Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@mcljot Running "sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchAgents/liquidctl.plist" doesn't return an error but doesn't appear to be working either. Running from terminal getting the "(kernel) Can't remove kext com.apple.driver.usb.IOUSBHostHIDDevice; services failed to terminate - 0xdc008018. Failed to unload com.apple.driver.usb.IOUSBHostHIDDevice - (libkern/kext) kext is in use or retained (cannot unload)." followed by Access Denied for all the liquidctl commands.

Ramp up the CPU and temps rise but radiator fans don't spin up.

Do you know the cause or solution for this?

Thanks!

Tom
Solved...

Make sure to install the ACPI version that does not require unloading the IOUSBHostHIDDevice. Here is the version I found that works with 10.14.3.

@CaseySJ you should amend the build guide accordingly for the handful that are liquid cooled. The caveat can be removed and there's no USB interrupts. I can post a more comprehensive guide here if that's helpful...

Thanks all!

Tom

Last edited:
Reckond I have to read up a bit more on installing with Clover as I only know how to install with UniBeast. I will be installing High Sierra from scratch. I might just sell my Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti and go with AMD instead for Mojave. Thanks Avtor.

No problem at all, you can try using Unibeast to install High Sierra and follow @CaseySJ guide all the way through. Most likely it will work. It is just at least a year older than the one is used for Mojave and definitely using earlier Clover version, but it should still work in theory. You will have to then follow then the instructions from top to bottom.

Let us know how it goes.

@CaseySJ ,

Can I post a link to the guide how I configured just the Clover bootable USB? Was not sure if it is in compliance with this forum.

No problem at all, you can try using Unibeast to install High Sierra and follow @CaseySJ guide all the way through. Most likely it will work. It is just at least a year older than the one is used for Mojave and definitely using earlier Clover version, but it should still work in theory. You will have to then follow then the instructions from top to bottom.
Thank you for your inputs on High Sierra!
Can I post a link to the guide how I configured just the Clover bootable USB? Was not sure if it is in compliance with this forum.
The Rules on this are as follows:
  • Any posts referencing unapproved installation software, methods, or websites will be deleted. Approved installation methods are as follows: iBoot, UniBeast or createmedia.
If in doubt, please PM the link to me.

Last edited:
Thank you for your inputs on High Sierra!

Would you mind PM'img the link to me?

@CaseySJ , sure. Silly question though - how to do it? :) Have never done that before ...

@CaseySJ , sure. Silly question though - how to do it? :) Have never done that before ...
You don't have the required 75 minimum posts to send a PM.
@avtor, if the procedure involves iBoot, UniBeast, or createmedia, just post the link and the system will auto-flag it if it finds something objectionable.

@avtor, if the procedure involves iBoot, UniBeast, or createmedia, just post the link and the system will auto-flag it if it finds something objectionable.

@CaseySJ , thanks!

just did in replying to my own post.

One of the many benefits of having PCIe slots is that we don't need an eGPU! :) Local installation of a graphics card reduces latency and maximizes speed because it can take advantage of 8 or 16 dedicated lanes. An eGPU is limited to 4 (shared) lanes.

Nevertheless, if anyone has tried or is using an eGPU with a Hackintosh, please let us know...
Thanks @CaseySY for your reply. Yes I have had both GPU's in the computer, but I will also be getting another GPU to make three. My use-case uses openCL where I'm using the Compute Units, therefor the 4 PCIe lanes to the eGPU does not restrict the performance. Benchmarking under Linux and Windows has confirmed this.

This is a beautiful thread @CaseySJ !!

My build is looking good, but I've tried everything to get the HDMI port working. I've read this thread, I've done the Framebuffer patching, and it matches what's suggested in a number of places, but still for me I get a black screen after Clover over HDMI. My monitor says no signal from HDMI. If I switch to my USB-C --- DisplayPort cable, the screen lights right up on the login window, and everything's great.

I'm attaching my problem reporting. Output from black.dragon74's gen_debug, IORegistryExplorer, and a screenshot of L/E, compressed with get info --> compress

I would love to have some insight on getting that HDMI working. Maybe I missed an obvious step?

Update: Thats's exactly right! All I have is a very old HDMI cable. Thank you for taking a gander!

Attachments

• 1659.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:
This is a beautiful thread @CaseySJ !!

My build is looking good, but I've tried everything to get the HDMI port working. I've read this thread, I've done the Framebuffer patching, and it matches what's suggested in a number of places, but still for me I get a black screen after Clover over HDMI. My monitor says no signal from HDMI. If I switch to my USB-C --- DisplayPort cable, the screen lights right up on the login window, and everything's great.

I'm attaching my problem reporting. Output from black.dragon74's gen_debug, IORegistryExplorer, and a screenshot of L/E, compressed with get info --> compress

I would love to have some insight on getting that HDMI working. Maybe I missed an obvious step?
Your configuration looks perfectly good. Connector patches have been defined correctly and have been injected. WhateverGreen kext is active. In this case the most common sources of problems include:
  • Use of an adapter. If you're using any kind of adapter that's converting HDMI to some other port type, please try using a straight HDMI-to-HDMI cable.
  • Quality of cable. If you're using a 4K monitor, please check that the HDMI cable is certified for HDMI 1.4 or higher. If you have another HDMI cable readily available, try that.

Back