Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@jrebergen,

Slow startup times can be due to corrupted CMOS. Even though you have disks A and B which are clones of each other, they have different identifiers stored in CMOS/NVRAM.

Suggestion 1:
  • Shutdown the system and flip power switch on PSU for 10 seconds to fully cut power from the system. Then turn it back on. Does the original drive still boot slowly?
Suggestion 2:
  • Reset CMOS by shorting the two designated pins on the motherboard. Please follow the instruction in the Designare user's manual.
  • When the system restarts, enter BIOS Setup and configure BIOS parameters once again starting with Save & Exit --> Load Optimized Defaults.
  • Does the original drive still boot slowly?
Thanks for your reply! I did suggestion 1 a while ago, but with no effect. I will try suggestion 2 in the near future as this takes some more preparation. I have to get some work done first. ;)
A update to this question; still haven't done a CMOS reset (probably not valid, but I find this a bit scary), but found something else. I've unchecked 'Debug' in Clover Boot Section. Now a cold boot till desktop takes 52 seconds, much faster (it skips the testing section)! What does this tell you, is it still CMOS related or does this point in another direction? And what are the drawbacks of not using 'Debug'?

Not related to above question, but something I discovered testing above. As mentioned I have 2 identical MX500 SSD's, first in line is MacOS, second is the MacOS Backup. Without using CCC the nvram.plist on both discs are identical and have the same timestamps. So even though only one OS is loaded, MacOS keeps both nvram.plist up-to-date? Does this matter?

Boot Section Debug.png

edit: forgot screenshot

Last edited:
it is HIGHLY unlikely that your EFI partition has disappeared
Yes, the "diskutil list" command gives me the EFI partitions, the Hack starts and works normally as well. But I can no longer access the EFI partitions and I really don't know how it happened.
So, if nothing else is possible, can I delete the EFI partition with the terminal and copy and paste the EFI folder I could find? Is installing Windows to delete the partition and copy a new EFI folder on it also a solution?
I am looking for solutions that would allow me to repair the EFI partition without having to reinstall everything.

After all the laps I've taken, and you've taken
Sometimes it is easier than we think. I have put profile 1 and I have gone to memory Enhancement settings and I have put enhanced stability and it is going well. Now to resign if the bios comes out and it does not give me error and finally it is at 3200 MHz.

Attachments

• bios.jpg
    bios.jpg
    958.7 KB · Views: 71
Hi everyone,

I was following the Catalina guide, and wanted to change my SMBios to iMac 19,1 from Mac mini and also change to headless before making a backup of my system, and made a mistake somewhere. I was on 10.4.4, which I think matters? I can’t seem to boot my computer at all... clover is giving me the below error. Somebody please help!! T_T thank you in advance!!
iMac 19,1 is not supported in the standard macOS 10.14.4 because this particular iMac was released afterwards. If you update to 10.14.5 (preferably 10.14.6) then you’ll be fine.

@CaseySJ

Did try the Catalina upgrade but now now I'm stuck with a "No Signal" state (after > 2 hours)... I do have the latest Lilu, AppleALC, and WhateverGreen and Clover. I'm running out of ideas ...

I did remove my RTX 2060 ...

EDIT: I was able to boot with my Mojave USB drive. Now everything works but my Intel HW acceleration is disabled (my RTX 2060 isn't installed) . How can I bring it back ?
Hi CaseySJ,
I restored from backup working Mojave, everything is ready for upgrade. Follow this instruction carefully every single step, now I am able to reboot #3 which means no more “install”. After couple minutes restart, I hit “scary” black screen again. I think I have Clover v4957, not sure if this is a factor. I have all latest kexts inside L/E and Others. Please advise.
Please see bottom of Post #8832 where switching from DisplayPort to HDMI was able to restore video signal. This is not a proper solution, of course, but if this works for you then we can try to figure out the real solution.

Hey guys, non-hackintosh question...

I was experimenting with my build and I accidentally stripped a screw on one of the NVMe heat sinks, such an idiot. I also cut one finger with a metal sticker, it was a bloodbath lol. The drive is fine and didn't break anything else, but does anyone know how can I get that screw out so I can replace it with a good one?

Cheers!
Usually for stripped screws the 'nuclear option' I use is a Dremel tool to 're-slot' the screw and then use a flat-head screwdriver to get it out, but you risk slipping and damaging something else.

Depending on the shape of the screw and whether it has enough of a rough surface for gripping, you could try using some combination pliers or angled pliers?
I did the same thing several years ago on my 2008 Mac Pro. Didn’t want to take any chances so I took it to a local repair shop that actually does repairs rather than replacements. Their technicians do this type of thing all the time. So if the screw is not too severely stripped or otherwise too difficult to remove, this is an option...

Planning on a New Hackintosh Build with these parts:

Gigabyte Designare Z390
Intel i5-9600K
BE QUIET! Dark Rock 4
Asus ROG-STRIX-RX560-4G-GAMING , maybe it works OOB!?
Samsung 500GB 2,5" SATA3 860
BitFenix Formula 550W Gold (BP-FM550ULAG-9R)
TP-LINK Archer T9E AC1900

and 32GB RAM kit, 16x2 GB. Maybe: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz F4-3200C16D-32GVK

Does anyone use this memory? I can't see this memory on motherboard QVL list. Just like that: F4-3200C16D-16GVKB This is an 2x8GB model.

Some one with this problem ?
My machine is Z390 Designer / 9900K NVME 970evo plus. I use SMbios 19,1.
I make update from 10.14.6 to 10.15.0
I already make firmware update to NVMe, and, untill now, there is no problem.

IMG_3098.jpg
IMG_3099.jpg

Quick question. If I were to install Windows 10 on a SATA-drive instead of an NVMe-drive.
Will the same problem with the EFI-folder on NVMe M2M still occur?

iMac 19,1 is not supported in the standard macOS 10.14.4 because this particular iMac was released afterwards. If you update to 10.14.5 (preferably 10.14.6) then you’ll be fine.

gotcha! Is there a guide/post you can point me to? I’m not sure how I can update my Mac OS X at this point... sorry and thank you!

also thank you to everyone else for the inputs!

Back