Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Just to give a quick update. the new LG 27 UltraFine 5K mid 2019 was delivered today. Initially tests for some reason it works with Catalina but it does not work with Mojave. Doing some more tests. Trial and error. It loads the BIOS screen and clover but it goes to a black screen at the login screen when using Mojave. I will keep you guys posted.

Awesome news! If you can get this running in 5K then all we got to do is buy the $5,000 Pro Display XDR this fall and see if we can get to 6K (Probably could and I might) :lol:

Is it running at 5K in Catalina via SwitchResX report?

So, question about running the IGPU and a PCI GPU.

I've got both of them working. However, when the machine is running, and I don't know if this is even possible, but, it seems like the rendering is being done by the onboard Intel graphics and not my Radeon VII. Even when the DP cable is coming out of the VII. Most of the benchmarking apps confirm the rendering with lower scores.

When I go into the bios and disable the IGPU I get the expected scores for this card. I had read in the guide that I could use the internal gnu for encoding and I'm trying to get that going. Such that when using FinalCut I get the most bang for my buck between both available options. Did I miss something in the guide?

Is there someone running a VII on this board who has a good FinalCut setup where both gnu are taken advantage of?

then all we got to do is buy the $5,000 Pro Display XDR this fall and see if we can get to 6K (Probably could and I might)
The tonymacx86 website at 6K resolution.

Screen Shot 16.jpg

So, question about running the IGPU and a PCI GPU.

I've got both of them working. However, when the machine is running, and I don't know if this is even possible, but, it seems like the rendering is being done by the onboard Intel graphics and not my Radeon VII. Even when the DP cable is coming out of the VII. Most of the benchmarking apps confirm the rendering with lower scores.

When I go into the bios and disable the IGPU I get the expected scores for this card. I had read in the guide that I could use the internal gnu for encoding and I'm trying to get that going. Such that when using FinalCut I get the most bang for my buck between both available options. Did I miss something in the guide?

Is there someone running a VII on this board who has a good FinalCut setup where both gnu are taken advantage of?
It might be necessary to rename the Radeon VII to "AMD Radeon VII" so it's alphabetically ahead of "Intel UHD 630". That's worth a try:

guys,

Any idea how to fix Preview? Can't open any photos .:( Tried to follow the Framebuffer guide but its not as clear as Casey's. I'm kind of stuck...
Either enable the onboard graphics or you can use lilu with NovaJpeg

Congrats!!!
This is almost exactly where I'm at today. I have iGPU disabled, dropped Whatevergreen, moved to AptioMemoryFix-64, moved to VirtualSMC. My system is running faster and without any hesitation, glitches, or anomalies (that I can tell) so far...

Hi everyone,

Took a break for one week without computer or phone. Great holidays but it's good to be back behind a screen ... :)

@nifranza, I'm glad you feel now comfortable with your installation ! thanks for sharing your adventure !

Your EFI was also really close to mine, thanks @svandive ! (not using ACPISensors.kext already (replaced Fake smc, updated Clover and kexts, iMacPro1.1 smbios etc) so I just ran the Valley benchmark again. (in Catalina)
Valleytest.jpg

No more drops except once wich explain the 11.9 result, dunno why. But the average during test was around 30 fps like you.
Istat menu is working properly as stated before. (but it's more about using Virtual smc now I suppose )
Also, you have much more stuff in your Other/Kexts folder. Have you removed some in L / E to do kind of a Vanilla install ?

@CaseySJ

Won't be a great help :) but I'm pretty sure I had built-in sound working in Catalina with a precedent configuration of my EFI folder/kexts etc. The details in System Preferences / Sound were messy but I successfully plugged headphones and speakers to the card outputs.. Was not sharp enough to save the config at the time , and after some experimentation /changes I can't remember how it was. Now it's not working anymore, whoops . But it was working at a time...

Thanks Folks !

Hello @CaseySJ

Second time that I use this motherboard for friends, they both tell me that they have problem with sound, not by jack but by firewire or thunderbolt. One of them have before a Mac Pro and no problem by firewire and here he have like a chassis ground problem by firewire or thunderbolt, my other friend have also this by usb from what I heard, some people have an idea ? Not the first time I mount a complete PC / Hackintosh and I am sure of my installation, everything else if working perfectly.

Thank you.

Hello @CaseySJ

Second time that I use this motherboard for friends, they both tell me that they have problem with sound, not by jack but by firewire or thunderbolt. One of them have before a Mac Pro and no problem by firewire and here he have like a chassis ground problem by firewire or thunderbolt, my other friend have also this by usb from what I heard, some people have an idea ? Not the first time I mount a complete PC / Hackintosh and I am sure of my installation, everything else if working perfectly.

Thank you.
Hello @goldorac, I have an OWC 14-port Thunderbolt dock with on-board headphone jack. There is no problem with the sound — no ground loop hum or chassis ground issue. The OWC dock is self-powered so that could make a difference.

What specific Firewire and Thunderbolt device(s) are your friends using?

@CaseySJ

Won't be a great help :) but I'm pretty sure I had built-in sound working in Catalina with a precedent configuration of my EFI folder/kexts etc. The details in System Preferences / Sound were messy but I successfully plugged headphones and speakers to the card outputs.. Was not sharp enough to save the config at the time , and after some experimentation /changes I can't remember how it was. Now it's not working anymore, whoops . But it was working at a time...
Apple released a new public beta of Catalina yesterday so I’ll update and try again. Good to know that on-board sound should work.

Back