Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

That's the thing it works on the Mac Mini, Xbox, same port and everything. If anything I have a WiFi/Bluetooth card on the way, so maybe that will work. Defeats the purpose on even using HDMI though.
TVs tend to be somewhat finicky with Hackintoshes. If you have an HDMI-capable computer monitor with built-in speakers, you can at least verify that HDMI Audio is working. On the other hand, you may also download and run IORegistryExplorer, connect computer to the Samsung TV via HDMI, then select File --> Save As... and upload the saved file. That file will give us some information on the HDAU device (HDAU = HDmi AUdio).

TVs tend to be somewhat finicky with Hackintoshes. If you have an HDMI-capable computer monitor with built-in speakers, you can at least verify that HDMI Audio is working. On the other hand, you may also download and run IORegistryExplorer, connect computer to the Samsung TV via HDMI, then select File --> Save As... and upload the saved file. That file will give us some information on the HDAU device (HDAU = HDmi AUdio).
I didn't know that's what HDAU was, lol! I'll have to double check in IORegistryExplorer, but something was crossed out in red on it . Not sure if it was in there, but I'll check later on.

This is precisely the reason why I recommend the Fenvi FV-T919 exclusively. The OsxWiFi card is another option, but significantly more expensive. We truly play the lottery when we purchase Broadcom modules from unknown third parties.

Under normal circumstances I'd say you are right, but same cards work on my 2nd build OOB (and part numbers match, too, so...)

Yes you can. Both RX 580s should be automatically recognized. However, do not use SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2.aml from Post-Install Files.zip. It's not needed with macOS 10.14.5 and later.
Thank you, greatly appreciate it

Actually we don't need anything extra for that!
  • Set Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007 (non-headless)
  • Connect DisplayPort from AMD video card to DP-In port on the rear IO panel
  • Now both of the Thunderbolt ports are ready for connecting to Thunderbolt monitors
  • The iGPU will drive one TB monitor
  • The dGPU will drive the other TB monitor
But if you are crazy like @JayShay :) and want to add a 3rd Thunderbolt display, then you'll need the GC-Alpine Ridge card instead of the GC-Titan Ridge. Refer to this post:
Ah yeah but I wasn’t counting the iGPU because of the crashes with Final Cut :(

After copying the new files into /Library/Extensions it is necessary to rebuild kernel cache by running Kext Utility. Several ways to recover:
  • If you forgot to rebuild kernel cache, do the following:
    • At Clover Boot Menu, select the Recovery volume.
    • When it boots up, launch Terminal from the Utilities menu.
    • Type the following:
      Code:
      cd /
      kextcache -i /Volumes/Mojave
    • Replace "Mojave" above with the actual name of your Mojave SSD if it's something else.
    • Then type "reboot"
    • Now see if you can boot into Mojave.
  • You can also boot from the USB install disk or from your Bootable Backup that you created with Carbon Copy Cloner.
    • If you didn't create a Bootable Back disk, now you know why you should!
    • When the system boots, login and run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel cache.
Damn! I forgoten about kext utility! Thank you so much! Purple lines are a thing of the past. now only one multi-colored small strip)

@sidhellman @CaseySJ i brought up the topic of the new LG 5K display and if seems it might not be running as it’s full potential, for more info check this post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/lg-ultrafine-5k-build.208025/page-54#post-1993963
Glancing briefly at the Thunderbolt 3 spec, I am reminded that it supports two DisplayPort 4K streams or a single DisplayPort 5K stream. Reference link.

Alpine Ridge: DisplayPort 1.2 (so only two DisplayPort 1.2 streams are supported)

Titan Ridge: DisplayPort 1.4 (supports dual DP 1.2 streams and single DP 1.4 5K stream)
  • We suspect that the old LG 5K is using the two DP 1.2 streams to drive the left and right sides of the display.
  • The new LG 5K is probably capable of both modes:
    • Mode 1: Combining dual DP 1.2 streams
      • Needed for backward compatibility?
    • Mode 2: Using a single DP 1.4 5K stream

Last edited:
Ah yeah but I wasn’t counting the iGPU because of the crashes with Final Cut :(
Good point! In that case the GC-Alpine Ridge is the answer, but realize that it can only be used to pass a DisplayPort signal to a Thunderbolt monitor. It cannot be used to connect other Thunderbolt devices because there's no THB_C header on the Designare.

Thank you for this incredibly detailed guide @CaseySJ!
I found myself in need of a larger motherboard because I could only fit one PCIe card on my Gigabyte Z170mx Gaming 5.
Looking around, I almost lost faith but then bumped into this.
I've carefully read all the instructions, updates and special cases and decided to order one of these boards.
The sole fact that you can have hotplug onboard TB3 is mind-blowing.
I've ordered it with an i9-9900K and an additional SSD, so I really look forward to setting it up from scratch and later transfer data from my current SSD.

Great work, really! :)

Back