Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Do you mind sharing what are the main advantages of using it vs Clover?

@CaseySJ, stop me if this is too far off topic.

I don't know that there are any. I'm sure someone more informed can give a run down of the benefits. The truth is it was a fun challenge to go through. It does however seem cleaner and more slimmed down to me. It forced me to go back through my patches and all and pay attention to what's going on. I had a ton of redundancy and now my setup is more simple. I like that!

@pbryanw oh boy you mean you've watched me get it all wrong over and over again :)

Last edited:
My system is below if anyone with the same specs has issues should try this guide.
CPU : i7 9700K
MB : z390 Aorus Master
GPU : Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro +
M2 SSD : 970 EVO
I’m looking to use that same mobo but the WiFi version, did you have to change anything on this guide to make it work with your mobo? Thanks!

With the price of Samsung 970 EVO's what they are, has anyone found issues in running two M.2 drives to separate OS and Home folders, as CaseySJ suggests?
There should not be any issues with that setup. However, my configuration is as follows:
  • M2M slot: Sabrent Rocket NVMe 256GB PCIe SSD: Windows 10
  • M2P slot: Sabrent Rocket NVMe 512GB PCIe SSD: Mojave O/S
  • SATA2 port (third one): 1TB SATA SSD: Mojave Home disk

@CaseySJ I've been reading the guide you linked a few days ago regarding creating our own SSDT path for usb and seems pretty easy. However I'm planning to use a similar motherboard (Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi) so I can install Titan Ridge card, but I'm not entirely clear how do you do the patching and/or hot plug for Thunderbolt.

I've found a user's build that includes a SSDT path for this but I would like to understand the process and create my own myself (alongside with the DTPG path). I think he even mentions you! Do you got any ideas on where I can start to take a look at this?.

Thanks a lot!

@CaseySJ I've been reading the guide you linked a few days ago regarding creating our own SSDT path for usb and seems pretty easy. However I'm planning to use a similar motherboard (Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi) so I can install Titan Ridge card, but I'm not entirely clear how do you do the patching and/or hot plug for Thunderbolt.

I've found a user's build that includes a SSDT path for this but I would like to understand the process and create my own myself (alongside with the DTPG path). I think he even mentions you! Do you got any ideas on where I can start to take a look at this?.

Thanks a lot!
Modifying the Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT is very easy. Once your system is assembled, simply upload your IOReg file and I’ll show you how to modify the file by yourself.

@CaseySJ
Thank you for your great tutorial!

I've been looking at new hardware for about two years and thanks to your tutorial I finally decided to upgrade my main development machine.

I got myself a Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme, Intel i9-9900k, 32GB HyperX Predator, Cooler Master ML240P Mirage, Sapphire Vega 56 and Fenvi FV-T919 Wifi/BT card (and used the rest from my old system).

Except for a problem with the Fenvi card the installation process was really straight forward (thanks to your guide). For some reason I can't use the Fenvi card in a PCIEx1 slot. It only works if I put in in the PCIEx8 slot. When I put it in either one of the PCIEx1 slots the system won't boot.

When I put it in either one of the PCIEx1 slots the system won't boot.
From what I've read in previous posts here, you'll need to disable the Intel wifi when using the Fenvi card in PCIe x1 slots. I'm sure that CaseySJ will be able to point you to instructions for that. Possibly some other Gigabyte Aorus Z390 owners as well.

From what I've read in previous posts here, you'll need to disable the Intel wifi when using the Fenvi card in PCIe x1 slots. I'm sure that CaseySJ will be able to point you to instructions for that. Possibly some other Gigabyte Aorus Z390 owners as well.

I did place the NO-CNVW.aml in the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder. That did not make a difference.

hmm... just checked the IORegistryExplorer. There is an "CNVW@14,3" entry under the PCI devices.

Last edited:
Back