Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @RuthG,

Please check whether your Samsung 970 EVO is the standard model or the Plus model. If it's the "Samsung 970 EVO Plus" then you will have to update its firmware through Windows or return/exchange it for the non-Plus model.

Also try the attached CLOVER folder instead of the one you currently have in the EFI partition of your USB Install Disk.
  • Connect the USB install disk to your Mac.
  • Mount the EFI partition.
  • Backup or rename the existing CLOVER folder.
  • Copy the attached CLOVER-RuthG folder to the EFI partition and rename it to CLOVER.
  • Eject the USB disk.
Try booting the Hackintosh with the modified USB disk (press F12 at BIOS to select the USB disk). Does it work this time?
Hello CaseySJ,

I cannot thank you enough, you literally saved my day, now it is shining everywhere.

Your modified Clover folder helped me, although I had to flash the bios from F5 to F6 and then it worked flawlessly. My motherboard acted very funny from the very beginning of install and I assume that somehow it didn't cooperate with the RAM. But after BIOS update the installation went without a problem.

Just one thing I have noticed, is that I have only 1 ethernet card I219V7, so I have must done something wrong during post installation. I must recheck the instructions.

I want to use my Hackintosh with UAD Apollo Twin, but I haven't tested it yet, because I am waiting for TB3 to TB2 cable adapter to hook it up. I've seen some comment that it should not be a problem, but I will see.

I also would like to ask you, what if I will add a GPU - RX580 in future, will I have to reinstall the system from the ground, or there will be only some tweaking in config.plist?

Once again many thanks for your effort, instructions and tips, I really appreciate your help.

Sorry I missed that. I can't find a way to search for my threads.
Thanks. I removed the SSDT and the system restarts fine now but it won't sleep.
I have EmuVariableUefi-64.efi (not EmuVariableUefi.efi) in my drivers64UEFI folder.
I thought CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder was for .aml files and not .efi files?
I'm tempted to say that was a test to see if you knew the difference, but fact is, I didn't proof-read my reply!
  • Good to know that restart is working. Either of the EmuVariable EFI files is fine. MultiBeast installs EmuVariableUefi-64.efi.
  • Regarding sleep, the first thing to do is to perform the steps in the spoiler located here labeled "Fixing Auto Sleep".
    • If that does not solve the problem, disconnect all USB devices including those connected inside the computer case. Keep only the mouse and keyboard connected. Then see if the computer sleeps and remains asleep.
    • If so, reconnect one USB device at a time and test sleep until you find the offending USB device that prevents sleep.
    • If this also does not solve the problem, let us know.

Sorry for the late reply I've been pretty busy, TB2 to TB3.

@CaseySJ in the "Going The Extra Mile" table, there is no option for the iMacPro Headless setup on 10.14.5,
I am still on 10.14.3 and the iGpu works headlessly.

Maybe you can help me figure out because I wanted to update.
It is still there, but the column heading has been changed to Pro Apps (Option 1): No iGPU. Because iMacPro uses a Xeon processor -- which does not contain an iGPU -- there is actually no such thing as a headless iMacPro configuration! Headless means that iGPU is present and enabled, but its video output is disabled so it won't drive a display monitor, but its compute units will still be used.

But for iMacPro we disable the iGPU in BIOS so in effect there is no iGPU and hence no headless mode. For this reason the column heading was changed to No iGPU instead of Headless.

Hello CaseySJ,

I cannot thank you enough, you literally saved my day, now it is shining everywhere.

Your modified Clover folder helped me, although I had to flash the bios from F5 to F6 and then it worked flawlessly. My motherboard acted very funny from the very beginning of install and I assume that somehow it didn't cooperate with the RAM. But after BIOS update the installation went without a problem.

Just one thing I have noticed, is that I have only 1 ethernet card I219V7, so I have must done something wrong during post installation. I must recheck the instructions.

I want to use my Hackintosh with UAD Apollo Twin, but I haven't tested it yet, because I am waiting for TB3 to TB2 cable adapter to hook it up. I've seen some comment that it should not be a problem, but I will see.

I also would like to ask you, what if I will add a GPU - RX580 in future, will I have to reinstall the system from the ground, or there will be only some tweaking in config.plist?

Once again many thanks for your effort, instructions and tips, I really appreciate your help.
Glad to hear it finally went through! Let me address your questions:
  • The i219 Ethernet device is supported by IntelMausiEthernet.kext. But the i211 Ethernet device is managed by a trio of kexts that we copy into /Library/Extensions and then we run Kext Utility to rebuild the kernel cache:
    • FakePCIID.kext
    • FakePCIID_Intel_GbX.kext
    • SmallTreeIntel82576.kext
  • Adding the RX580 in the future should be mostly plug-and-play with a couple of changes:
    • Install the card, of course, and connect the PCI power cable(s).
    • In BIOS, change Initial Display Output to PCIe 1 Slot if card is in Slot 1. Keep IGFX enabled.
    • Connect your monitor to the RX 580.
    • In Clover Configurator, open your config.plist and go to Devices --> Properties. Then change:
      • AAPL,ig-platform-id to 0300983E for headless mode. This will allow all A/V apps like Final Cut and iMovie to work correctly. You currently have platform ID 0x3E9B0007 (non-headless) which will cause Final Cut and iMovie (among others) to crash.
      • So the advantage of Platform ID 0x3E9B0007 is that iGPU can drive a monitor, but the downside is that many A/V apps will crash.
      • We really really recommend using a discrete GPU such as the AMD RX 580 or Vega 56/64 with headless platform ID 0x3E980003 (which we must specify in reverse-byte order when using Clover Configurator).
    • Anyway, if you need help when the RX 580 arrives, just ask.

I can not solve a certain problem. My hackintosh freezes randomly while working with Chrome or logic. I do not know the solution. Earlier, it was frozen when returning from the screen saver. In that case, I prevent the confusion by pressing the reset button to force a reboot. Are there any people with the same symptoms? This problem bothers me.

I can not solve a certain problem. My hackintosh freezes randomly while working with Chrome or logic. I do not know the solution. Earlier, it was frozen when returning from the screen saver. In that case, I prevent the confusion by pressing the reset button to force a reboot. Are there any people with the same symptoms? This problem bothers me.
Random crashes are the most difficult to troubleshoot so I always recommend the following first:
  • Connect a 128GB or 256GB SSD to an external USB 3.0 enclosure.
  • Install Mojave on this disk from scratch (do not use cloning software to clone an existing disk).
  • Do not install any third-party applications on the new disk.
  • Use the built-in Apps (Safari instead of Chrome), iTunes (instead of Logic Pro), etc. to make sure the system is stable. Keep using the system for about a week.
  • If the fresh system is not stable, it suggests a hardware problem.
  • If the fresh system is stable, it suggests that your previous Mojave installation has been corrupted or some malicious code has been installed.
    • In this case start installing one of your apps at a time. For example, install Chrome only. Use it for a day or two to make sure the system remains stable.
    • If so, install Logic Pro afterwards. Then run it thoroughly for another day or two to make sure system remains stable.
    • Repeat until all apps have been installed.
    • If the system remains stable, then you might want to turn this new installation into your actual main installation. If you need some guidance for this, just ask.

CaseySJ, the level of detail you have in this guide is amazing. I'm contemplating building a new hack and had a couple quick questions about this build:

AAPL,ig-platform-id to 0300983E for headless mode. This will allow all A/V apps like Final Cut and iMovie to work correctly. You currently have platform ID 0x3E9B0007 (non-headless) which will cause Final Cut and iMovie (among others) to crash.

1. If this system is run solely on the iGPU (non-headless) with no dedicated Radeon GFX card, will these crashing issues with Final Cut and iMovie still be present? Are there any issues to be aware of with running only on the iGPU (except for slower graphics)?
  2. When doing the initial USB install, can the monitor be run from the thunderpolt/displayport or does it need to be run over HDMI for this part?
Thanks!

Glad to hear it finally went through! Let me address your questions:
  • The i219 Ethernet device is supported by IntelMausiEthernet.kext. But the i211 Ethernet device is managed by a trio of kexts that we copy into /Library/Extensions and then we run Kext Utilityto rebuild the kernel cache:
    • FakePCIID.kext
    • FakePCIID_Intel_GbX.kext
    • SmallTreeIntel82576.kext

I was able to cut that down to a single kext for the i211.

I had previously built an i3-8100 build that also had an i211+i219 board (Gigabyte B360N Wi-Fi).

There was a kext I found here that was SmallTree 1.0.6. but it had been patched in such a way as to not need those FakePCIID spoof kexts. It was patched by @ydeng.

I found an unpatched 1.0.6 here as well and compared the differences. I was able to apply the same patch to 1.2.5 and install it to /Library/Extensions, get rid of the FakePCIID kexts, and it still worked.

Also, in the Ethernet Cards tab, it wasn't displaying the name properly, so I added this under Devices->Properties.
Code:
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>model</key>
                <string>Intel I211 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet</string>
            </dict>

Attachments

• SmallTreeIntel82576-1.2.5-PATCHED.zip
    68.1 KB · Views: 77
I was able to cut that down to a single kext for the i211.

I had previously built an i3-8100 build that also had an i211+i219 board (Gigabyte B360N Wi-Fi).

There was a kext I found here that was SmallTree 1.0.6. but it had been patched in such a way as to not need those FakePCIID spoof kexts. It was patched by @ydeng.

I found an unpatched 1.0.6 here as well and compared the differences. I was able to apply the same patch to 1.2.5 and install it to /Library/Extensions, get rid of the FakePCIID kexts, and it still worked.

Also, in the Ethernet Cards tab, it wasn't displaying the name properly, so I added this under Devices->Properties.
Code:
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>model</key>
                <string>Intel I211 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet</string>
            </dict>
Earlier this year I thought about replacing the trio of kexts with the single modified kext, which has been available for quite some time. The single kext has the advantage of being only 1 file, but because it does not inject name and model properties, we have to inject them separately as you pointed out.

To keep the build guide as simple as possible, I decided it was better to just copy 3 files rather than add additional complexity into the config.plist. This means everyone can follow just the Installation section of the guide, which is mostly a series of file-copy operations, click-on-checkbox operations, mount partitions, etc. Adding custom name/model properties into config.plist would be better suited to Going the Extra Mile.

CaseySJ, the level of detail you have in this guide is amazing. I'm contemplating building a new hack and had a couple quick questions about this build:

1. If this system is run solely on the iGPU (non-headless) with no dedicated Radeon GFX card, will these crashing issues with Final Cut and iMovie still be present? Are there any issues to be aware of with running only on the iGPU (except for slower graphics)?
  2. When doing the initial USB install, can the monitor be run from the thunderpolt/displayport or does it need to be run over HDMI for this part?
Thanks!
Good questions --
  1. When running the system solely on iGPU, we must use non-headless platform ID 0x3E9B0007. Unfortunately this means Final Cut and iMovie will crash if using a sysdef such as MacMini8,1 or iMac19,1. I have not tested sys-defs of iMacs that only contain iGPU such as iMac18,1. So that might be worth an experiment...
  2. The monitor can certainly be run from either of the two Thunderbolt/DP ports via a cable that it specifically made to carry DisplayPort over USB-C. I use this one.

Back