Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ thank you for the awesome work here. I saw a few of your posts where you don't recommend turning the WiFI/BT port back on in your SSDT. However, I have seen in other threads with the Z390 Designare where people have had success with replacing the CNVI with success.
Interesting. Have they replaced it with a Broadcom-based module? Can you point us to any links?
I plan to try this, and I am curious if your configuration for the TB3 by default does leave the CNVI port enabled unless we use the SSDT to turn it off?
The USB SSDT disables HS14 by default. My understanding of the CNVi is as follows:
  • The Intel Z390 chipset has built-in support for WiFi 5 and Bluetooth 5. (Intel Wireless-AC 9560)
  • However, WiFi and BT are composed of two important halves:
    • The digital part of the circuit
    • The RF/Analog part of the circuit
  • The digital part of the circuit is built into the chipset itself.
  • The RF/Analog part of the circuit is contained in the CNVi module.
  • To make use of WiFi 5 and BT 5, the RF/Analog (CNVi) module must be installed.
Furthermore:
  • My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that the Socket 1 slot that contains the CNVi module is only capable of working with an Intel CNVi module. It is not a general-purpose slot.
Additionally, would your USB SSDT and Case apply to the Lian Li PC011 Dynamic? Its front panel has two USB 3.1 type A ports (HS05/SS05 and HS06/SS06), and a single USB-C port (HS01/SS01). HS11/HS12 I am using for my AiO control. Based the diagram of the USB ports, I believe this should work.
Yes the standard V7 of the USB SSDT should work with the Loan Li PC011 because the ports you describe are the same as those on the Phantek Evolv X on which the SSDT is based.
Finally, does the CNVi (HS14) count against the 15 USB port limit if it were to be enabled?
Yes it does! Which is another reason we disable it by default.

Thanks a lot @CaseySJ for you time, but corrected my config.plist as you suggested and already had Clover updated, but as soon I install VirtualSMC 1.07 get this error:

View attachment 423026
If you can provide the following, I can see if something jumps out...
  • Compress and upload the CLOVER folder from the EFI partition of your Mojave SSD.
    • You may redact serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist.
  • Screenshot of your /Library/Extensions folder.

Interesting. Have they replaced it with a Broadcom-based module? Can you point us to any links?

The USB SSDT disables HS14 by default. My understanding of the CNVi is as follows:
  • The Intel Z390 chipset has built-in support for WiFi 5 and Bluetooth 5. (Intel Wireless-AC 9560)
  • However, WiFi and BT are composed of two important halves:
    • The digital part of the circuit
    • The RF/Analog part of the circuit
  • The digital part of the circuit is built into the chipset itself.
  • The RF/Analog part of the circuit is contained in the CNVi module.
  • To make use of WiFi 5 and BT 5, the RF/Analog (CNVi) module must be installed.
Furthermore:
  • My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that the Socket 1 slot that contains the CNVi module is only capable of working with an Intel CNVi module. It is not a general-purpose slot.

Yes the standard V7 of the USB SSDT should work with the Loan Li PC011 because the ports you describe are the same as those on the Phantek Evolv X on which the SSDT is based.

Yes it does! Which is another reason we disable it by default.
I also want to do this! Looking at the manual looks like it's just a normal M.2 Key E Slot so hopefully it should work.

I did this on the Asus ROG Strix Z370-g Wifi-AC (wasn't Intel CNVi tho). I bought this Apple Wifi Module (bcm94360cs2) and then an adapter for the M.2 Key E slot

Last edited:
If you can provide the following, I can see if something jumps out...
  • Compress and upload the CLOVER folder from the EFI partition of your Mojave SSD.
    • You may redact serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist.
  • Screenshot of your /Library/Extensions folder.

Here it is,

Thanks again!!!

Attachments

• Systemreport.zip
    963 KB · Views: 84
Hi everyone, a quick update to anyone following my quest for full 5K resolution on LG Ultrafine 5K.

I went ahead and rebuilt the system on a mobo with a Thunderbolt header for GC-Alpine Ridge. Initially I still had very weird 4k to 5k scaling until I removed WhateverGreen. I already notice an incredible difference, see both outputs at Window (Active) 2560 x 2880 Window (Scaled) 5120 x 2880, attaching a AGDCDiagnose to double-check.

However, I'm not sure that Thunderbolt header connection is required for this to work. I would greatly appreciate if anyone with a Thunderbolt card disconnected from the Thunderbolt header and LG 5K would be willing to disable WhateverGreen and provide AGDCDiagnose output.

Before that I also removed Orinoco framebuffer setting from Clover which is commonly known as the best framebuffer to have for Apple-recommended RX580 (eg this support document, I specifically chose Sapphire Pulse 8GB because of this). But my GPU was a newer model which got assigned the AMD framebuffer. Switching back greatly improved the overall responsiveness of the UI.

Removing WhateverGreen meant I also had to add a AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy patch or flash the GPU's BIOS, otherwise I had black screen on boot. Clover Configurator actually has this patch built-in, this is a preferred method.
BTW! I found a tutorial on how to get 5k on the LG a few weeks ago and at one part it says this
If you are using AMD card like Vega, add this AMD kext VegaGraphicsFixup.kext to your Other folder in EFI. And all is set to use for AMD user.
Maybe this is old advice already but just wanted to share, or do not applies to you as you use another GPU.

Also he says to go to Windows and update the firmware of the TB3 card, as well as the firmware on the LG by using the App store mac app.

I've sent a message to this person to see his output from the diagnose command but he never replied me back, so can't assure he's really running at 5k. Ping me on private and I will share the link to his blog.

Last edited:
Can you take a video of the first problem with your smartphone (unable to login to Mojave) and share it? I have never seen this issue so the video will help.

First thing to try is to enable CSM Support in BIOS.

Well First Problem is some how fixed , any my concern is Wifi and Bluetooth not working and

"If I turn off the LED for long period of time, I am getting no signal on the screen even after pressing any key on keyboard, and this can only be fixed when I unplug the HDMI cable from RX 580 and plug it back again."

I even enabled the CSM Support its still the same. Please help me with all this on urgent basis as its so irritating.

Thanks

Hitesh Sondhi

There is a higher chance of success with the latest build of Clover (version 5xxx). This is not a guarantee, but it does seem to improve the odds. Please make a full system backup before updating Clover (you will thank me later).

I looked at the "System Report" you uploaded and found two issues with the config.plist. These issues are not likely to affect VirtualSMC, but they should be corrected:
  • Inject Intel checkbox should be disabled because we're using WhateverGreen to configure the iGPU.
  • One of the four USB port limit patches was not disabled.
Both of these fixes are incorporated in the attached file. Please remember to copy serial numbers back into both RtVariables and SMBIOS.

Just noticed that I can't log in iMessage and FaceTime, could it be that unchecking the Inject Intel checkbox and disabling one of the USB por limits left it's affecting that?

Just noticed that I can't log in iMessage and FaceTime, could it be that unchecking the Inject Intel checkbox and disabling one of the USB por limits left it's affecting that?
Those changes do not affect Messages and FaceTime. Instead, please check the following:
  • EmuVariableUefi-64.efi is installed in CLOVER/drivers64UEFI (Clover 4xxx) or CLOVER/drivers/UEFI (Clover 5xxx).
  • WiFi and BT are working.

Well First Problem is some how fixed , any my concern is Wifi and Bluetooth not working and

"If I turn off the LED for long period of time, I am getting no signal on the screen even after pressing any key on keyboard, and this can only be fixed when I unplug the HDMI cable from RX 580 and plug it back again."

I even enabled the CSM Support its still the same. Please help me with all this on urgent basis as its so irritating.

Thanks

Hitesh Sondhi
Let's start with some background information:
  • What is the make/model of the GPU?
  • What is the make/model of the monitor?
  • Is it connected via HDMI-to-HDMI cable (no video adapters such as HDMI-to-DVI)?

Here it is,

Thanks again!!!
Some suggestions after looking through the CLOVER folder and /L/E screenshot:
  • Set CPU --> Type to 0x1005 as shown because you have an i9-9900K.
    Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 2.15.54 PM.png
  • In the drivers/BIOS folder there is a copy of ApfsDriverLoader.efi. Is it necessary? If not, it's better to remove it.
    Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 2.17.59 PM.png
If these changes have no effect, then please try installing VirtualSMC in /L/E folder itself as follows:
  • Copy these files to /Library/Extensions:
    • VirtualSMC.kext
    • SMCProcessor.kext
    • SMCSuperIO.kext
  • Then rebuild kernel cache:
    • Simply run Kext Utility
  • Inject Kexts is already set to Detect, so you're good there.

Back