Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Just got off a plane and there’s quite a bit of interesting discussion!

I tested AptioMemoryFix last night, but my system failed to boot with SMBIOS Macmini8,1. I would certainly like to retire OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000, but I’ll resume this activity a week from now. Meanwhile, we see that it works with iMacPro1,1 with IGPU disabled. Interested to see any experiences with other SMBIOS names and with IGPU enabled.

@CaseySJ,

In the earlier post, to get AptioMemoryFix to boot, it was recommended to remove all Clover RC scripts, etc; but was not the poster using a different mobo?

I think I've already indirectly tested the removal of Clover RC, NVRAM scripts in another project I recently worked on.

I've duplicated your system in OpenCore for the GB Z390 Designare. To boot in OC, one must remove all references to Clover (including all RC, NVRAM, etc). In that system, I could not boot without OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000, and I tried many variations, all without success.

Based on this OC finding, the need for OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 may not be so much a Clover issue as it is something unique with the GB Z390 Designare mobo. (I've now worked with a half-dozen mobo for Hackintosh and this GB Z390 Designare mobo is the only one that I've used that won't boot with anything except OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.)

(BTW, OC boots really fast and everything seems to be working well as an iMac19,1.)

I was able to switch the system definition without having any prompts to reactivate iCloud, Paragon NTFS etc. Copied over the old serial no, SmUUID, Board Serial No and MLB

Ah, maybe I won't have to relicense if I copy over those values. I didn't know that you could use the same values for a different system definition.

Just got off another plane :) and I see that the memory fix driver plot thickens. I’ve been catching up on apianti’s dire warnings and workarounds. The debate now is:
  • Clover or OpenCore?
  • OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 or AptioMemoryFix?
  • IGPU on or off?
  • iMacPro1,1 or any sys-def?
  • VirtualSMC or FakeSMC? (VirtualSMC seems to be the easy choice here)
  • EmuVariable installed or removed?
  • Clover rc scripts removed?
  • Does new configuration work when multiple PCIe cards are installed? Each PCIe Card requires allocation of memory during boot so slide values can vary if you have one card, two cards, no cards. Probably no one-size (or one-slide) fits all.
Fortunately I am far away from home so I can just sit back, relax, and enjoy the trip. ;)

Just got off another plane :) and I see that the memory fix driver plot thickens. I’ve been catching up on apianti’s dire warnings and workarounds. The debate now is:
  • Clover or OpenCore?
  • OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 or AptioMemoryFix?
  • IGPU on or off?
  • iMacPro1,1 or any sys-def?
  • VirtualSMC or FakeSMC? (VirtualSMC seems to be the easy choice here)
  • EmuVariable installed or removed?
  • Clover rc scripts removed?
  • Does new configuration work when multiple PCIe cards are installed? Each PCIe Card requires allocation of memory during boot so slide values can vary if you have one card, two cards, no cards. Probably no one-size (or one-slide) fits all.
Fortunately I am far away from home so I can just sit back, relax, and enjoy the trip. ;)

CaseySJ,

If you want me to upload any OpenCore material for this mobo, let me know; I wouldn't do without your consent. It can be as little as a config.plist or as complete as an EFI folder (no SNs for either).

I can confirm I'm able to boot with AptioMemoryFix-64.efi instead of OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi if I switch to iMacPro1,1. I've retained slide=0 in boot args and also retained EmuVariableUefi-64.efi.

I can confirm I'm able to boot with AptioMemoryFix-64.efi instead of OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi if I switch to iMacPro1,1. I've retained slide=0 in boot args and also retained EmuVariableUefi-64.efi.

Do you leave the iGPU active (as iMacPro's have no iGPU)?

I may be mistaken, but I thought I'd read that having an active iGPU with an iMacPro SMBIOS adversely affected performance and that the iMacPro SMBIOS worked better with the iGPU being disabled in BIOS (but then this results in other performance problems like in video rendering).

When I power up my Hackintosh, the fans together with the entire mainboard setup start to spin up at full speed for a second then turn off and back on again. Afterwards the computer boots fine. What could be the reason for this issue?

When I power up my Hackintosh, the fans together with the entire mainboard setup start to spin up at full speed for a second then turn off and back on again. Afterwards the computer boots fine. What could be the reason for this issue?
This has happened to me, but only when I reset the BIOS. Watch the status LED's on the motherboard, when you boot (see the manual page 7 layout, bottom right corner and page 35 CPU/DRAM/VGA/BOOT) they check the CPU, memory and graphics are working properly after power-on. When the BIOS is reset I think the board is testing the memory before first boot as I always saw CPU and DRAM light up after a bios reset with fans spinning for a second, then the machine would reset itself and boot the whole way. If this is happening repeatedly then perhaps the BIOS is being reset somehow? Check the CMOS jumpers or battery perhaps?

This has happened to me, but only when I reset the BIOS. Watch the status LED's on the motherboard, when you boot (see the manual page 7 layout, bottom right corner and page 35 CPU/DRAM/VGA/BOOT) they check the CPU, memory and graphics are working properly after power-on. When the BIOS is reset I think the board is testing the memory before first boot as I always saw CPU and DRAM light up after a bios reset with fans spinning for a second, then the machine would reset itself and boot the whole way. If this is happening repeatedly then perhaps the BIOS is being reset somehow? Check the CMOS jumpers or battery perhaps?

Checked it again, goes as following after pushing the power on button:
CPU LED on -> DRAM LED on -> CPU LED on -> Fans go off (Designare label on the motehrboard stays illuminated) -> all four LEDs go on after each other (CPU, DRAM, VGA, BOOT, guess its the checking you mentioned) -> all LEDs off -> computer is booting

So what is the reason for this mini "shutdown" in between?

Back