Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Also, SSD is the Samsung 970 plus NVMe, just replaced with 2 250gb versions of the same thing. It gets through the install but I get a unable to create preboot volume now. Also, trying to reformat causes it to freeze.
@archalys, I think that Samsung NVMe your using is in this Note on the OP

NOTE 4: XFX Radeon RX 580 graphics cards are known to cause kernel panics during installation, and are strongly discouraged. Use a different brand. In my case, the MSI RX 580 Gaming X works flawlessly. Also avoid the Samsung EVO 970 Plus (non-Plus models are okay).
Quite right — the Samsung 970 Plus has deficient firmware and will not work. NOTE 4 at the beginning of the build guide warns against the Plus series. Maybe I should make it even more prominent!

Anyway, hope you can exchange the Plus for a standard 970 EVO or even a 970 EVO Pro.

D
Quite right — the Samsung 970 Plus has deficient firmware and will not work. NOTE 4 at the beginning of the build guide warns against the Plus series. Maybe I should make it even more prominent!

Anyway, hope you can exchange the Plus for a standard 970 EVO or even a 970 EVO Pro.
Jesus... thanks for your time guys! I just pulled another SSD out of another rig, installing now.

Help! I followed all your rules to a tee and when I rebooted my system after running the Kext Utility step it seems the audio showed up under my System Information, but nothing else? I'm unable to connect to my internet.

Does anyone have any thoughts? The only places where I did things differently was using the Vega 64 .aml file vs the Radon 580 .aml file and I used the custom USB SSDT file for my Fractal case.

I seem to be missing the following:

Audio appears to have worked

However, my Ethernet Cards are missing 1211 and 1219

Also missing my iGPU

And nothing shows up in under PCI

The USB section is missing my BRCM20702

Lastly missing the 5 network devices

Help! I followed all your rules to a tee and when I rebooted my system after running the Kext Utility step it seems the audio showed up under my System Information, but nothing else? I'm unable to connect to my internet.

Does anyone have any thoughts? The only places where I did things differently was using the Vega 64 .aml file vs the Radon 580 .aml file and I used the custom USB SSDT file for my Fractal case.

I seem to be missing the following:

Audio appears to have workedView attachment 402145

However, my Ethernet Cards are missing 1211 and 1219
View attachment 402146

Also missing my iGPU
View attachment 402147

And nothing shows up in under PCI
View attachment 402148

The USB section is missing my BRCM20702
View attachment 402149

Lastly missing the 5 network devices
View attachment 402150
It would be good to run through the spoiler marked Final Steps in Post-Installation and compare all of your settings against the screenshots. It will be necessary to mount the EFI partition on the Mojave SSD before you begin.

Note that IGPU will not appear in Graphics/Displays once “Inject Intel” is toggled off as it should be. This is mentioned above the screenshot of the Graphics/Displays panel in State of the system AFTER post-installation. There is an alternative procedure listed there for confirming IGPU.

If you still face issues, feel free to post.

Ok, so I did everything like I'm told to following your guide (using the Z390 Designare).

It works except Thunderbolt. I’ve connected my monitor (it has a USB hub and a USB-C connector) to my hackintosh via USB-C, but the USB hub doesnt work. Doesn’t also matter whether I connect my gpu directly via DP or to the DP IN. I do get a video signal via USB-C, but the USB ports of my monitor wont work. Also tried a separate USB-C hub, but it also doesn’t work.

In the bios settings the USB hub of my monitor works perfectly. I checked system info and Titan Ridge is listed under PCI devices. Also IOReg does show the thunderbolt devices. Are maybe ONLY thunderbolt devices supported and just USB-C aren’t?

Right now I don’t have an idea what exactelly is going wrong...

EDIT: If I plug a usb stick in the usb hub of my monitor (with macOS Install on it), Clover will show me the stick. As soon as macOS is booted up, the stick isn’t shown.

Last edited:
Hi friends,
Does an Apple Thunderbolt display works easily on Z390 Designare?
And with a adapter thunderbolt (female) to DisplayPort (mâle)

Thanks

Hi friends,
Does an Apple Thunderbolt display works easily on Z390 Designare?
And with a adapter thunderbolt (female) to DisplayPort (mâle)

Thanks
I have not seen any confirmed use of this monitor. It is best to avoid it.

It would be good to run through the spoiler marked Final Steps in Post-Installation and compare all of your settings against the screenshots. It will be necessary to mount the EFI partition on the Mojave SSD before you begin.

Note that IGPU will not appear in Graphics/Displays once “Inject Intel” is toggled off as it should be. This is mentioned above the screenshot of the Graphics/Displays panel in State of the system AFTER post-installation. There is an alternative procedure listed there for confirming IGPU.

If you still face issues, feel free to post.

Thanks for the response!

I reran through the final steps, the Ethernet Cards show up so that's a good sign, also skipped the R6 Fractal case spoiler this time round to see if that might have been causing the issue.

I'm still not seeing anything under PCI and the USB is missing the Broadcom Wifi+Bluetooth card (but wifi works great). I'm using the 1-4 splitter for the F_USB port vs the 1-2 splitter you're using, could this be a hardware issue? Seems unlikely if I'm able to get on the Wifi though.

The Network tab shows only 3 devices (no bluetooth unfortunately):

Also one minor thing, I bought 3200Mhz ram, but it shows up as 2133Mhz, is this just cosmetic?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 10.43.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 10.43.53 AM.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 68
Ok, so I did everything like I'm told to following your guide (using the Z390 Designare).

It works except Thunderbolt. I’ve connected my monitor (it has a USB hub and a USB-C connector) to my hackintosh via USB-C, but the USB hub doesnt work. Doesn’t also matter whether I connect my gpu directly via DP or to the DP IN. I do get a video signal via USB-C, but the USB ports of my monitor wont work. Also tried a separate USB-C hub, but it also doesn’t work.

In the bios settings the USB hub of my monitor works perfectly. I checked system info and Titan Ridge is listed under PCI devices. Also IOReg does show the thunderbolt devices. Are maybe ONLY thunderbolt devices supported and just USB-C aren’t?

Right now I don’t have an idea what exactelly is going wrong...

EDIT: If I plug a usb stick in the usb hub of my monitor (with macOS Install on it), Clover will show me the stick. As soon as macOS is booted up, the stick isn’t shown.
Are you using a Thunderbolt monitor? What is the make and model? Are you using a Thunderbolt 3 cable or a USB-C cable? Thunderbolt 3 cables and USB-C cables have the same connector shape, but the internal design is quite different. A 6-foot Thunderbolt 3 cable is usually priced around US$50-$65.

Thanks for the response!

I reran through the final steps, the Ethernet Cards show up so that's a good sign, also skipped the R6 Fractal case spoiler this time round to see if that might have been causing the issue.

I'm still not seeing anything under PCI and the USB is missing the Broadcom Wifi+Bluetooth card (but wifi works great). I'm using the 1-4 splitter for the F_USB port vs the 1-2 splitter you're using, could this be a hardware issue? Seems unlikely if I'm able to get on the Wifi though.

The Network tab shows only 3 devices (no bluetooth unfortunately):

Also one minor thing, I bought 3200Mhz ram, but it shows up as 2133Mhz, is this just cosmetic?
Regarding Bluetooth, have you connected the USB power cable from the WiFi/BT card to F_USB header on the motherboard? My mistake — you have already connected power. Would be good to run IORegistryExplorer and then File —> Save As... to export and then upload the device tree.

Regarding memory speed, have you enabled X.M.P Profile 1 in BIOS?

Regarding PCI, have you set up the Thunderbolt parameters in BIOS?

Last edited:
Back