Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

hey Casey

I've of course already read that.
I set the Bios to full-speed for all of them and still my system overheats.

Also I have yet to find out what is an acceptable maximum temperature for cores under pressure, because I simply don't know :D
If 85/88ºC is fine then I won't worry, I just want to avoid frying my CPU because I neglected to follow some specific advice from people who have successful setups... call it apprehension.
Hope @svandive has some answers from me from an overclocker's perspective :)

i9-9900K with stock speeds should be around 30-33 when it's idle, around 40-65 when it's moderately working and more when it's under heavy load. I'm not an expert, but that's what I see from people's reports also what I'm experiencing so far with my i9. Over 80 degree is not normal, if it's just a moderate load (surfing the web some dozen tabs open, watching videos, streaming music etc.).

I'm using be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 and it's a huge cooler, but it's work nicely and keep the CPU cool. Another good option is Noctua NH-D15.

Hi everyone,

I successfully set up my new Hackintosh (Mojave 10.14.3), but after 1 week of using I've got a boot problem

The system stop the booting process at

"Start ReadKernelCache"

message. After that, the system totally hangs out.

I made several experiments with BIOS, I realised that if I turn iGPU off all works fine (w/o iGPU of course), "Above 4G processing" option does not help at all.

What could be a problem? Any suggestions/solutions/diagnostic/tweaks are welcome and very appreciated.

@svandive
I am not overclocking (cores get to a max of 4.7GHz) and temps rise to 85/88 degrees during raytracing.
HWMonitorSMC2
Control of the fans is handled by some poltergeist because I am sure not doing anything.

What cooler do you use on the i9-9900K?
what are your temps under stress?
I'm worried since I don't know how high they're supposed to be while crunching.

running in Windows I tried mining bitcoins with all the cores at max and while iCue was running I had no alerts.
the alerts, by the way, are only triggered by HWMonitor (not SMC2) at close to 90ºC.
HWMonitorSMC2 doesn't seem to throw a fit :)

Congrats on getting VirtualSMC working..

I'm using an NZXT Kraken 72 along with liquidctl application to control and interact with the Kraken. This app allows you to define fan curves like you would using CAM in Windows (but textual based interface not GUI). Works great. You could try adding your fans to the Motherboard and allowing it to control speed based on CPU temps. I used to do this before getting liquidctl to compile (Thanks CaseySJ).

My temps idle at 30C, and run up to about a max of 80C when rendering in Maxon 4D.

When I first moved my Rig over to a Thermaltech Core P3 case I didn't do such a great job applying my thermal paste. I had to go back in (after quite a bit of diagnostics) and clean off the Cooler plate / CPU Lid and redo the thermal paste. Ever since then the system has run nice and cool (relatively speaking of course).

I run iStat Menu for my monitor and have run comparisons between what it's showing me for temps and what liquidctl is reporting for temps. My observations have shown they are close enough where I feel comfortable relying on iStat's reports for thermal readings.

I would go back and check your thermal paste application. I've found personally that the Pea method (adding a Pea sized dollop in the center of an extremely clean CPU Lid) is the best approach. However others have had good luck with the crisscross method as well. Just make sure the Cooler plate and the Lid of the CPU are both clean (no old paste residue and absolutely no finger print oil or skin cells / dust).

@CaseySJ, ok here's where the updated TB patches got me.

IOreg is looking great. No RTPC values are showing, however the structure is looking more and more like it should. Image and IOreg attached below.

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 7.13.30 AM.png

HotPlug however is not working and IOreg does not update when turning off Apollo Twin. No shut down required to regain access to the Apollo. Restart reengages it.

So what can I give you to help here? You mentioned an OS Kernel Log of sorts. I'll need a brief walk through with that. FYI this is being done with OpenCore but that shouldn't really matter.

Attachments

• iMac IOreg RP21.ioreg
    7 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
hey Casey

I've of course already read that.
I set the Bios to full-speed for all of them and still my system overheats.

Also I have yet to find out what is an acceptable maximum temperature for cores under pressure, because I simply don't know :D
If 85/88ºC is fine then I won't worry, I just want to avoid frying my CPU because I neglected to follow some specific advice from people who have successful setups... call it apprehension.
Hope @svandive has some answers from me from an overclocker's perspective :)
Here is the best definition I can give you on the CPU Max Thermal limit. The i9-9900K (and I9-9900KF) have a tj.Max of 100C. This means the CPU will clock down cores and or shut cores down if they reach this temperature. I have seen folks move this to 110C with liquid cooling but the chip comes set from the factory with a TJ.MAX configured at 100C. The chip (unless you turn off this feature in the UEFI) will protect its self and try not to melt down on you.

I would download an application in Windows called Core Temp and AIDA64 Extreme. Run the burn in test and it will show you a graph of the CPU temps and will tell you if throttling is happening because of those temps.

Last edited:
@echosat1 @svandive
I think I have fixed my cooling issues.

Essentially, I had no way of controlling both radiator's fans from the SYS_FAN header I had left and ordered a splitter.
They are now running both of SYS_FAN at full throttle and the cores are much cooler now.
At idle with just this browser window running and Spotify open but paused I get 27-30ºC.
I also just ran GeekBench 4, and they never shot past 60ºC with some cores reaching peaks of 4900MHz.

The Corsair H100i Pro I have seems to handle the CPU quite well now, and I'm happy I purchased it.

Thank you for your support, fellows. I really appreciate the feedback on my questions :)

UPDATE:
I just ran a Fusion 360 rendering of my scene and performances are quite interesting and reassuring

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-08-23 at 14.37.56.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-23 at 14.37.56.png
    759.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot 2019-08-23 at 14.36.28.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-23 at 14.36.28.png
    173.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I successfully set up my new Hackintosh (Mojave 10.14.3), but after 1 week of using I've got a boot problem

The system stop the booting process at

"Start ReadKernelCache"

message. After that, the system totally hangs out.

I made several experiments with BIOS, I realised that if I turn iGPU off all works fine (w/o iGPU of course), "Above 4G processing" option does not help at all.

What could be a problem? Any suggestions/solutions/diagnostic/tweaks are welcome and very appreciated.

SOLVED. BIOS has flashed out automatically from F7 to F6 version (seems after some wrong tweaks in BIOS), after updating to F7 all work

@echosat1 @svandive
I think I have fixed my cooling issues.

Essentially, I had no way of controlling both radiator's fans from the SYS_FAN header I had left and ordered a splitter.
They are now running both of SYS_FAN at full throttle and the cores are much cooler now.
At idle with just this browser window running and Spotify open but paused I get 27-30ºC.
I also just ran GeekBench 4, and they never shot past 60ºC with some cores reaching peaks of 4900MHz.

The Corsair H100i Pro I have seems to handle the CPU quite well now, and I'm happy I purchased it.

Thank you for your support, fellows. I really appreciate the feedback on my questions :)

UPDATE:
I just ran a Fusion 360 rendering of my scene and performances are quite interesting and reassuring
Awesome!! Congrats. Core 4 will normally be the hottest core, so really just always monitor that core.

I did not get the 128GB kit to work (see my posts). And so far, I haven’t heard of anyone who did that. It is possible for sure! But at this point, it is not certain how and which brand of RAM. I couldn’t get any RAM with XMP for a decent price for example.
Thank you so much. I'll go for a 64Gb kit then.

that file is in CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder as per your guide.
At some point I will re-install the CNVI module and try the de-bug reset.
working fine now...

thanks

Back