Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I finally got a GC-Alpine Ridge rev 2 card to get 5K working. It was around 40% cheaper than the newer Titan Ridge based cards on Amazon in case anyone is thinking of buying it. It can be a great deal if only video is required (no microphone, speakers, camera is working of course).

Here is my AGDCDiagnose output. Would appreciate if someone can confirm if it looks like I'm getting 5K on LG Ultrafine - I can spot two DP, 1.2, 4 x HBR2 port outputs, but that's it :) Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• AGDCDiagnose_a.txt
    39.9 KB · Views: 90
Please try the attached CLOVER folder:
  • The CLOVER/drivers64UEFIfolder contained both:
    • AptioMemoryFix
    • OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000
  • Only 1 memory fix driver is allowed; so I've deleted AptioMemoryFix.
  • The CLOVER/ACPI/patchedfolder contained several outdated SSDTs, so the following were replaced/added:
    • USB SSDT updated to V7
    • SSDT-EC.aml added
    • NO-CNVW SSDT added to disable Intel CNVi module
    • Thunderbolt Hot Plug SSDT updated to V4
The config.plist in this CLOVER folder is unmodified, but please remember to copy serial numbers back into RtVariables and SMBIOS.
Casey,

So I'm back in business over here! SMBIOS 19.1 w/ Headless igpu, faster boot times, fully functional sleep and shutdown and as a bonus the system seems a bit snappier.

I did notice that you had deleted "EmuVariableUefi.efi" from my Clover folder and that caused me to be unable to
log back into "iMessages" once the SMBIOS was sorted. Frustrating for sure, but I eventiually figured it out.

Thanks Again for all your hard work!

Best,

Lensjocky

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 11.21.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 11.21.04 AM.png
    267.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 11.22.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 11.22.00 AM.png
    261.1 KB · Views: 76
Casey,

So I'm back in business over here! SMBIOS 19.1 w/ Headless igpu, faster boot times, fully functional sleep and shutdown and as a bonus the system seems a bit snappier.

I did notice that you had deleted "EmuVariableUefi.efi" from my Clover folder and that caused me to be unable to
log back into "iMessages" once the SMBIOS was sorted. Frustrating for sure, but I eventiually figured it out.

Thanks Again for all your hard work!

Best,

Lensjocky
Good to know it's fully operational again.

But please note:
  • I did not delete EmuVariableUefi from your CLOVER folder.
  • You may open the CLOVER.zip file from your post #7185 here. You will find the files in the screenshot below.
  • Note that EmuVariableUefi is already absent from that uploaded ZIP file.
    Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 8.38.26 AM.png
  • I deleted AptioMemoryFix.

I finally got a GC-Alpine Ridge rev 2 card to get 5K working. It was around 40% cheaper than the newer Titan Ridge based cards on Amazon in case anyone is thinking of buying it. It can be a great deal if only video is required (no microphone, speakers, camera is working of course).

Here is my AGDCDiagnose output. Would appreciate if someone can confirm if it looks like I'm getting 5K on LG Ultrafine - I can spot two DP, 1.2, 4 x HBR2 port outputs, but that's it :) Thanks in advance!
I believe it still looks like a single 4096x2304 signal instead of two 2560x2880 signals.

If we look at the bottom of the log from a 2016 MacBook Pro (thanks to @bluepr0) we see two sets of outputs as follows:

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 9.13.33 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 9.13.54 AM.png

The same entries from GC-Alpine Ridge look like this:

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 9.15.16 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 9.15.26 AM.png

@CaseySJ, ok here's where the updated TB patches got me.

IOreg is looking great. No RTPC values are showing, however the structure is looking more and more like it should. Image and IOreg attached below.

View attachment 422774

HotPlug however is not working and IOreg does not update when turning off Apollo Twin. No shut down required to regain access to the Apollo. Restart reengages it.

So what can I give you to help here? You mentioned an OS Kernel Log of sorts. I'll need a brief walk through with that. FYI this is being done with OpenCore but that shouldn't really matter.
It seems as if the Device Specific Methods (DSM) were not invoked. These methods specifically check whether the current OS is Darwin (MacOS). This is done by calling the function OSDW() which is included in the new SSDT-DTPG. The IOReg file indicates that perhaps the new SSDT-DTPG.aml was not copied to the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder...

To answer your question about what specifically to test. Please check the following:
  • Whether RTPC property shows up with the new SSDT-DTPG.
  • Whether hot-plug is still working.
  • Whether system can sleep and wake with Thunderbolt devices attached, and if those attached TB devices also reconnect upon wake.

Looks like it’s not working at 5k

Have you tried connecting it to the mobo? Maybe it needs that. Or is your mobo not supported?.

Strange based on what @joevt said it should work. Maybe he got an idea on how to fix it, if possible.

@CaseySJ, interesting. I can see that I have the right DTPG as it has the OSDW function. I currently have no DSM patches however. I THOUGHT I didn't need the patch with my setup. Is there a way I can confirm this? Or could this just be a difference with having a 370?

In the meantime!

*RTPC property does not show up. Patch deal pending
*Hot-plug is a no go
*Sleep works and UAD Reconnects successfully

Good to know it's fully operational again.

But please note:
  • I did not delete EmuVariableUefi from your CLOVER folder.
  • You may open the CLOVER.zip file from your post #7185 here. You will find the files in the screenshot below.
  • Note that EmuVariableUefi is already absent from that uploaded ZIP file.
    View attachment 422800
  • I deleted AptioMemoryFix.
My bad, I must have deleted it for some reason after my last SMBIOS change... I'm hoping this will be my last upgrade/tinkering till the bugs are shaken out of "Catalina" sometime around Thanksgiving by my best guess.

Be Well Casey.

Casey, you can add to the Thunderbolt compatibility list the Focusrite Red 4 Pre Thunderbolt/Dante interface. I replaced my MOTU 1248 with it, and it works fine with the Startech 3 to X converter including hot plug/power cycling while Hack is still running.

@CaseySJ, interesting. I can see that I have the right DTPG as it has the OSDW function. I currently have no DSM patches however. I THOUGHT I didn't need the patch with my setup. Is there a way I can confirm this? Or could this just be a difference with having a 370?

In the meantime!

*RTPC property does not show up. Patch deal pending
*Hot-plug is a no go
*Sleep works and UAD Reconnects successfully
In the immortal word(s) of Mr. Spock, “Fascinating!” :)

The UPSB device should have a property called PCIThunderbolt. The DSB0 device should have a property called PCIHotplugCapable. Both of these are injected by DSM methods so the absence of these properties indicates that those methods did not run or that OSDW() returned ‘false’.

If you can double-check or post a screenshot of the ACPI/patched folder, it would be helpful. Also, because these files are still a work-in-progress, there’s no need to spend too much more time on them.

Last edited:
Back