Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Sometimes its the littlest things that catch us up. I've moved to iMac19,1 and the drives are working HorAY!!!! Steps I took as a precaution...

Core Apple Mac OS Coverage - logout of iTunes, FaceTime, Messages and iCloud
Mount EFI in Clover
Backup config.plist to a separate volume
Make the single change from iMac19,2 to iMac 19,1 in SMBIOS
(I left exiting headless graphics elements defined as-is)
Copy Board Serial to RT Variables
Save and Reboot

I've tested USB drives good and also tested h264, decode etc etc.... all looks good so far, a little more testing and I will then make another backup copy. I may look into the CCC updates that were documented which is outstanding! I prefer CCC over Acronis, but EFI coverage has been a little bit of a pain in CCC since some of the earlier tricks broke.
because USBInjectAll.kext doesn't work for iMac19,2 (assumed you were using that definition before?) as it needs an update

Praises for CaseySJ and a others who have contributed -

Just registered and my first post MUST be to praise CaseySJ for his patience and for sharing his knowledge in building this system. We are truly blessed to have someone who is willing to continuously help us out and more remarkably, keep improving this build.

I just finished building this system and I have it pretty loaded up with peripherals, so far all seems good and stable.

I hope to share some of my processes in this, my second build (first was with assistance from another, now closed, site).

With CaseySJ's continual tweaks and improvements, this certainly will be my new home for support and contributions.

Thank you so much CaseySJ!

Thanks. Sorry for being slow, but how do you set these values? These are generated by what? You type them in using a plain text editor/Xcode?

zipb, yes it can be confusing for noobs, but once you've done one it makes more sense.
Here's my process -

open Clover Configurator, if EFI partition is not mounted on desktop, find and click on Mount EFI in left column, in lower window scroll to EFI on (your boot system disk), click on Mount Partition,

in Clover Configurator go to File > Open > EFI > Clover, highlight config.plist, Open,

in Devices section: select/confirm Properties view,

(when copy-pasting, you have to click on the section to enable the cursor/paste capability)

under Devices click plus (+), copy-paste the following - PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) , under Properties Key click plus (+), copy-paste the following - AAPL,ig-platform-id , under Properties Value copy-paste the following - 0300983E , under Value Type confirm DATA, under Properties Key window click plus (+), copy-paste the following - framebuffer-patch-enable , under Properties Value copy-paste the following - 01000000 , under Value Type confirm DATA, under Properties Key click plus (+), copy-paste the following - AAPL,slot-name , under Properties Value copy-paste the following - Internal , under Value Type change to STRING, under Properties Key click plus (+), copy-paste the following - device_type , under Properties Value copy-paste the following - Graphics Controller , under Value Type change to STRING, under Properties Key click plus (+), copy-paste the following - model , under Properties Value copy-paste the following - Intel UHD 630 , under Value Type change to STRING, (do not enter a device-id property because OS now recognizes Coffee Lake i9900K GPU) you can click-drag to change order of Properties

Firewire card working in a PCI1 slot

I have successfully installed and confirmed a Firewire card mounted in to the PCIEX1_2 slot.
I am using a SYBA Low Profile PCI-Express 1394B/A Firewire Card Model SD-PEX30009
macOS 10.14.5, BIOS F6, all my other slots are filled so I needed to be able to use slot 1_2

From an early post (April 1 victor.vhv) I assumed I needed FixFirewire in the ACPI section of Clover Configurator
-BUT-
with this card it was wrong (would freeze during boot). If I moved the card to a full size PCI slot boot would be fine and operation was confirmed. So, I unchecked FixFirewire in ACPI section and moved back to PCIEX1_2 and everything booted and I was able to mount a firewire hard drive.

My TV has 4 HDMI ports. I tested and none seem to make a difference. I was using HDMI 4. HDMI 2 is an ARC port as far as special ports go, but that has no effect.

I do get video for the BIOS screen, and lose it somewhere at the loading Apple progress bar. Also, if I mess with WEG properties in a way that I lose acceleration, I keep video.

I would think there should be some tweaks to the framebuffer that could fix it, but this has been something I've tried to get working on and off for awhile, several hours in and no luck.

I remember I could add a stolenmem patch that would give video and acceleration, but if I changed the resolution, it lost video, and I could only seem to get 1920x1080 in that state.
Some suggestions:
  • Try Option-Clicking in System Preferences --> Displays --> Scaled. This will show you many more resolutions and it might provide some refresh rates as well (30Hz vs 60Hz). Try the lowest refresh rates first. You may need to do this through remote login.
  • Try a USB-C to HDMI adapter such as this one. The USB-C side of the adapter can be plugged into either of the two Thunderbolt 3 ports on the back panel. Those two ports support DisplayPort output without the need for any framebuffer connector patches.
  • Connect a relatively recent computer monitor that supports DP 1.2+ and HDMI 1.4+ to check the behavior of on-board HDMI.
  • Considering using an AMD GPU such as RX 570 or RX 580. They are quite cheap and generally work very well in 10.14.5.

Praises for CaseySJ and a others who have contributed -

Just registered and my first post MUST be to praise CaseySJ for his patience and for sharing his knowledge in building this system. We are truly blessed to have someone who is willing to continuously help us out and more remarkably, keep improving this build.

I just finished building this system and I have it pretty loaded up with peripherals, so far all seems good and stable.

I hope to share some of my processes in this, my second build (first was with assistance from another, now closed, site).

With CaseySJ's continual tweaks and improvements, this certainly will be my new home for support and contributions.

Thank you so much CaseySJ!
Glad to know the build went well, and thank you for the kind words! Thanks also for answering people's questions -- everyone is welcome to chime in with answers.

Last edited:
Hi everyone.

Does anyone know if the audio card Antelope Audio Zen Tour is compatible with Thunderbolt 3 on this motherboard?
Thanks.

Hi everyone.

Does anyone know if the audio card Antelope Audio Zen Tour is compatible with Thunderbolt 3 on this motherboard?
Thanks.
Based on the Thunderbolt FAQ on the Antelope website, I would say there's a very good chance the Zen Tour will work with a TB3-to-TB2 adapter. They recommend the StarTech adapter, but the Apple adapter should work as well.
Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 11.19.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 11.20.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 11.20.07 AM.png

zipb, yes it can be confusing for noobs, but once you've done one it makes more sense.
Here's my process -

open Clover Configurator, if EFI partition is not mounted on desktop, find and click on Mount EFI in left column, in lower window scroll to EFI on (your boot system disk), click on Mount Partition,

in Clover Configurator go to File > Open > EFI > Clover, highlight config.plist, Open,

in Devices section: select/confirm Properties view,

(when copy-pasting, you have to click on the section to enable the cursor/paste capability)

under Devices click plus (+), copy-paste the following - PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) , under Properties Key click plus (+), copy-paste the following - AAPL,ig-platform-id , under Properties Value copy-paste the following - 0300983E , under Value Type confirm DATA, under Properties Key window click plus (+), copy-paste the following - framebuffer-patch-enable , under Properties Value copy-paste the following - 01000000 , under Value Type confirm DATA, under Properties Key click plus (+), copy-paste the following - AAPL,slot-name , under Properties Value copy-paste the following - Internal , under Value Type change to STRING, under Properties Key click plus (+), copy-paste the following - device_type , under Properties Value copy-paste the following - Graphics Controller , under Value Type change to STRING, under Properties Key click plus (+), copy-paste the following - model , under Properties Value copy-paste the following - Intel UHD 630 , under Value Type change to STRING, (do not enter a device-id property because OS now recognizes Coffee Lake i9900K GPU) you can click-drag to change order of Properties

Thanks for trying to help.
I would probably do this with straight editing of the config.plist with BBEdit or Xcode. That's easier. Hard to believe nobody wrote a routine/template/shortcut to do this, that's why I am asking.

Hello, CaseySJ. I wanted to ask you how I could prevent the Bluetooth card, BCM94360CS2, from being recognized in Windows 10, and only the Intel CNVi WiFi / BT running the Designare motherboard, because it causes problems with software that I am using so that I can recognize all the functions of the original mouse and keyboard from Apple.
Windows recognizes the mouse with the card BCM94360CS2 and causes me problems, to avoid it I have to disconnect the bluetooth connection from the board BCM94360CS2, so that only the card: Intel CNVi WiFi / BT is working.
In administration devices I have disabled the BCM94360CS2 card, but when starting windows the mouse is recognized again.
Is there any way to delete the driver so that it is not recognized and does not automatically autoinstall ?, or any other solution?
Thank you very much for your patience and your delivery, forgive my English ... it's a goolgle translation.
Thank you
Hello @nadena,

Some questions:
  • Are you using Clover to boot both MacOS Mojave and Windows 10?
  • In MacOS you want to use BCM94360CS2 for WiFi and BT, but in Windows you want to use only the Intel CNVi card?
If so, one solution might be the following:
  • We currently have a SSDT that disables Intel CNVi. And our USB SSDT disables HS14 (Intel CNVi Bluetooth).
  • I can create another SSDT that disables the BCM94360CS2. And I can create another USB SSDT that disables HS11 or HS12 (for Broadcom Bluetooth) and enables HS14 (for Intel Bluetooth).
  • This is a total of 4 SSDTs:
    • SSDT #1 -- Disable CNVi WiFi
    • SSDT #2 -- Disable CNVi Bluetooth
    • SSDT #3 -- Disable Broadcom WiFi
    • SSDT #4 -- Disable Broadcom Bluetooth
Then we could do this:
  • Install all 4 SSDTs into CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.
  • Create 2 different config.plist files:
    • One for MacOS whose name will be the same as before: config.plist
    • One for Windows 10 whose name might be something else, maybe: config-win10.plist
  • In the MacOS config file we will drop SSDT #3 and SSDT #4.
  • In the Win10 config file we will drop SSDT #1 and SSDT #2.
This means:
  • Every time you boot into MacOS, you just select the option Boot macOS from Mojave. Nothing else.
  • Every time you boot into Windows 10, you will first select config-win10.plist and then select Boot Windows 10
If someone has already solved this problem some other way, please let us know. I have tried using Windows Device Manager to disable the Broadcom WiFi/BT module, but this apparently does not work.

Back