Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I received the Fenvi FV-T919 card and got a chance to test it out.
Would you post the link to the page you bought it from on Ebay ?

It uses the Broadcom BCM20703 Rev. A1 chipset for Bluetooth
Most everyone that buys the FV-T919 cards from Newegg have working BT. It may be that those use
another chipset than the one you've got. Would be great if a Fenvi card owner who bought from Newegg
would check their specs in System Information -> Bluetooth and report here.

Last edited:
Would you post the link to the page you bought it from on Ebay ?
This is the one:
At least they say this:

Most everyone that buys the FV-T919 cards from Newegg have working BT. It may be that those use
another chipset than the one you've got. Would be great if a Fenvi card owner who bought from Newegg
would check their specs in System Information -> Bluetooth and report here.
Agreed.

This is the one:
When looking at my BCM94360CD card, I bought before the FV-T919 was available, it uses chipset 20702B0. I wonder if Fenvi has changed the BT chip on all of their T919 cards for the latest versions ? Why would they do that when the majority of their buyers are Hackintosh owners ? The reason people buy these is to get Wifi and BT that works.

Hi @CaseySJ

I have followed your guide and for the most part the system works (still testing it). I do have a question on graphics though .. I put your values there and strangely enough it shows in "About this Mac" - Intel 500 14 MB. On top of it Chrome browser is fleackering, Safari is more stable but still have some artifacts left from mouse pointer when moving in the tabs area. Do you happen to know what am I missing?

The only difference I have from your system is really that I'm using onboard graphics and OS - I'm still on High Sierra as I'm in fact recovering from my previous Z77x-UP5TH failure. So I did not need to install, but rather configure my EFI properly on the already installed High Sierra drive from the past to reflect the new hardware.

Thanks for the guide again!! and would highly appreciate your help!

@jdapolo @trs96

I received the Fenvi FV-T919 card and got a chance to test it out. Unfortunately, I have revoked the recommendation from the build guide. Here are the details:
  • WiFi on this card works perfectly. If someone just cares about WiFi, they can use this card and simply not connect the USB Bluetooth cable.
  • Installed in a PCIe x1 slot (same slot as the original).
  • It uses the Broadcom BCM20703 Rev. A1 chipset for Bluetooth.
  • System Report --> Bluetooth shows a valid Bluetooth address.
  • However:
    • No devices can be connected
    • No new devices can be paired
    • It takes 10 minutes (?) to change state from On to Off and back to On
  • The accompanying CD only contains drivers for Windows.
However, the Padarsey Broadcom modem that I originally purchased works flawlessly. Not only is WiFi speed exceedingly good, but Bluetooth is totally flawless.
  • This one uses an older Broadcom BCM20702 Rev. B0 chipset for Bluetooth, but it just works.
I have therefore revoked the recommendation for the Fenvi FV-T919.

Fenvi Card Bluetooth Information:
View attachment 392072

Padarsey Card Bluetooth Information:
View attachment 392073

Oh no!! Maybe that's the reason why I had to put it to something above X1 to work, as it won't otherwise work even in Windows. I just checked and I have indeed the same Fenvi card chipset at yours. What's your suggestion @CaseySJ @trs96 ? Though I must say, other than having to put it to non-X1 card, my wifi and bluetooth are working fine. Thoughts?

Running into a strange problem, when the desktop goes to sleep and wakes up, it isn't able to connect to any Thunderbolt Devices or connect to wifi. Anyone know how to possibly fix that. If its a normal startup everything works as expected.

Running into a strange problem, when the desktop goes to sleep and wakes up, it isn't able to connect to any Thunderbolt Devices or connect to wifi. Anyone know how to possibly fix that. If its a normal startup everything works as expected.
Have you tried the suggestions here in the "Fixing Sleep" section of the guide?

This is for a new build using the z390 Designare and core i9 9900k . Also GTX 1080ti. The GA-z87x-ud5-th was my original build from several years ago. I added the new build to my profile. Should I make this my main build on there? Not sure exactly how the rules about that work.

Yes, I'm using the onboard HDMI. Before your patch that I modified for Kaby Lake, I was either getting low res/ no acceleration, or left with a bunch of info from verbose mode that was stuck on the screen when I tried just using the Kaby Lake ig platform and device id. All the other kaby lake ig platforms I tried gave me a black screen. But I still had output from the 1080ti.

For Thunderbolt, I haven't done enough testing yet. I tried using your ssdt files, and thunderbolt is recognized as a pci device without anything plugged in. It just shows titan ridge, but not under thunderbolt devices. I tried hot swapping my UAD Satellite Octo with no success. My experience with thunderbolt on my z87 build as well as my lenovo yoga laptop is that it works nativly in OSX as long as you have it plugged in before boot. It usually just shows up as a pci bridge device, but works fine. I'm using a th3-th2 adapter on the Designare and I also have a blackmagic mini recorder I can test as well as a th2-firewire adapter. I'll let you know the results.
I encountered some strange Thunderbolt issues yesterday that may be somewhat similar to what you're experiencing. I was trying to observe the consequences in BIOS of setting this:
  • Power
    • ErP → Enabled
In the build guide, ErP is Disabled. However, someone stated that enabling this might fully power down USB ports during shutdown, but I believe this leads to some unexpected problems with Thunderbolt where no devices will be connected.

So it's back to:
  • Power
    • ErP → Disabled
And now Thunderbolt is stable once again. So if you have this "Enabled", try disabling it. Then save and exit. And do a shutdown. Then unplug from wall for 10 seconds, and reboot.

Hi @CaseySJ

I have followed your guide and for the most part the system works (still testing it). I do have a question on graphics though .. I put your values there and strangely enough it shows in "About this Mac" - Intel 500 14 MB. On top of it Chrome browser is fleackering, Safari is more stable but still have some artifacts left from mouse pointer when moving in the tabs area. Do you happen to know what am I missing?

The only difference I have from your system is really that I'm using onboard graphics and OS - I'm still on High Sierra as I'm in fact recovering from my previous Z77x-UP5TH failure. So I did not need to install, but rather configure my EFI properly on the already installed High Sierra drive from the past to reflect the new hardware.

Thanks for the guide again!! and would highly appreciate your help!
Hmm, user error??!! ;)

Kidding aside, let's have a look at your config.plist.

I assume you have Lilu and WhateverGreen in /Library/Extensions and CLOVER/kexts/Other?

Oh no!! Maybe that's the reason why I had to put it to something above X1 to work, as it won't otherwise work even in Windows. I just checked and I have indeed the same Fenvi card chipset at yours. What's your suggestion @CaseySJ @trs96 ? Though I must say, other than having to put it to non-X1 card, my wifi and bluetooth are working fine. Thoughts?
I'll check the behavior of my card in a x16 slot later today.

If the card is working well enough in a (wasted) x16 slot, then I think you should continue to use it! But as soon as you need that x16 slot for something else, you might want to find an alternative solution. But look specifically for:
  • BCM94360CS2 <-- GOOD; must have every one of these characters in the name
  • BCM94360 <-- REJECT
  • BCM94360CS <-- REJECT
  • BCM943602 <-- REJECT
Edit:
  • BCM94360CD <-- GOOD as well

Last edited:
Back