Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Another update:
Flashed Mobo to F6.
Both Vega64 working properly.
System sees iGPU but FCP and Davinci still not addressing it.
And an interface update for the database, the Focusrite Clarett 8x interface is working great.
  • Is FCP export capability working?
  • In IORegistry, do you see AppleIntelFramebuffer as a child node of IGPU?
  • Do you have VideoProc? If so, you can click Setting followed by Options to see this page:
    Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 3.29.32 PM.png
  • Here we can see that HEVC and H.264 capabilities are provided by the RX 580.
  • We renamed the AMD and Intel GPUs such that alphabetically the RX580 and Vega come before Intel UHD 630. Certain apps prioritize GPUs for certain tasks based on their alphabetical order.

I'll reply briefly here, but for follow-up posts please point me to one of the other threads where you've raised this issue.
  • AMD GPUs have been rock solid on most motherboards, including Designare Z390. The RX 580 seems to be the least problematic.
  • Focus your troubleshooting only on a fresh install -- ideally a fresh install in which you haven't migrated any of your apps. You can sign in to iCloud, Messages, FaceTime, etc. but avoid installing any heavy-weight apps. Establish a working baseline.
  • Check a bunch of things:
    • Use memtest to verify memory.
    • Use a 650W or larger power supply.
    • Check your 24-pin motherboard cable and any PCI and auxiliary power cables going to the motherboard. Replace cables to see if that makes any difference.
    • Do you have a replacement power supply?
    • Does the crash happen randomly or always in the same App?
    • Is the system stable enough to let you update to 10.14.4?
    • Move the graphics card to another slot. Don't worry if the other slot can only provide 8 PCIe lanes or 4 PCIe lanes.
    • Update to the latest BIOS and check your BIOS parameters. Enable "Above 4G Decoding".
    • Do you have any SSDTs in CLOVER/ACPI/patched? Does it make a difference if you remove them temporarily?
    • In your CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder, are you using VBoxHfs64.efi or HFSPlus-64.efi?
    • How many of your internal SATA ports are you using? Have you checked your manual to determine which ones cannot be used when NVMe drive(s) are installed?
    • Is your CPU Fan properly connected? Are your temps under control? Did you apply a very thin amount of thermal paste?
    • Have you installed the Nvidia card at the same time?
    • What other PCIe cards are installed?
Thanks for your fast response.

I tried memtest for 24 hours and didn't have any errors, also on my 3rd ssd i have win10 x64 pro and never had any freezes with all this hardware I have tested so far.
I forgot to mention that also I bought a new psu Corsair Rm850x Gold edition (I had an OCZ Z series 1000w Gold).
I have triple checked all my connections, I tried also to connect my aio Nzxt Kraken x62 to aio pump and CPU fan connector and also for other peripherals I tried other connections w/o solving my issue.
Random freezes happen totally random... most times in idle mode. One strange thing all these last 5 months I have notice is that when I use screensaver and leave for example my system for 2 hours on, I don't have any freezes. So while in screensaver mode its the only time I never had any freezes.
Yes I updated in 15 mins successfully to 10.14.4 w/o issues.
I tried the 2nd pic express x16 w/o luck.
I have updated the bios twice but freezes are still present.
I have enabled in the past "above 4g Decoding" w/o luck also. Also tried many different bios settings.
I have make my custom SSDT for USB but before do this I still had random freezes. Also with custom SSDT on my previews mobo ASUS Prime Z390-A, had random freezes.
I'm using only HFSPlus-64.efi of the 2 you mentioned.
I'm using 5/6 SATA ports and also NVMe 970 Pro 500GB EVO. Manual tells that the 5 port if i remember well will reduce speed if NVMe SATA and not PCIex is used. In 5th port I have a DVD(RW) connected.
Temps in idle mode are mostly at 27C. Temps are very well controlled as Im using a Nzxt Kraken x62 280mm liquid cooler. I made this system mainly for my work which is photography/videography so Im using Resolve, Premiere, FCPX, Photoshop, Lightroom and many others w/o any issues regarding the temps. Also I have changed the thermal paste when I changed my motherboard 3 months ago and still random freezes.
No I didn't try Nvidia with together RX 580 at the same time.
Im not using any other pciex ports.

P.S. When I tried gtx1050 I had to enable "Launch CSM". With Rx580s it wasn't booting so I had it always off.
Also Im using 2x Dell Monitors. I tried to work with one but still had freezes.
Last I have also tried with only one ssd to work but still w/o luck.
A Hackintosh user since 2013 and 4 systems so far w/o issues and using always nvidia gpus. Now I switched to amd I have been doomed trying all this time desperately to find a solution to my problem... and alll of this cause I have take a vow to not going back to windows never again. I was building windows systems for 20 years now and worked also to a big company to pc sales department. The time I tried for 1st time Snow Leopard 10.6.8... it was a love from a first sight! Good days...

Last edited:
@skroutz999, I too had a similar issue before a long time ago with a Radeon 7950. I RMA:ed the card and received a new one and it worked fine. I suspect it might be some issue with your card.

@skroutz999, I too had a similar issue before a long time ago with a Radeon 7950. I RMA:ed the card and received a new one and it worked fine. I suspect it might be some issue with your card.
Hi xtreem.p, I have already tried 2 motherboards, 3 rx580s gpus and 2x psus and still random freezes are present.

Have u tried with 1 RAM?

Thanks for your fast response.

I tried memtest for 24 hours and didn't have any errors, also on my 3rd ssd i have win10 x64 pro and never had any freezes with all this hardware I have tested so far.
I forgot to mention that also I bought a new psu Corsair Rm850x Gold edition (I had an OCZ Z series 1000w Gold).
I have triple checked all my connections, I tried also to connect my aio Nzxt Kraken x62 to aio pump and CPU fan connector and also for other peripherals I tried other connections w/o solving my issue.
Random freezes happen totally random... most times in idle mode. One strange thing all these last 5 months I have notice is that when I use screensaver and leave for example my system for 2 hours on, I don't have any freezes. So while in screensaver mode its the only time I never had any freezes.
Yes I updated in 15 mins successfully to 10.14.4 w/o issues.
I tried the 2nd pic express x16 w/o luck.
I have updated the bios twice but freezes are still present.
I have enabled in the past "above 4g Decoding" w/o luck also. Also tried many different bios settings.
I have make my custom SSDT for USB but before do this I still had random freezes. Also with custom SSDT on my previews mobo ASUS Prime Z390-A, had random freezes.
I'm using only HFSPlus-64.efi of the 2 you mentioned.
I'm using 5/6 SATA ports and also NVMe 970 Pro 500GB EVO. Manual tells that the 5 port if i remember well will reduce speed if NVMe SATA and not PCIex is used. In 5th port I have a DVD(RW) connected.
Temps in idle mode are mostly at 27C. Temps are very well controlled as Im using a Nzxt Kraken x62 280mm liquid cooler. I made this system mainly for my work which is photography/videography so Im using Resolve, Premiere, FCPX, Photoshop, Lightroom and many others w/o any issues regarding the temps. Also I have changed the thermal paste when I changed my motherboard 3 months ago and still random freezes.
No I didn't try Nvidia with together RX 580 at the same time.
Im not using any other pciex ports.

P.S. When I tried gtx1050 I had to enable "Launch CSM". With Rx580s it wasn't booting so I had it always off.
Also Im using 2x Dell Monitors. I tried to work with one but still had freezes.
Last I have also tried with only one ssd to work but still w/o luck.
A Hackintosh user since 2013 and 4 systems so far w/o issues and using always nvidia gpus. Now I switched to amd I have been doomed trying all this time desperately to find a solution to my problem... and alll of this cause I have take a vow to not going back to windows never again. I was building windows systems for 20 years now and worked also to a big company to pc sales department. The time I tried for 1st time Snow Leopard 10.6.8... it was a love from a first sight! Good days...

I had freezes with XMP Enabled.
Try to switch Off.

Hey Guys,

I tried to follow the instructions for the Kracken Coolers at 24 Feb 2019 (updated 05 Mar 2019) on the first page. The URL to download and install liquidctl resulted in a 404 error. Is it possible to update that set of instructions? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi xtreem.p, I have already tried 2 motherboards, 3 rx580s gpus and 2x psus and still random freezes are present.
Can I interest you in a Designare Extraordinare Z390? :)

To anyone interested in following or contributing to this topic, please continue the discussion here:

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I tried to follow the instructions for the Kracken Coolers at 24 Feb 2019 (updated 05 Mar 2019) on the first page. The URL to download and install liquidctl resulted in a 404 error. Is it possible to update that set of instructions? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you for pointing this out. Link updated.

Back