Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi Casey,

I wondered if you or anyone else had gotten any further with this? You explanation is fantastic and very educational! It seems that getting full thunderbolt functionality is indeed possible... I'm very excited to be able to use my Antelope Orion through Thunderbolt! ;)
Hello @ralphonz,

We're not sure how much of Thunderbolt we can realize on our Hackintosh. There are several layers to this problem. For example:
  • We've enabled hot plug capability.
  • We're struggling with eGPU capability while retaining hot plug.
  • We've not succeeded with Thunderbolt Bus or Local Node on a TB3 system so far.
I should note that Thunderbolt Local Node (Target Disk Mode, Target Display Mode) seems to be a proprietary software layer developed by Apple for the Mac. It is not available on PCs, and therefore UEFI firmware on retail motherboards does not contain any of the required drivers.

Although there is a lot of interest in fully enabling Thunderbolt on Hackintosh, I do not know when or if this will happen. So I always advise people who really need these capabilities to purchase a real Mac for the time being.

I believe you are indeed getting full 5K via two DisplayPort streams! The log looks identical to that of the MacBook Pro:

View attachment 423054 View attachment 423055

Some questions:
  • Which motherboard are you using?
  • Are you getting 5K with the Thunderbolt header connected (THB_C)?
  • Have you tried disconnecting the Thunderbolt header?
    • I know you're asking others to try it without the header, but have you personally attempted it?
  • With the THB_C header connected, do the FaceTime camera, speakers, microphone, and USB ports work?
  • You are specifically selecting the Orinoco frame buffer in Clover Configurator and you have Inject Intel check on?
- ASUS PRIME Z370-A
- Yes
- Yes, more on this below
- Yes, yes, yes and yes!
- I had initially set Orinoco framebuffer with no Inject Intel (with headless iGPU setup) as several guides were suggesting it, but after deleting it the default auto-selected framebuffer gets me much more fluid UI (switched back a while ago). Sorry for offtopic!

Initially I had the GC-Alpine Ridge card working on Designare without Thunderbolt header, but it wasn't reliable at all. First, it wasn't working and I started thinking the card is defective. Suddenly, it started working, but after each successful boot, second boot was getting completely stuck on initial BIOS screen when connected devices are listed. This made me wonder if I can power the card externally for stable boots. I chased down a powered PCIe riser card (photo attached) which are commonly used in mining farms, but also I saw several eGPU guides using them for Thunderbolt-only screens. After some more testing I couldn't get the card working on the new motherboard without the Thunderbolt header, with or without the riser. On some eGPU forums I've read there is significant delay that can take many minutes before the card starts working this way, here is one I could find (link):
initiation period might be several minutes. One time it took nearly 10 minutes.

I wonder if it's just me or it's generally an unreliable solution to use a Thunderbolt card without a Thunderbolt header on the motherboard.

@kolyasapphire thanks so much for writing back. I'm on the same boat as you. But, since I don't have any hardware, yet, I'm just trying to find out people using this display and see what are their results. I already posted and contacted with a few users on other forums.

May I ask if you got 5k res without Whatevergreen, is there any other problems in the rig? Everything works? wake, sleep, cam, mic, speakers, etc.? Performance drop?

Also, have you tried disconnecting the TB3 header?
No problem! The only annoyance is that without WhateverGreen boot time is much longer, but I'll sacrifice it for 5K any day :) Can't tell anything about sleep / wake as I started from a minimal config, yet to find out. Haven't noticed any performance degradation, but potentially performance can be even better because the display is configured properly and no scaling is happening, but much more experienced people here can say for sure.
BTW! I found a tutorial on how to get 5k on the LG a few weeks ago and at one part it says this

Maybe this is old advice already but just wanted to share, or do not applies to you as you use another GPU.

Also he says to go to Windows and update the firmware of the TB3 card, as well as the firmware on the LG by using the App store mac app.

I've sent a message to this person to see his output from the diagnose command but he never replied me back, so can't assure he's really running at 5k. Ping me on private and I will share the link to his blog.
The screen is showing the latest FW version and I didn't see any GC-Alpine Ridge rev 2 updates (only for first version).
I actually just remembered that WhateverGreen fixed the quicklook functionality among other things :)
I think it's this kext(link), I'll look into what it does aside from disabling the board-id check, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7438.jpeg
    IMG_7438.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 70
No problem! The only annoyance is that without WhateverGreen boot time is much longer, but I'll sacrifice it for 5K any day :) Can't tell anything about sleep / wake as I started from a minimal config, yet to find out. Haven't noticed any performance degradation, but potentially performance can be even better because the display is configured properly and no scaling is happening, but much more experienced people here can say for sure.
How much longer? It won't be a huge problem for me either because I usually don't turn off my mac, only let it go to sleep.

Please let us know your findings! I'm extremely interested on this. I just need to hear from someone that the LG along with the Hackintosh works great.

Those changes do not affect Messages and FaceTime. Instead, please check the following:
  • EmuVariableUefi-64.efi is installed in CLOVER/drivers64UEFI (Clover 4xxx) or CLOVER/drivers/UEFI (Clover 5xxx).
  • WiFi and BT are working.

• EmuVariableUefi-64.efi it's not installed , Facetime was working OK without it ,
  • WiFi and BT are working 100%

Thanks again for this awesome guide and all the help. Just did a fresh install on my new Designare board and it's running very smooth and fast.

One thing I was confused about is the WiFi and Bluetooth card. Can the factory one just be swapped out with an Apple card? Or do you have to use a PCIe style one? Wanted some clarification on that. Appreciate everything!

@CaseySJ
I have a sleep problem.
I go to sleep, the monitor goes off then to energy saving mode.
The fans continue to run, the lights stay on. Comes back no probs.
Is it really sleeping?
It is in FCPX mode, 19.1, no darkwake although I tried darkwake=0

What should I check?

Cheers

Last edited:
Some suggestions after looking through the CLOVER folder and /L/E screenshot:
  • Set CPU --> Type to 0x1005 as shown because you have an i9-9900K.
    View attachment 423107
  • In the drivers/BIOS folder there is a copy of ApfsDriverLoader.efi. Is it necessary? If not, it's better to remove it.
    View attachment 423108
If these changes have no effect, then please try installing VirtualSMC in /L/E folder itself as follows:
  • Copy these files to /Library/Extensions:
    • VirtualSMC.kext
    • SMCProcessor.kext
    • SMCSuperIO.kext
  • Then rebuild kernel cache:
    • Simply run Kext Utility
  • Inject Kexts is already set to Detect, so you're good there.

@CaseySJ Followed all your suggestions, but still no way to make VirtualSMC 1.07 to work, as side effect ,still can't log in FaceTime

Thanks again, for your time!!

Hi I tried updating to 10.14.6 and it seems stuck at the purple horizontal lines . How long is this supposed to take ? Luckily I have a backup but any tips when I retry ? Thanks

Hi I tried updating to 10.14.6 and it seems stuck at the purple horizontal lines . How long is this supposed to take ? Luckily I have a backup but any tips when I retry ? Thanks
You should pass the purple (pink for some) lines pretty quickly, these are caused by a clearing out of the dGPU memory buffer.

OK. Thanks. Updated Clover, and it seems to work

Last edited:
Back