Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I removed the CNVi Card, because it was colliding with my Broadcom card and would freeze the Windows Startup. Another perk is that I'm able to run the system with just one card, but what's really bugging me is why would just the old card work and none of the newer ac cards. Before putting up this rig I was really close to selling it off (which would've left me with great headache, eventually, as I can see now)
This is precisely the reason why I recommend the Fenvi FV-T919 exclusively. The OsxWiFi card is another option, but significantly more expensive. We truly play the lottery when we purchase Broadcom modules from unknown third parties.

Yes you can. Both RX 580s should be automatically recognized. However, do not use SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2.aml from Post-Install Files.zip. It's not needed with macOS 10.14.5 and later.

Sorry to hijack this reply, but I have 10.14.6 and an RX 580 and transferred this file post install. It’s recognized under system info but do I need to change anything? Will it cause any problems?

First of all, I would like to thank all the people - especially CaseySJ who helped me with this thread to configure my first nicely working Hackintosh! But concerning interference between OSX and WIN 10, I had just now bad experience with just this configuration. I had my WIN 10 M.2 SSD in slot M2M and after a WIN 10 update on 04. 08. both my OSX and WIN 10 SSD are no longer working properly. The WIN 10 System can boot only via clover and the OSX SSD did not boot. And I found in the Library/Extensions folder of the OSX System a lot of additional kexts. I am not an expert but in all the WIN tools I used the first booting device disk1 is the SATA slot 0 and the M2M slot comes in connection with SATA slot 4. This is also the ranking order of the BIOS. From this experience I would prefer to put the WIN 10 drive to the M2P slot.
In order to better understand this behavior, can you please list the following:
  • M2M slot --> Windows boot disk
  • M2P slot --> Mojave boot disk
  • SATA 0 --> (cannot be used if Mojave boot disk is PCIe NVMe)
  • SATA 1 --> ?
  • SATA 2 --> ?
  • SATA 3 --> ?
  • SATA 4 --> (cannot be used if Windows boot disk is PCIe NVMe)
  • SATA 5 --> (cannot be used if Windows boot disk is PCIe NVMe)

I completed the full guide. Now I have a powerful hackintosh working mostly as expected. Here's some minor issues i've been experiencing:

1. Sometimes the computer does not wake from sleep. When I hit the keyboard or mouse, nothing happens, though I see one of the keyboard leds blink whenever a key is pressed. If I hit the power key on the case, the coolers spin and leds on the motherboard light up, but I still have no video out.

Fewer times I have video back, but my keyboard and mouse still don't work. In my desk key are connected through different USB 3 hubs:

hub1 --> hub on my dell U2717 --> hackintosh

I have to cascade the hubs because cables don't reach. I suspect these keyboard issues are related to this setup, so I will further test without those as soon as I have longer cables.
Are you using darkwake=0? Because I'm not using darkwake at all, I need to press a key two times to fully wake up the system, but it works every time. With darkwake=0, one-key wake is achieved, but I personally found some issues with repeated sleep/wake cycles, so I removed this.

2. My NZXT case has front headphone and mic ports, but they don't work. Anyone has info on how to make these work?
If the rear audio ports work, then we know that AppleALC is functioning correctly. It then becomes a matter of trying different Layout IDs to determine which layout enables front headphone and microphone ports. We use Layout ID 16 (hex 0x10) by default, but other IDs are possible, including 7 and 1. Each Layout ID has its pros and cons, so use the ID that best accommodates your preferences.

My Phanteks Evolv X is a wonderful case, but the front panel audio connector is of rather poor quality. Sound from that connector is gargantually worse than that from the green headphone jack on the rear panel. So I have completely stopped using the front panel ports. In fact, a simple USB audio jack might produce noticeably better sound quality.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

@CaseySJ I was just wondering... do you think if I add another Titan Ridge Card it will work even without Designare having a TB3 header? Because if it works we could actually add another LG Ultrafine 5k for a total of 2 :D
Actually we don't need anything extra for that!
  • Set Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007 (non-headless)
  • Connect DisplayPort from AMD video card to DP-In port on the rear IO panel
  • Now both of the Thunderbolt ports are ready for connecting to Thunderbolt monitors
  • The iGPU will drive one TB monitor
  • The dGPU will drive the other TB monitor
But if you are crazy like @JayShay :) and want to add a 3rd Thunderbolt display, then you'll need the GC-Alpine Ridge card instead of the GC-Titan Ridge. Refer to this post:

It’s a Samsung qled tv, and this is the first time , Straight hdmi to hdmi. And sound works through headphone jack on the motherboard and the case as well edit and sound did work with the Mac mini that I have
Because it's a TV, the situation is a little different:
  • Most "decent" flat screen TVs today provide a low-latency HDMI port for connecting to gaming consoles or even gaming PCs. This is the preferred port for connecting to computers.
  • Please check your TV owner's manual to see which port is designated for gaming, and whether you must explicitly turn on the gaming mode from the TV's built-in menu.

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack this reply, but I have 10.14.6 and an RX 580 and transferred this file post install. It’s recognized under system info but do I need to change anything? Will it cause any problems?
Because the SSDT is defining several ACPI methods (particularly for brightness control) and not just inserting device identifiers, I think it's better to test your system with and without the SSDT so see if there's any difference. Without the SSDT, the PCI section of System Information will not be as complete.

Installed the latest acidanthera releases. Whatevergreen 1.3.1, AppleALC 1.4.0, and Lilu 1.3.8. The Latest whatevergreen fixes the purple lines previously seen during boot up.
Yesterday I replaced Whatevergreen and Lilu (in Extension folder and kext/others) and now after apple logo (with purple lines) I get a black screen.
System is loaded but monitor is not working. Is there any way to boot the system again? Thank you!

Last edited:
Because it's a TV, the situation is a little different:
  • Most "decent" flat screen TVs today provide a low-latency HDMI port for connecting to gaming consoles or even gaming PCs. This is the preferred port for connecting to computers.
  • Please check your TV owner's manual to see which port is designated for gaming, and whether you must explicitly turn on the gaming mode from the TV's built-in menu.
That's the thing it works on the Mac Mini, Xbox, same port and everything. If anything I have a WiFi/Bluetooth card on the way, so maybe that will work. Defeats the purpose on even using HDMI though.

Yesterday I replaced Whatevergreen and Lilu (in Extension folder and kext/others) and now I get a black screen after apple logo with purple lines =/
system is loaded but monitor is not working. Is there any way to boot the system again? Thank you!
After copying the new files into /Library/Extensions it is necessary to rebuild kernel cache by running Kext Utility. Several ways to recover:
  • If you forgot to rebuild kernel cache, do the following:
    • At Clover Boot Menu, select the Recovery volume.
    • When it boots up, launch Terminal from the Utilities menu.
    • Type the following:
      Code:
      cd /
      kextcache -i /Volumes/Mojave
    • Replace "Mojave" above with the actual name of your Mojave SSD if it's something else.
    • Then type "reboot"
    • Now see if you can boot into Mojave.
  • You can also boot from the USB install disk or from your Bootable Backup that you created with Carbon Copy Cloner.
    • If you didn't create a Bootable Back disk, now you know why you should!
    • When the system boots, login and run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel cache.

Back