Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

• Is FCP export capability working?
  • In IORegistry, do you see AppleIntelFramebuffer as a child node of IGPU?
  • Do you have VideoProc? If so, you can click Setting followed by Options to see this page:
    View attachment 396253
  • Here we can see that HEVC and H.264 capabilities are provided by the RX 580.
  • We renamed the AMD and Intel GPUs such that alphabetically the RX580 and Vega come before Intel UHD 630. Certain apps prioritize GPUs for certain tasks based on their alphabetical order.
I can export in Prores but not H.264.
IOReg list attached, but yes.
VideoProc image also attached.
Everything *SEEMS* right but it's not working properly.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 10.46.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 10.46.36 PM.png
    131.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 10.48.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 10.48.09 PM.png
    98.1 KB · Views: 81
I can export in Prores but not H.264.
IOReg list attached, but yes.
VideoProc image also attached.
Everything *SEEMS* right but it's not working properly.
Are you using Devices --> Properties and/or Vega SSDT to name the AMD and/or Intel GPUs, respectively? If so, have you considered changing their alphabetical order? For example:
  • If iGPU is named "Intel UHD 630" and Vega is named "AMD Vega 64" then dGPU comes first.
  • If iGPU is named "Intel UHD 630" or "UHD 630" and Vega is named "Vega 64" then iGPU comes first.
Since you have 2 Vegas, if you use an SSDT for one of them, you should use an SSDT for the second as well. The two SSDTs will be different because the PCI paths of the two cards will be different.

I just tried to do a fresh install of 10.4.4 on Gigabyte Z390 UD with Intel i7-8700 and EVGA GT 740. Card is natively supported and I had no issue running it with 10.4.3 on Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK which died last week. Followed exact instruction from the very first post, used exact settings for customising Clover and the actual installation went fine - no issues. But now when I'm trying to load OS from the hard drive to complete setup (i.e. boot from USB and then select 'Boot macOS from Mojave') with MultiBeast etc I've got black screen. I'm not using onboard graphics card at all. Have two monitors connected to GT 740 (one HDMI and one DVI). I do know that OS boots and doesn't hangs - I hear welcome sound and voice from the speakers. But no graphics. If I disconnect HDMI hen on DVI monitor I see the attached log. Any idea why and what happens?

Attachments

• IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Are you using Devices --> Properties and/or Vega SSDT to name the AMD and/or Intel GPUs, respectively? If so, have you considered changing their alphabetical order? For example:
  • If iGPU is named "Intel UHD 630" and Vega is named "AMD Vega 64" then dGPU comes first.
  • If iGPU is named "Intel UHD 630" or "UHD 630" and Vega is named "Vega 64" then iGPU comes first.
Since you have 2 Vegas, if you use an SSDT for one of them, you should use an SSDT for the second as well. The two SSDTs will be different because the PCI paths of the two cards will be different.
The only thing special I am running for the Vega is the VegaTab64.kext.
EDIT: My cards actually have two different names (see screenshot from System Profiler). Possibly this is the cause. I am not sure how to create an SSDT to rename the cards.
Other than that, this is all I have going on in the Devices panel:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 1.47.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 1.47.59 AM.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 174
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 1.47.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 1.47.51 AM.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 158
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 1.47.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 1.47.29 AM.png
    211.3 KB · Views: 164
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 1.48.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 1.48.06 AM.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 177
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 2.18.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 2.18.09 AM.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
I just tried to do a fresh install of 10.4.4 on Gigabyte Z390 UD with Intel i7-8700 and EVGA GT 740. Card is natively supported and I had no issue running it with 10.4.3 on Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK which died last week. Followed exact instruction from the very first post, used exact settings for customising Clover and the actual installation went fine - no issues. But now when I'm trying to load OS from the hard drive to complete setup (i.e. boot from USB and then select 'Boot macOS from Mojave') with MultiBeast etc I've got black screen. I'm not using onboard graphics card at all. Have two monitors connected to GT 740 (one HDMI and one DVI). I do know that OS boots and doesn't hangs - I hear welcome sound and voice from the speakers. But no graphics. If I disconnect HDMI hen on DVI monitor I see the attached log. Any idea why and what happens?

UPDATE: Problem solved. Had to completely disable onboard graphics card. Still need to finish the installation and see if iBooks etc would work. On my previous MB had to enable onboard card to make iBooks work.

Several people are currently reporting problems after first reboot. The Build Guide suggests either "MacOS Extended (Journaled)" or "APFS" but I may have to change this. Can you please answer the following:
  1. Did you install 10.14.3 directly? Or 10.14.2?
  2. I assume you originally formatted your Mojave SSD as MacOS Extended (Journaled). When the system restarted automatically after Phase 1, it encountered a fatal error during boot? Do you remember the error?
  3. But after formatting the Mojave SSD as APFS, installation succeeded?

@CaseySJ

I experienced install problem wherby installation would freeze during the last two minutes. Using APFS formatting and also a known good ssd, during install attempts I opened the install log and it appeared that install had successfully completed. After rebooting the PC, the install would intermittently freeze during other parts of the install.

When reattempting each Mojave install, disk utility would show spinning beachball when attempting to reformat disk. I could only delete the Mac installation partition using Disk Manager in Windows, then reattempt Mojave install. Successive
install attempts would also freeze at some point during installation.

I followed another guide and it seems the root of the problem is having Above 4G decoding enabled in the bios. When disabling Above 4G decoding the installation susssfully completed. Once installation is completed, Above 4G decoding can be safely enabled. So it appears that having this bios option enabled during install it is having some adverse effect on memory mapping during installation.

Last edited:
Hello Victor,

Thank you for posting detailed logs and CLOVER folder. Your configuration looks correct; you also have the NO-CNVW SSDT installed. I've added WhateverGreen configuration to your config.plist and removed "IntelGFX" and "Platform-ID". These and other parameters are better handled by WhateverGreen.

What is the make and model of your Firewire card? Is it a x1 card?

@rj510 has posted some experiences here with his Vantec Firewire card, which is a x1 card, but seems to work best in a long slot (x16). However, with the use of NO-CNVW, perhaps the Vantec will function properly in x1.

@rj510: Do you experience any shutdown problems with the Vantec card installed?
Many thanks! (Again :) ).

I will install your provided changes.

The Firewire card is StarTech PEX1394B3 (yes, it's a PCIE x1 card). I also tried changing it to other PCIE lanes with no luck, I have it in the PCIEX8 lane now.

I've found in the forums that people are having the same issue with this card (a pitty, as I got precisely this one to get the most vanilla experience with the fw800 devices, as recommended in another thread), but seems that most people either gave up trying to fix it, or swapped it for another one.
In the thread in question if you go to the last page, you can see that people changed it to another brand (Syba) and the issue went away.

Attachments

• Captura de Pantalla 2019-03-31 a les 11.42.13.png
    Captura de Pantalla 2019-03-31 a les 11.42.13.png
    296.6 KB · Views: 148
First all
Congratulations for the great job. :thumbup:

I decided to build my second hackintosh (dualboot Mojave & W10).
I 've bought all the components except the motherboard (it's a long story):
Corsair 570x / 9700K / Asus Vega 56 / Corsair Veng. RGB 16GB / Samsung 860 / Crucial M4 / H150i Pro / EVGA G3 650W

I would really appreciate it if you could answer a question I have.
I doubt between Z390 designare or aorus master.
If I buy the aorus master could follow your guide or there is some incompatibility ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
This is an easy problem to solve. Last line in image 4 reads "Still waiting for root device". It means your USB flash disk is in a USB port that is not yet activated by macOS. Move the USB disk to a black USB 2.0 port. There are 2 of them on the rear IO shield located next to the purple and green PS/2 connector.
so yesterday it seems everything runs perfect, except the WIFI Card. And now i want to boot again i get this message (IMG 1 and 2)

i read something about a missing FakeSMC.kext. The last step i tried after post installation was "to go the extra mile". I deleted alle FakeSMC.kext in Clover and Library/Ext as mentioned down below, than copied the KGP-X99 files in the Clover directory and started the Kext Utility. Is there a possiblity to redo this step in the BIOS boot section. Can i boot the EFI from Clover in the BIOS?

Thx for the help.

Different FakeSMC
FakeSMC and its companion kexts for ACPI Sensors, CPU Sensors, GPU Sensors, etc. are built together and work together as a unit. The individual kexts are typically not interchangeable between different builds. The FakeSMC set of kexts provided through MultiBeast 11.0.x works with this motherboard, but it does not provide as much detailed information as a different full set of kexts developed by KGP and others for the X99 chipset and described in section E.14 of this remarkably comprehensive thread. The kexts used by KGP in his iMacPro X99 system seem to work quite well on the Designare Z390. You may choose to install either the FakeSMC set provided through MultiBeast or the X99 variant attached here as filename KGP-X99-FakeSMC.zip. If you choose this one, copy all files to the CLOVER/kexts/other directory and delete FakeSMC.kext and all of the FakeSMC sensor kexts from /Library/Extensions. There should be only one FakeSMC. You can use Finder to delete FakeSMC kexts from /Library/Extensions, but you must then run Kext Utility to rebuild the kernel cache. If you are not comfortable with this, don't do it and just use FakeSMC installed through MultiBeast.

Attachments

• IMG_2008.jpg
    IMG_2008.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2007.jpg
    IMG_2007.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 154
Last edited:
I followed this install guide to the letter... except I missed a couple of letters!

When I got to the post install step I couldn't choose the MacMini 8,1 and then I realized that I installed the 10.14.0!! Is there any way to update at this point or do I need to start from scratch? (I literally stopped once I realized I couldn't choose the correct model so I haven't even done the post install reboot).

Back