Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey Casey, this thread is getting so long I can't remember - have you installed Windows on a separate drive in your build? The received wisdom seems to be that I need to unplug my Mac and Linux drives during the Windows installation. This is a bit annoying given that they are screwed to the motherboard. The multi-boot section of this forum is somewhat helpful but the guides there aren't very in depth. What's the best practice here? I've also seen posts saying that each time you boot Windows, you must disconnect the other operating systems? Many thanks

Hey Casey, this thread is getting so long I can't remember - have you installed Windows on a separate drive in your build? The received wisdom seems to be that I need to unplug my Mac and Linux drives during the Windows installation. This is a bit annoying given that they are screwed to the motherboard. The multi-boot section of this forum is somewhat helpful but the guides there aren't very in depth. What's the best practice here? I've also seen posts saying that each time you boot Windows, you must disconnect the other operating systems? Many thanks
Actually I installed Windows 10 last weekend without having to uninstall any existing drives. However:
  • In BIOS it is absolutely positively unequivocally mandatory to specify:
    • Windows 8/10 Features → Windows 8/10 (or whatever the value is)
  • For macOS we set this to Other, but doing so will prevent Windows 10 from beginning the procedure to copy files to the target disk for installation.
  • Windows installer will not work on external drives (USB). It will only work on internal SATA and NVMe.
Once Windows is installed, you can change that setting back to Other even when boot back into Windows -- although it may be better to switch it back to Windows 8/10 whenever you're installing a new device or device driver in Windows.

Actually I installed Windows 10 last weekend without having to uninstall any existing drives. However:
  • In BIOS it is absolutely positively unequivocally mandatory to specify:
    • Windows 8/10 Features → Windows 8/10 (or whatever the value is)
  • For macOS we set this to Other, but doing so will prevent Windows 10 from beginning the procedure to copy files to the target disk for installation.
  • Windows installer will not work on external drives (USB). It will only work on internal SATA and NVMe.
Once Windows is installed, you can change that setting back to Other even when boot back into Windows -- although it may be better to switch it back to Windows 8/10 whenever you're installing a new device or device driver in Windows.
Hi, Casey SJ
Thank you for always wonderful information.
I do not know much about Windows 8/10 Features.
Why is the BIOS's Windows 8/10 Features set to Other?
I was set to Other without thinking too much.

@CaseySJ , Thanks for the guide! I managed to get Sierra 10.12.6 installed using a lot of this. I used your patch but replaced the coffee lake ig platform id and device id with kaby lake to get UHD630 working on my i9 9900k. I still have more to do, but with igfx, using sierra so my 1080ti will work along with a lot of other software, ethernet, and audio I'm pretty happy so far! :) . Now if only someone comes up with a patch to get the new Samsung 970 Evo Plus working...

Here is the modified patch for anyone that wants to run sierra on this beast. This goes in your config.plist/ devices/properties. It uses Whatevergreen.kext.

Code:
<key>Properties</key>
        <dict>
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
                <data>
                AAASWQ==
                </data>
                <key>device-id</key>
                <data>
                ElkAAA==
                </data>
                <key>enable-hdmi20</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con0-busid</key>
                <data>
                BQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con0-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con0-flags</key>
                <data>
                xwMAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con0-index</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con0-pipe</key>
                <data>
                CQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con0-type</key>
                <data>
                AAQAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-busid</key>
                <data>
                BgAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-flags</key>
                <data>
                xwMAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-index</key>
                <data>
                AgAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-pipe</key>
                <data>
                CgAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-type</key>
                <data>
                AAQAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con2-busid</key>
                <data>
                BAAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con2-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con2-flags</key>
                <data>
                xwMAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con2-index</key>
                <data>
                AwAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con2-pipe</key>
                <data>
                CAAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con2-type</key>
                <data>
                AAgAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con3-busid</key>
                <data>
                AAAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con3-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con3-flags</key>
                <data>
                IAAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con3-index</key>
                <data>
                /////w==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con3-pipe</key>
                <data>
                AAAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con3-type</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
        </dict>
Thank you very much for sharing the video connector configuration. Some follow-ups:
  • Is it for your Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5-TH motherboard?
  • Does the on-board HDMI port work with these settings?
  • This motherboard has on-board Thunderbolt; are you using Thunderbolt devices? If so, are they working well? And they're hot-pluggable?

Hi, Casey SJ
Thank you for always wonderful information.
I do not know much about Windows 8/10 Features.
Why is the BIOS's Windows 8/10 Features set to Other?
I was set to Other without thinking too much.
When we set this to "Windows 8/10" it enables WHQL or Windows Hardware Quality Labs certification. As far as I know, this significantly improves compatibility with Windows and allows the use of signed 64-bit device drivers.

For macOS, we do not need this, and it may cause some issues, so we set it to Other.

Thank you very much for sharing the video connector configuration. Some follow-ups:
  • Is it for your Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5-TH motherboard?
  • Does the on-board HDMI port work with these settings?
  • This motherboard has on-board Thunderbolt; are you using Thunderbolt devices? If so, are they working well? And they're hot-pluggable?
This is for a new build using the z390 Designare and core i9 9900k . Also GTX 1080ti. The GA-z87x-ud5-th was my original build from several years ago. I added the new build to my profile. Should I make this my main build on there? Not sure exactly how the rules about that work.

Yes, I'm using the onboard HDMI. Before your patch that I modified for Kaby Lake, I was either getting low res/ no acceleration, or left with a bunch of info from verbose mode that was stuck on the screen when I tried just using the Kaby Lake ig platform and device id. All the other kaby lake ig platforms I tried gave me a black screen. But I still had output from the 1080ti.

For Thunderbolt, I haven't done enough testing yet. I tried using your ssdt files, and thunderbolt is recognized as a pci device without anything plugged in. It just shows titan ridge, but not under thunderbolt devices. I tried hot swapping my UAD Satellite Octo with no success. My experience with thunderbolt on my z87 build as well as my lenovo yoga laptop is that it works nativly in OSX as long as you have it plugged in before boot. It usually just shows up as a pci bridge device, but works fine. I'm using a th3-th2 adapter on the Designare and I also have a blackmagic mini recorder I can test as well as a th2-firewire adapter. I'll let you know the results.

I have booted without SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V5, and iPhone worked with both read USB-C ports.
It was listed under HS08 and HS13.
Interesting and puzzling at the same time because:
  • The two USB-C ports on the back panel are mapped to HS01 and HS02 for USB 2.0 devices.
  • The two USB-C ports on the back panel are mapped to SS01 and SS02 for USB 3.1 devices.
  • Therefore HS08 and HS13 are disabled in the USB SSDT because HS01 and HS02 serve that purpose.
Looks like I may have to get a USB Type A to USB Type C adapter to check the behavior of USB 2.0 devices on those USB C ports.

Please note that the USB SSDT V5 has already activated the maximum of 15 ports. So if you would like HS08 and HS13 activated, I can modify the SSDT for you, but you will have to identify 2 existing ports to disable.

Alternatively, it might be a better solution to use a Lightning to USB Type A cable. Note that latest iPad Pros (and perhaps other iPhone and iPad models) support USB 3 speeds over Lightning, so those devices might connect properly to the two Thunderbolt 3 ports using SS01 and SS02 (not HS01 and HS02).
Finally an update to this issue concerning Lightning to USB-C cable for iPad and iPhone:
  • The upper Thunderbolt port is mapped to HS08 when a USB 2 device is connected.
  • The lower Thunderbolt port is mapped to HS13 when a USB 2 device is connected.
  • The front panel USB-C port (for PC cases with such a connector) is mapped to HS01 when a USB 2 device is connected.
Unfortunately we have already used up all 15 ports in the USB SSDT.

Currently, many iPhones and iPads operate over USB 2. However, it is rare for USB-C devices to operate over USB 2. The iPad Pros operate over USB 3 and it is possible that more of Apple's iOS devices will migrate to USB 3 speeds over Lightning or USB-C.

So for now it may be best to connect iPhone and iPad devices via Lightning to USB-A cables.

@CaseySJ Thanks for the detailed guide. Got 95% of the way done.
My build is a 9900K with the Z390 Designare and a MSI Vega 64, with dual booting Windows 10.

I am not able to see the UHD630 appearing in my system report under Graphics / Displays, I double checked all the steps but no success.

I also only have 2 ethernet cards showing compared to your 3, is that normal?

Last thing, how can I enable HDMI audio for the Vega 64?

Thanks again for the detailed guide, really appreciate it!

@CaseySJ Thanks for the detailed guide. Got 95% of the way done.
My build is a 9900K with the Z390 Designare and a MSI Vega 64, with dual booting Windows 10.

I am not able to see the UHD630 appearing in my system report under Graphics / Displays, I double checked all the steps but no success.

I also only have 2 ethernet cards showing compared to your 3, is that normal?

Last thing, how can I enable HDMI audio for the Vega 64?

Thanks again for the detailed guide, really appreciate it!
The UHD 630 will not appear in System Report, but its operation can be verified by running IORegistryExplorer and scrolling the device tree to "IGPU". If you see AppleIntelFrameBuffer... as a child node under IGPU, then it's properly configured and activated.

Two Ethernet ports are correct, one for each of the RJ45 connectors on the rear IO panel. My screenshot has 3 Ethernet devices because my OWC 14-Port Dock contains a Gigabit Ethernet port.

HDMI audio on Vega and RX series cards should be enabled automatically. Does HDMI audio through the Vega function normally in your Windows boot?

@jdapolo @trs96

I received the Fenvi FV-T919 card and got a chance to test it out. Unfortunately, I have revoked the recommendation from the build guide. Here are the details:
  • WiFi on this card works perfectly. If someone just cares about WiFi, they can use this card and simply not connect the USB Bluetooth cable.
  • Installed in a PCIe x1 slot (same slot as the original).
  • It uses the Broadcom BCM20703 Rev. A1 chipset for Bluetooth.
  • System Report --> Bluetooth shows a valid Bluetooth address.
  • However:
    • No devices can be connected
    • No new devices can be paired
    • It takes 10 minutes (?) to change state from On to Off and back to On
  • The accompanying CD only contains drivers for Windows.
However, the Padarsey Broadcom modem that I originally purchased works flawlessly. Not only is WiFi speed exceedingly good, but Bluetooth is totally flawless.
  • This one uses an older Broadcom BCM20702 Rev. B0 chipset for Bluetooth, but it just works.
I have therefore revoked the recommendation for the Fenvi FV-T919.

Fenvi Card Bluetooth Information:

Padarsey Card Bluetooth Information:

Back