarily mean that it is caused by Thunderbolt. It may be caused by the next operation that takes place in the boot kernel.
  • Please try this:
    • Insert the USB install disk.
    • Press F12 at boot to bring up the BIOS boot menu.
    • Select the USB disk.
    • When Clover Boot Menu appears, press F4 to export the ACPI tables. They will be saved in the CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder in the EFI partition of the USB flash disk.
    • Remove the USB flash disk and insert it into a working Mac.
    • Mount EFI partition of the USB flash disk.
    • ZIP the files in CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder and upload.
This might give us some additional clues.

I'd like to see testing done on 5700 XT but I only have RX 580.
I own the Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT, and I confirm that in Safari Netflix and Prime Video do not work

I own the Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT and I confirm that in Safari Netflix and Prime Video do not work

I was able to make them work with an RX 580 with some trickery.

iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS, iGPU disabled in BIOS, WEG 1.3.5, and shikigva=128 boot flag (no shiki-id as we're actual iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS so no board spoof needed).

On an RX 580 this causes freezes, unless you download this special iTunes Movie trailer that has DRM (linked in the Shiki manual on WhateverGreen GitHub). If I start and pause that video, leaving it paused, I can play Amazon Prime and Netflix in Safari without errors or freezes.

If I had a 5700 XT, I would see if it changed anything in that test scenario. Ideally, it would fix the freezes and not require the trailer trick.

Back