Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Please try the attached CLOVER. Some comments/questions:
  • Backup the existing CLOVER folder from EFI partition of your Mojave SSD.
  • Then fully delete the CLOVER folder (including Empty the Trash).
  • Unzip and copy the attached CLOVER folder in place of the old one.
  • Place your serial numbers back into the config.plist SMBIOS section.
  • Reboot and see if it makes any difference:
    • Test the LG 5K when connected to UHD 630.
    • Test the LG 5K when connected via RX 580.
  • Is the RX 580 installed in Slot 2?
What I did:
  • According to your IORegistry the LG 5K Thunderbolt Display and all of its on-board devices (FaceTime camera, USB hub, speaker) are properly recognized.
  • LG 5K is driven by UHD 630, but the UHD 630 connector settings were incorrect. The two Thunderbolt ports were configured as type HDMI instead of DisplayPort. This has been fixed.
  • Your config.plist had IntelGFX set to 0x3E9B8086. This is not needed and should be avoided because WhateverGreen takes over this function. So the field has now been cleared.
  • Enabled the "Trust" flag in SMBIOS.
  • Added "-disablegfxfirmware" in Boot Arguments.
  • Added AppleALC settings via Device --> Properties for better long term compatibility.
  • Deleted all of the non-FakeSMC sensor kexts from CLOVER/kexts/Other.
  • Pruned the list of kexts in CLOVER/kexts/Other to a minimum set.
Same phantom display / Desktop as before with LG 5K connected to the RX 580 and UHD 630...

RX 580 is indeed in the second slot...

Any other thoughts regarding the display? Thoughts on my iMessage & FaceTime activation error?

Thanks a ton Casey!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 1.22.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 1.22.33 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Same phantom display / Desktop as before with LG 5K connected to the RX 580 and UHD 630...

RX 580 is indeed in the second slot...

Any other thoughts regarding the display? Thoughts on my iMessage & FaceTime activation error?

Thanks a ton Casey!
Please try one more thing:
  • Unplug PCI power cable from the RX 580 or remove it altogether. Be sure to shutdown the system and flip the power switch on the power supply. This ensures the motherboard is fully shut down.
  • Restart the system.
  • Do you have another monitor? Does it also experience the same phantom?
Edit: Also try the three boot arguments in the image below (one by one). After a bit of Googling, I wasn't able to find any straightforward solution. This does not mean a solution doesn't exist, but more searching is needed.
Edit 2: Also try setting BIOS --> CSM to Enabled.

Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 11.45.34 AM.png

Regarding Messages and FaceTime:
  • Sign out of iCloud.
  • Reboot.
  • Sign into iCloud (this must be done before the next step).
  • Then sign in to Messages. If this works, then signing in to FaceTime will also work.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 19.38.26.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 19.38.26.png
    869.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 19.39.46.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 19.39.46.png
    676.6 KB · Views: 81
So my Fractal Define R6 USB-C arrived. Because I have not (yet) installed a WIFI/BT option, would it be possible to activate both of the USB 2 Ports in the front panel instead? At the moment only one of the 2 USB2 ports is working. I'm using SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6.aml attached to CaseyJS's first post. I had no luck modifying this file with MaciASL…

So my Fractal Define R6 USB-C arrived. Because I have not (yet) installed a WIFI/BT option, would it be possible to activate both of the USB 2 Ports in the front panel instead? At the moment only one of the 2 USB2 ports is working. I'm using SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6.aml attached to CaseyJS's first post. I had no luck modifying this file with MaciASL…
Please try the attached version.

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-HS12.aml
    695 bytes · Views: 77
@CaseySJ First off, thanks for the detailed write up. Super appreciate it. I'm rocking an old IvyBridge setup from back in the day as my TimeMachine and Plex server (so I can backup my ridiculous amounts of data to BackBlaze) and it's now time to upgrade. I can't down-convert 4k --> 1080 for some of my friends non 4k devices.

I'm curious (maybe this was asked elsewhere in 264 pages of replies) about whether or not you could use a newer system definition for the new iMac hardware refresh launched this week when it comes available.

Also, would this guide work with an Nvidia GeForce GT710 as the external card?

@CaseySJ First off, thanks for the detailed write up. Super appreciate it. I'm rocking an old IvyBridge setup from back in the day as my TimeMachine and Plex server (so I can backup my ridiculous amounts of data to BackBlaze) and it's now time to upgrade. I can't down-convert 4k --> 1080 for some of my friends non 4k devices.

I'm curious (maybe this was asked elsewhere in 264 pages of replies) about whether or not you could use a newer system definition for the new iMac hardware refresh launched this week when it comes available.

Also, would this guide work with an Nvidia GeForce GT710 as the external card?
We are waiting for Apple to release macOS 10.14.4 next week, at which point we'll evaluate the possibility of using new iMac19,1, iMac19,2, and iMac19,3 (?) system definitions. MacOS 10.14.4 will be the first release to formally support 9th Gen Intel CPUs, so finally IGPU device ID 0x3E98 will not need to be spoofed to either 0x3E9B or 0x3E92. Moreover, in "About this Mac" we should see the 9th Gen CPUs properly named.

Just as today some users have reported better GeekBench scores simply by changing SMBIOS from Macmini8,1 to iMac18,3 or even iMacPro1,1, I'm hoping that similar or better performance gains might be realized by switching to iMac19,1 or iMac19,2.

Next week should therefore be quite interesting.

Regarding the Nvidia GT710, I believe you may have to veer off the path a bit:
  • You may need to install macOS:
    • With GT710 removed
    • With GT710 installed, but with IGFX in BIOS set to Disabled

Last edited:
Gotcha. Keeping my fingers crossed for next week's releases to see what happens! :) I'm not married to the card, so I'll probably pop the money to get the new RX 580 instead.

Do you think it would be worth it in the long run to spend the money for the i9-9900K to get that sweet sweet hyper threading? Or should I wait and maybe see if the new Intel chips drop this fall?

My current machine has lasted 8 years without any real problems, other than now my CPU is bottlenecking. Makes me wonder if I'd spent the extra couple hundred dollars to go to the hyperthreaded i7 if I'd get another couple years out of my rig.

Please try one more thing:
  • Unplug PCI power cable from the RX 580 or remove it altogether. Be sure to shutdown the system and flip the power switch on the power supply. This ensures the motherboard is fully shut down.
  • Restart the system.
  • Do you have another monitor? Does it also experience the same phantom?
Edit: Also try the three boot arguments in the image below (one by one). After a bit of Googling, I wasn't able to find any straightforward solution. This does not mean a solution doesn't exist, but more searching is needed.
Edit 2: Also try setting BIOS --> CSM to Enabled.

View attachment 394680

Regarding Messages and FaceTime:
  • Sign out of iCloud.
  • Reboot.
  • Sign into iCloud (this must be done before the next step).
  • Then sign in to Messages. If this works, then signing in to FaceTime will also work.
Some developments... Without the PowerColor VGA - AXRX 580 8GBD5-3DH/OC plugged in I don't get the phantom display. Tried with the LG UF 5k along side several other HDMI monitors I have and all behaves as it should.

Seems like that confirms the phantom display problem is caused by the video card. Do you agree?? I still have 3 weeks to return the card...

Still no luck with iMessages / FaceTime. Tried a brand new account and when prompted during the first login for iCloud it errors. After logging in with that new account I can then go to System Preferences, iCloud and get logged in just fine. Then when I launch iMessage I surprisingly get another authentication dialog, enter credentials and then the activation failure...

Tom

Attachments

• imessage activation error.png
    imessage activation error.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Gotcha. Keeping my fingers crossed for next week's releases to see what happens! :) I'm not married to the card, so I'll probably pop the money to get the new RX 580 instead.

Do you think it would be worth it in the long run to spend the money for the i9-9900K to get that sweet sweet hyper threading? Or should I wait and maybe see if the new Intel chips drop this fall?

My current machine has lasted 8 years without any real problems, other than now my CPU is bottlenecking. Makes me wonder if I'd spent the extra couple hundred dollars to go to the hyperthreaded i7 if I'd get another couple years out of my rig.
Buy now or wait: This is always a very subjective decision!

We know that Intel's 10nm process has been delayed repeatedly, but at CES in January Intel stated that its Ice Lake processors are expected at the end of 2019. But I suspect there will be significant product shortages as there were for the 9th Gen, perhaps more so. There are several exciting technologies in Ice Lake such as of course lower TDP, but also up to 10 cores, improved IGPU, and built-in deep learning extensions. Thunderbolt 3 is also expected to be built into the chipset, along with WiFi 6.

Having said that, one of the most significant advantages of building a Hackintosh is modularity. Yes, we have that magical modularity right now. This means that if I succumb to the temptation of Ice Lake, then:
  • I can buy a new motherboard for perhaps $250.
  • I can buy a new Ice Lake processor for perhaps $400.
  • I am done.
Modularity allows me to:
  • Keep my graphics card
  • Keep my 4K, 5K monitor
  • Keep my PC case
  • Keep my memory
  • Keep my NVMe drives
  • Keep my SATA drives
  • Keep my All-in-One Liquid Cooler
  • Keep my power supply
So for a total extra cost of $650 I can swap-in to Ice Lake. Moreover, I can even sell the old CPU and motherboard to offset some costs.

Modularity, in other words, changes the thought process for "buy now or wait". It allows us to do both.

Last edited:
Back