Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

A few minor bugs and if there is any solution to some of them... would be great!
  1. My NAS server is at "login items" so it mounts automatically every time I login to my system. The bug is that when it mounts I have two icons of my NAS on my desktop.
  2. Boot time to desktop is slow, it takes a couple of minutes. From what I have seen this is because of trim enabled that causes the delay while booting.
  3. Final Cut Pro X, while rendering, is not using at full the CPU. It renders and CPU most times is at idle 1.3GHz. Also, many times I have lagging while I’m editing in the 1st few secs and then it comes back to normal. I think that has something to do with Intel Quicksync and hackintoshes as I have noticed that other people have this issue, too. (BruceX is giving me 13secs, H265/H264 full support.)
  4. One of my HDDs recently died, and I had to go to Recovery mode to do a First Aid in case I could bring some of my data back. I noticed that when I was in Recovery using Disk Utility, it was keep saying that I have to go to Recovery mode to do First Aid. So I was unable to do it.
  5. My mouse (Microsoft wireless mouse 5000) has a few issues. Microsoft Intellipoint 8.2 is an old version for Mac, and my scroll wheel doesn’t work properly. For example at FCPX, while I'm pushing the wheel left or right in the timeline, it goes very slow. I have tried different settings but I was unable to fix it. Is there any good universal software for mice to work good for macOS?
  6. I have two hackintoshes with Kraken x62 on both of them. I would like to be able to play with the lighting and colors of my AIO, but I don’t have any experience about how to do it. Is there a detailed guide step by step about how to do it?
  7. Not very often purple fonts show up on random software. I imagine that is caused by GPU. Also many people have this issue with RX 580s.
  8. Last, also, any guide about which cards and controllers do I have to buy to have native support for WiFi and Bluetooth? I have read the guide, and I found that a few people have removed CNVi card and put another one (don’t remember the model) in its place to have WiFi/Bluetooth instead of buying a PCIex controller. A detailed guide would be great if it doesn’t exist already.

Recommendation:
  • Install the Intel CNVi module.
  • Continue using the BCM94331 WiFi/BT module.
  • Install the SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml into CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder. This SSDT is available from Post #1 (Post-Install Files.zip).
  • Remove the Broadcom device driver from Windows and let it use the Intel CNVi.
  • Connect the AORUS Xtreme antennas (comes in the box) to the two antenna ports on the rear IO panel. This is necessary in order to use the CNVi module.

I removed the CNVi Card, because it was colliding with my Broadcom card and would freeze the Windows Startup. Another perk is that I'm able to run the system with just one card, but what's really bugging me is why would just the old card work and none of the newer ac cards. Before putting up this rig I was really close to selling it off (which would've left me with great headache, eventually, as I can see now)

It works!!

Just installed Windows 10 Build 1903 (May 2019 Feature Update):
  • Windows NVMe installed in the top M2M slot
  • Mojave NVMe installed in the bottom M2P slot
With this configuration, the Windows installer does not interfere with Clover or EFI partition on the Mojave SSD.

First of all, I would like to thank all the people - especially CaseySJ who helped me with this thread to configure my first nicely working Hackintosh! But concerning interference between OSX and WIN 10, I had just now bad experience with just this configuration. I had my WIN 10 M.2 SSD in slot M2M and after a WIN 10 update on 04. 08. both my OSX and WIN 10 SSD are no longer working properly. The WIN 10 System can boot only via clover and the OSX SSD did not boot. And I found in the Library/Extensions folder of the OSX System a lot of additional kexts. I am not an expert but in all the WIN tools I used the first booting device disk1 is the SATA slot 0 and the M2M slot comes in connection with SATA slot 4. This is also the ranking order of the BIOS. From this experience I would prefer to put the WIN 10 drive to the M2P slot.

I completed the full guide. Now I have a powerful hackintosh working mostly as expected. Here's some minor issues i've been experiencing:

1. Sometimes the computer does not wake from sleep. When I hit the keyboard or mouse, nothing happens, though I see one of the keyboard leds blink whenever a key is pressed. If I hit the power key on the case, the coolers spin and leds on the motherboard light up, but I still have no video out.

Fewer times I have video back, but my keyboard and mouse still don't work. In my desk key are connected through different USB 3 hubs:

hub1 --> hub on my dell U2717 --> hackintosh

I have to cascade the hubs because cables don't reach. I suspect these keyboard issues are related to this setup, so I will further test without those as soon as I have longer cables.

2. My NZXT case has front headphone and mic ports, but they don't work. Anyone has info on how to make these work?

@CaseySJ I was just wondering... do you think if I add another Titan Ridge Card it will work even without Designare having a TB3 header? Because if it works we could actually add another LG Ultrafine 5k for a total of 2 :D

Have no luck getting sound through HDMI, but it does say iMac 19 and reboots just fine. Any other suggestions for HDMI sound? I've read through a few pages from 2017 saying it was supported. Is that true?
  • Did HDMI audio work previously on this monitor or is this the first time you're using it with a Mac or Hack?
  • What is the make/model of the monitor?
  • Are you using a straight HDMI-to-HDMI connection or an adapter (for example, from HDMI to DVI)?
  • Do you get sound from the headphone jack on the rear IO panel or from the headphone jack on the PC case?

Is it safe to say I can follow this guide for my z390 Designare and i9 9900k with dual Rx 580? This is the closest build I've seen yet.
Yes you can. Both RX 580s should be automatically recognized. However, do not use SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2.aml from Post-Install Files.zip. It's not needed with macOS 10.14.5 and later.

External Disks Ejected During Sleep
I'm still trying different solutions, but I'm stuck on this.
Before I couldn't get the sleep working because of my corsair H110i cable USB monitoring, (I unplugged the cable and the sleep/awake it's working awesome). Even my Bluetooth Magic Mouse is working awesome after sleep/wake.

My problem now is my external disk getting eject on wake. It's driving me nuts.
I found this old video, I tried it didn't work out for me.
If you guys have any suggestions I appreciate it.
Have you seen the section External Disks Not Ejected During Sleep?

• Did HDMI audio work previously on this monitor or is this the first time you're using it with a Mac or Hack?
  • What is the make/model of the monitor?
  • Are you using a straight HDMI-to-HDMI connection or an adapter (for example, from HDMI to DVI)?
  • Do you get sound from the headphone jack on the rear IO panel or from the headphone jack on the PC case?
It’s a Samsung qled tv, and this is the first time , Straight hdmi to hdmi. And sound works through headphone jack on the motherboard and the case as well edit and sound did work with the Mac mini that I have

A few minor bugs and if there is any solution to some of them... would be great!
  • My NAS server is at "login items" so it mounts automatically every time I login to my system. The bug is that when it mounts I have two icons of my NAS on my desktop.
If two different filesystems are being mounted, then each will have its own icon on the desktop. For example, if you're connecting the Documents folder and the Backups folder on your NAS, and if each one is configured on the NAS as a shared folder, then each one is treated as a separate "share" or a separate mount point. So please double-click to open the two icons on the desktop and see whether they open the same folder or they open different folders.
  • Boot time to desktop is slow, it takes a couple of minutes. From what I have seen this is because of trim enabled that causes the delay while booting.
Trim should not cause such a delay. You can test this by temporarily disabling it in Kernel and Kext Extensions by clicking the Disable checkbox. If that does not fix it, then try:
  • Shut down and remove power cable for 10 seconds (soft CMOS reset).
  • Alternatively, one can try the full CMOS reset procedure by shorting the two designated pins on motherboard with a flat head screwdriver.
  • Also add -disablegfxfirmware to Boot Arguments in config.plist.
  • Final Cut Pro X, while rendering, is not using at full the CPU. It renders and CPU most times is at idle 1.3GHz. Also, many times I have lagging while I’m editing in the 1st few secs and then it comes back to normal. I think that has something to do with Intel Quicksync and hackintoshes as I have noticed that other people have this issue, too. (BruceX is giving me 13secs, H265/H264 full support.)
Are you using the headless platform ID 0x3E980003? During the render operation, do you see the AMD GPU being highly loaded? Or the iGPU being highly loaded? Do the render times seem reasonable despite the relatively low CPU usage?

• One of my HDDs recently died, and I had to go to Recovery mode to do a First Aid in case I could bring some of my data back. I noticed that when I was in Recovery using Disk Utility, it was keep saying that I have to go to Recovery mode to do First Aid. So I was unable to do it.
That's odd. Here's something to try:
  • Boot into Recovery Volume.
  • Open Terminal and you will see the pound-sign prompt --> #
  • Type csrutil enable
    • This command will only run in Recovery mode.
    • Did the command run properly?
  • Type csrutil disable to undo.
  • My mouse (Microsoft wireless mouse 5000) has a few issues. Microsoft Intellipoint 8.2 is an old version for Mac, and my scroll wheel doesn’t work properly. For example at FCPX, while I'm pushing the wheel left or right in the timeline, it goes very slow. I have tried different settings but I was unable to fix it. Is there any good universal software for mice to work good for macOS?
If anyone has any suggestions, please let us know...
  • I have two hackintoshes with Kraken x62 on both of them. I would like to be able to play with the lighting and colors of my AIO, but I don’t have any experience about how to do it. Is there a detailed guide step by step about how to do it?
The procedure for this is in the main guide, here. Name of spoiler: Monitor and Control NZXT Kraken All-in-One Coolers.
  • Not very often purple fonts show up on random software. I imagine that is caused by GPU. Also many people have this issue with RX 580s.
I've not experienced this with my MSI RX 580. Can you provide more details such as which software? Screenshots?
  • Last, also, any guide about which cards and controllers do I have to buy to have native support for WiFi and Bluetooth? I have read the guide, and I found that a few people have removed CNVi card and put another one (don’t remember the model) in its place to have WiFi/Bluetooth instead of buying a PCIex controller. A detailed guide would be great if it doesn’t exist already.
We should not remove the Intel CNVi module. Only some owners of AORUS Xtreme have removed the card, but on Z390 Designare the Intel card works very well under Windows.

The only natively-supported WiFi/BT card that I recommend is the Fenvi FV-T919.

Back