Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

You have been a lifesaver! I was about to give up when I came across your excellent post on your build. Just completed the build of my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra/i9 9900k/Asus Radeon RX580 following your steps. The only change I made was to include a different SSDT-UIAC for the Ultra MOBO. Runs like a charm! Thanks very much for your great and detailed build guide. See Geekbench results attached - multi core CPU score of 38,740...

Happy to share my config.plist with anyone else with an Aorus Ultra
Awesome! The i9-9900K is still a force to be reckoned with.

Ja — that is exactly the right one.
Why only 3 antennae on this model ? Does it work the same if there aren't 4 ?

Hey, I still have problems with random freezes. Meanwhile I'm pretty sure it has to do something with my GPU (Vega64). I think that one has a hardware problem. Tested it on another system, same error...
Now I did follow this step to make it headless: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-486#post-1970038
How do I revert this, so I can run the whole system on the iGPU as I don't have another GPU on hand right now.

Another thing, how well is the Radeon VII suported? In the case it's the GPU and I have to replace that. Does it make sense to go for a Radeon VII or get another Vega64? specific brand recommendation.

Thanks for your support.
If you can provide your config.plist (redact serial numbers from SMBIOS) I can insert the non-headless code.

Radeon VII seems to be well supported, but rumors indicate it has been discontinued. Might be better to wait for RX 5700 or RX 5700XT support in a near-future update to macOS.

Why only 3 antennae on this model ? Does it work the same if there aren't 4 ?

View attachment 416776
Come to think of it, why doesn’t it include “ac” along the bottom right? Maybe an outdated photo? Model number is correct.

Edit: nvm, same image on NewEgg photo.

If you can provide your config.plist (redact serial numbers from SMBIOS) I can insert the non-headless code.

Radeon VII seems to be well supported, but rumors indicate it has been discontinued. Might be better to wait for RX 5700 or RX 5700XT support in a near-future update to macOS.

Thanks,
I already did try to change the Platform ID back to 0x3E9B0007 but that didn't do it.

Update:
I did get the HDMI Port to work with the integrated 630. I guess I'll guess I have to wait for my repaired GPU to use both Screens again. (I usually use Displayport and HDMI or do the Thunderbolt Ports work as well with the iGPU?)

Attachments

• config.plist
    9.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Hey, I still have problems with random freezes. Meanwhile I'm pretty sure it has to do something with my GPU (Vega64)....

What made you suspect the card and try it on another system? I recently got a Vega 56 because Ableton Live seemed to have some issues with my RX 580 (I'm not sure if I got a lemon, or if its something about Ableton and the card itself).

So far I haven't run into any total system freezes, and hopefully it will stay that way. Ableton has crashed a few times....but thats just Ableton :roll2:

Just wanted to say, massive thanks to CaseySJ for going through the effort of documenting everything. This proved to be essential for my first Hackintosh build.

I was wondering if anyone else has a similar issue, but my Apollo Twin MKii Thunderbolt is not being recognised by my Hackintosh. I've reinstalled the UAD software several times. Checked all the checks that are online at Universal Audio. I've checked my Thunderbolt with another Mac and the Thunderbolt 2 and Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adaptor, and both work. I've hard reset the interface. Is there a thunderbolt BIOS setting I'm missing? or maybe some kext setting that results in the thunderbolt ports being inactive?

What made you suspect the card and try it on another system? I recently got a Vega 56 because Ableton Live seemed to have some issues with my RX 580 (I'm not sure if I got a lemon, or if its something about Ableton and the card itself).

So far I haven't run into any total system freezes, and hopefully it will stay that way. Ableton has crashed a few times....but thats just Ableton :roll2:

Under OsX I got freezes and the GPU fans went up. When I had the system running under Win10 (I rarely use it) I got black screens but the Audio continued to work. So I borrowed the card to a friend for a day and he also had a system crash with it. I guess it's a lemon card. Under loud it's also ridiculous loud. The coil whining is meanwhile louder than the fans...

I mentioned UAD, iLok and Little Snitch originally because those are the more interesting peripherals and software I use (the rest of my peripherals are just USB 2 MIDI devices, and I don't use any other software that relies on kernel extensions like Little Snitch, iLok & UAD stuff does as far as I know. I could be wrong there though... time to do some research :) )

But if you are using the same things I use, that unfortunately doesn't help with the process of elimination.

I use an Apollo Twin and a Satellite, daisy chained together and using an Apple Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter. It seems to work great. But I don't have this kernel panic every time I start up, and I start up with everything connected. If I get the kernel panic again I'll try disconnecting only the UAD devices and see what happens. The issues I have are random freezes, mostly with Ableton open, but I did have one just using Firefox to watch YouTube.

A more open question for anyone: when a program crashes, are hackintoshes more likely to crash entirely compared to real macs? Ableton is notorious for crashing, but I don't think I've ever had just Ableton crash on my hackintosh, if something does go wrong the whole machine just locks up.
I unplugged the connectors to the Define R6 USB-C Front Panel, and it starts up better.

Back