Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi are there any other Z390 Gigabyte boards that work with this guide seamlessly if I don't need the thunderbolt? Thanks

@digumo, thank you for sharing! I know the 5700 XT won't work for some time, maybe not until late Catalina. I'm hoping to use the iGPU, or an old 900 series GTX card to keep MacOS running. I actually found a USB 2.0 thumb drive and got macOS to start installing... I'm getting some hang ups, but I'm not sure if its the 5700 XT stalling it. I'll trouble shoot using a different card and report the results!

Thanks again

Trying to make Easy Bootable disk, but the script runs forever,... Still not finished, 1TB drive cloned mush faster,...

@digumo thank you for sharing! I know the 5700 XT won't work for some time, maybe not until late Catalina. Im hoping to use the iGPU, or an old 900 series GTX card to keep MacOS running. I actually found a USB 2.0 thumbdrive and got macOS to start installing... Im getting some hang ups but im not sure if its the 5700 XT stalling it. Ill trouble shoot using a different card and report the results!

Thanks again
A couple of quick suggestions:
  • The RX 5700 XT should be physically removed during installation.
  • The USB install disk should be inserted into a blue USB 3 port instead of a black USB 2 port.
  • Because you would be relying on the iGPU until the 5700 XT gets driver support, I would recommend doing the installation with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable such as this one.
    • It is possible to use the on-board HDMI port, but we would have to add the frame buffer connector patch. In this case I can modify the config.plist for you (from EFI Partition of USB install disk).

Trying to make Easy Bootable disk, but the script runs forever,... Still not finished, 1TB drive cloned mush faster,...
My new favorite phrase: The tiniest of details can have the mightiest of consequences. :)

Some suggestions:
  • If any EFI partitions are mounted, right-click on them and select Eject. To be safe, there shouldn't be any EFI mounts present while the backup job is running. EFI partitions will be mounted and ejected automatically.
  • Check that you're using the EFIClone-v2 script provided in the guide itself. This is the only script that will work.
  • Check that the destination disk (the clone or backup disk) was formatted with scheme: GUID Partition Table. Nothing else will work.
  • The EFIClone-v2 script creates a log file in the root folder cd /. You may examine that file in Text Edit. I believe the file name is EFIClone.log or EFIClone-v2.log.

Per site rules, I've removed a handful of previous posts (including mine) regarding the YouTube video and its author.

Last edited:
Don't know if this helps anyone but since this was a brand new build and I'm playing around I updated the following. Clover r5033, Lilu 1.3.7, AppleALC 1.3.9 and WEG 1.30.

Booted fine so far. @CaseySJ can you suggest the fast track for becoming as familiar with all the possible options within Clover Configurator? Or is it the slow slog working through forum posts?

Just to give a quick update. the new LG 27 UltraFine 5K mid 2019 was delivered today. Initially tests for some reason it works with Catalina but it does not work with Mojave. Doing some more tests. Trial and error. It loads the BIOS screen and clover but it goes to a black screen at the login screen when using Mojave. I will keep you guys posted.

Just to give a quick update. the new LG 27 UltraFine 5K mid 2019 was delivered today. Initially tests for some reason it works with Catalina but it does not work with Mojave. Doing some more tests. Trial and error. It loads the BIOS screen and clover but it goes to a black screen at the login screen when using Mojave. I will keep you guys posted.
Apple website states minimum requirement is Mojave 10.14.6.

How is the build quality? Does it feel sturdy and robust while swiveling or raising?

According to AnandTech, there’s finally a Titan Ridge TB3 controller inside, which means native DisplayPort 1.4.

Don't know if this helps anyone but since this was a brand new build and I'm playing around I updated the following. Clover r5033, Lilu 1.3.7, AppleALC 1.3.9 and WEG 1.30.

Booted fine so far. @CaseySJ can you suggest the fast track for becoming as familiar with all the possible options within Clover Configurator? Or is it the slow slog working through forum posts?
The latest recent builds of Clover Configurator have very helpful tooltips that explain, at least to a basic degree, the function of most checkboxes and other controls. There’s also a Clover Wiki website, but it doesn’t seem to be updated on a regular basis. It is still a good resource.

Back