Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thanks. But would it help? My software is up to date. The Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT (v4) is installed along with SSDT-DTPG.aml. -It didn't do the trick so I'm back to using another one that KGP wrote.
After a year of dealing this, I think that hot re-powerup is a dead end for UAD Apollo 8 users that are using a TB3 add-in card. I've used many different patches on many different (system def) builds. Just now I realized that if hot-swap/power-swap for UAD Apollo 8 (Thunderbolt 2 rackmount equipment which is externally powered) really did work, then I could simply boot my system and snap on the power. When I do this in Windows on a real Mac Mini, a little window pops up and displays "Connecting to 'Apollo 8' ".

The unit works great in the hack, but you have to power it up before computer boot. It's not a deal-breaker, it's just an annoyance. Maybe it has to do with the Thunderbolt (local?) Node (from post #1) being interrupted by the power flip, breaking the driver connection until the computer is power-cycled. I made a video, but Ican't upload it here. Anywa, it was worth a try. Thanks.

I'm using a UAD Apollo x6. There is a TB3 dock between it and the mobo. With the dock connected at boot, I can turn the Apollo x6 on/off/on and it will re-connect without issue, showing the "Connecting to Apollo x6". This can be repeated as often as you want and it still re-connects. But I had to adjust some files a bit...

I was noticing (after some work on a Z390 ASRock ITX mobo) that the SSP1 and SSP2 ports were not being listed in Hackintools, and when they were, the drive speeds was not correct. After some adjustment of USBPorts KEXT file and the SSDT TB3 file, the SSP1 and SSP2 ports now have proper 10 Gbps speeds being reported. These two files both need to be used together. The USBPorts KEXT file injects usual USB ports and SSP1 and SSP2. It does not inject HS08 or HS13, even though these ports were reported to be associated with the SSPx ports; they don't seem to be necessary. (The USBPorts KEXT file is set for an iMac19,1; I don't know if SMBIOS setting within this file is important as I've never tested other settings.) Within the SSDT-TB3 file, the USB-C ports were changed from XHC3 to XHC2 as most real Macs I've used, use XHC2. The USBPorts KEXT file also reflects this XHC2 setting.

However, if you're using USBInjectAll.kext (instead of USBPorts/USBMaps) with a Clover/Boot argument (such as uia_exclude=HS01;HS02;HS08;HS13;HS14;SS02;SS08;SS09;SS10;USR1;USR2), you should be able to get the same speed reports in Hackintools only using the SSDT-TB3 file (and not using the USBPorts KEXT file).

In this example, the TB3 dock is connected to SSP2 (but does not show up in Hackintools) and an external USB-C drive is connected to SSP1.

SSP1-10Gbps.jpg

The red entries below are due to repeatedly power cycling the Apollo x6, finally leaving it on.

IORegExpl-SSPx.jpg

I'll upload the two files if anyone wants to try out. Place the USBPorts kext file in the kext/Other folder (removing any older USBPorts or USBMaps file). Again, if you're using USBInjectAll.kext, do not use the kext file I've uploaded. Next, place the SSDT TB3 file in the ACPI/patched folder (removing the old TB3 file). All other files in the kext/Other folder or the ACPI/patched folder stay the same.

Update 7/25/2019
USBPorts KEXT file does not seem to work with Mojave 10.14.6 (18G84). Instead, USBInjectAll with a Clover/Boot argument of uia_exclude=HS01;HS02;HS08;HS13;HS14;SS02;SS08;SS09;SS10;USR1;USR2

The same SSDT file uploaded below is used along with USBInjectAll kext, providing the same SSP1/SSP2 speeds of 10 Gbps.

The system was also tested with AptioMemoryFix.efi (along with EmuVariableUefi.efi) and works as long as the iGPU is disabled in BIOS. SMBIOS can be either iMac19,1 or iMacPro1,1 (with the latter making more sense when the iGPU is disabled).

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3HP-Designare-Z390-SSPx-10Gbps.aml
    8 KB · Views: 90
  • USBPorts-GB-Z390-Designare-SSPx-10Gbps.kext.zip
    5.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Well I'll be damned... AptioMemoryFix.efi is working on my build. I follow changelogs for Clover and all of the drivers and kexts I have installed, but never saw anything mentioned regarding this; probably just missed it so glad I follow this thread too. My parts are a little different than most in this thread, but I've always followed getting a lot of help along the way, and I'd like to share my specifics in hopes it helps someone else. All drivers and kexts mentioned below are the latest versions on GitHub. iMessages, iCloud, etc. are all working.

PCI-e Cards
  • MSI Vega 56 Air Boost
  • HighPoint RocketRaid 2840A
  • Fenvi FV-T919
Bios Changes after setting Optimized Defaults
  • XMP => Profile1
  • Internal Graphics => Disabled
  • CSM => Disabled
  • Above 4G Decoding => Enabled
  • Windows 8/10 Features => Other OS
drivers\UEFI
  • ApfsDriverLoader.efi
  • AppleUiSupport.efi
  • AptioMemoryFix.efi
  • AudioDxe.efi
  • DataHubDxe.efi
  • FSInject.efi
  • HFSPlus.efi
  • VirtualSmc.efi
kexts\Other
  • AppleALC.kext
  • IntelMausiEthernet.kext
  • Lilu.kext
  • SMCProcessor.kext
  • SMCSuperIO.kext
  • USBInjectAll.kext
  • VirtualSMC.kext
  • WhateverGreen.kext
After removing OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi and replacing with AptioMemoryFix.efi, make sure you also delete everything related to emulated NVRAM and RC scripts (if you installed). There's a downloaded package that you can run, or just delete the files yourself. There is also no need for the slide=0 boot argument in config.plist anymore.

I made the switch first on my USB EFI drive first before making any changes to my boot drive. I recommend doing the same, and always having a backup USB with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi just in case. Hope this helps someone else!
So you are not using emulated NVRAM now? Have you tried if hardware NVRAM is working or not?
Thanks.

Just got off a plane and there’s quite a bit of interesting discussion!

I tested AptioMemoryFix last night, but my system failed to boot with SMBIOS Macmini8,1. I would certainly like to retire OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000, but I’ll resume this activity a week from now. Meanwhile, we see that it works with iMacPro1,1 with IGPU disabled. Interested to see any experiences with other SMBIOS names and with IGPU enabled.

@rj510,

Thanks for that post — and the uploads! I’ll look at the two files to see whether existing “Post-Installation Files.zip” can be updated.

@NoiseCoalition,

How is your system stability now? Was it the RAM again?

@NoiseCoalition,

How is your system stability now? Was it the RAM again?

Haven’t experienced any system lockups since I replaced my ram! I get kernel panics maybe once or twice a month during boot up (I boot up my computer pretty much once a day). Haven’t figured that out yet but it happens so rarely and my system is stable once it is booted so it doesn’t really bother me too much.

Last edited:
So you are not using emulated NVRAM now? Have you tried if hardware NVRAM is working or not? Thanks.

Shoot, just checked. I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone, but hardware NVRAM still isn't working. I'm reinstalling EmuVariableUefi.efi and RC scripts, and will update my original post. Thanks for catching this.

Regarding RAM: I can confirm that the HyperX Predator kits work flawlessly on this motherboard. I'm running the 64GB-3200MHz variant myself.
If one is very worried about compatibility they can reference the RAM compatibility list Gigabyte supplies for this motherboard. It lists the predator kits as being fully compatible in any of their given capacities, so they should be a safe bet.
I have attached the official qualified vendors list to this post in case anyone is curious.
If a specific kit is not listed here this simply means it was not specifically tested by Gigabyte and confirmed to work. There is a high chance of it working anyway, but it is not guaranteed.

Attachments

• mb_memory_z390-designare_181114.pdf
    121.2 KB · Views: 209
Thanks for this!

Were you originally on system def imacpro1,1? I’m on imac19,1 and am dreading unlicensing all my audio plugins in order to switch system defs. I’m assuming imac19,1 is a no go and imacpro1,1 is required for this to work?

I was able to switch the system definition without having any prompts to reactivate iCloud, Paragon NTFS etc. Copied over the old serial no, SmUUID, Board Serial No and MLB

Last edited:
Just got off a plane and there’s quite a bit of interesting discussion!

I tested AptioMemoryFix last night, but my system failed to boot with SMBIOS Macmini8,1. I would certainly like to retire OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000, but I’ll resume this activity a week from now. Meanwhile, we see that it works with iMacPro1,1 with IGPU disabled. Interested to see any experiences with other SMBIOS names and with IGPU enabled.

@rj510,

Thanks for that post — and the uploads! I’ll look at the two files to see whether existing “Post-Installation Files.zip” can be updated.

Works with SMBIOS iMacPro1.1 and IGPU Enabled with
  1. IGPU only (No EGPU) and Framebuffer patch from hackintool (3E9B0007)
  2. IGPU and EGPU (Sapphire Nitro RX 590)

Removing Slide=0 causes a memory allocation error and so does having a RC script in cd /etc/rc.boot.d/

Last edited:
Back