Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

First of all, thanks you so much for all the help! this is really amazing. Turns out I'm an idiot and I did have an extensions folder. I just looked in the /User/Library, I didn't realise there are three different library folders. Sorry!

anyway, here it is! I already noticed theres no whatevergreen there... anything else?

View attachment 391317

Edit - Installed it - Here it is- anything else?
View attachment 391318
Looks good now. Did you run Kext Utility after copying WhateverGreen? Can the system boot normally now?

Looks good now. Did you run Kext Utility after copying WhateverGreen? Can the system boot normally now?

Ran the utility, rebooted, it's all good.

So I still have some issues then... The graphics are still not properly configured, my shutdown restarts and I have no control over the brightness (for the latter(s) I tried the fix on post#1 and also on other posts in the forum, but no luck so far). What should be my next step then? Also, unrelated but troubling, I have 32GB 3000MHz RAM installed on A1 and B1 but I'm getting only 16GB with 2400 MHz, also in the BIOS (at first they were on a2 and b2, same outcome). Is it an overclocking thing I have to figure out?

Question, Is any other Video Card you will recommend?
Thanks Again

Ran the utility, rebooted, it's all good.

So I still have some issues then... The graphics are still not properly configured, my shutdown restarts and I have no control over the brightness (for the latter(s) I tried the fix on post#1 and also on other posts in the forum, but no luck so far). What should be my next step then? Also, unrelated but troubling, I have 32GB 3000MHz RAM installed on A1 and B1 but I'm getting only 16GB with 2400 MHz, also in the BIOS (at first they were on a2 and b2, same outcome). Is it an overclocking thing I have to figure out?
For graphics configuration, please see the second spoiler here (to configure both Audio Layout and UHD630):

For slow memory, have you enabled X.M.P. Profile 1 in BIOS? That should address the speed issue, but not the 16 vs 32 GB issue.

The 16 vs 32 GB issue is troubling. If you have already reseated the DIMM modules, what do you see when you open System Information --> Memory? In the image below, you can see that my MacBook Air has 2 memory modules, each being 2GB (yes it's an old machine, but still quite capable).

For Shutdown/Reboot issues, please compare your config.plist settings and BIOS settings with those in the Post-Installation section of the build guide. Also try installing EmuVariableUefi-64 into the driversUefi64 folder.

Question, Is any other Video Card you will recommend?
Thanks Again
In general, Vega cards are more difficult to setup than RX 580, but Vega runs much faster. From Apple's own website:

AMD Radeon RX 470, RX 480, RX 570, RX 580, and Radeon Pro WX 7100
Recommended graphics cards include the Sapphire Pulse series and the AMD WX series.

AMD Radeon RX Vega 56
Recommended graphics cards include the Sapphire Vega 56 and XFX Vega 56.

AMD Radeon RX Vega 64, Vega Frontier Edition Air, and Radeon Pro WX 9100
Recommended graphics cards include the Sapphire Vega 64, XFX Vega 64, AMD Frontier Edition air-cooled, and AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100.

I have the weirdest problem with my setup that is causing me to lose my mind :banghead:

Weeks ago I purchased components fairly similar to CaseySJ, and followed his excellent guide to install without difficulty. After an hour or so of perfect use, the computer began restarting itself intermittently (or occasionally hanging). I re-installed multiple times (even from a newly created USB installer) with no improvement - sometimes MacOS would run fine for several minutes or longer, and other times it would not even fully boot. I suspected a hardware problem. Eventually, taking out the MSI RX580 GPU and immediately plugging it back in did the trick. I was so relieved! My Hackintosh worked a treat for a couple of weeks.

This past weekend the intermittent re-booting started again. After only the second or third of these, something even worse happened. The computer now waits at the BIOS splash screen but no keys work, including neither F12 for the boot menu nor DEL for BIOS setup. After a few minutes of waiting, I am offered a menu of boot options, which will include any USB sticks plugged in but neither the Gammix S11 Pro NVME (with Mojave) nor the Samsung 840 EVO SATA SSD (with Windows) is offered. "Enter setup" is however an option, and this allows me delayed entry to the BIOS - at which point my USB keyboard works just fine (so that's not why F12 and DEL fail to work). I can load optimized defaults, select all the BIOS settings on page 1 of this thread, etc., but all to no avail. I even tried Q-flashing the BIOS the version 6c from this route. Looking at the BIOS peripherals screen, the SATA drive is recognized and correctly described, but no NVME drive is recognized.

Any ideas how to move forward, please?

For graphics configuration, please see the second spoiler here (to configure both Audio Layout and UHD630):

For slow memory, have you enabled X.M.P. Profile 1 in BIOS? That should address the speed issue, but not the 16 vs 32 GB issue.

The 16 vs 32 GB issue is troubling. If you have already reseated the DIMM modules, what do you see when you open System Information --> Memory? In the image below, you can see that my MacBook Air has 2 memory modules, each being 2GB (yes it's an old machine, but still quite capable).

View attachment 391348

For Shutdown/Reboot issues, please compare your config.plist settings and BIOS settings with those in the Post-Installation section of the build guide. Also try installing EmuVariableUefi-64 into the driversUefi64 folder.

x.m.p profile 1 is enabled...

About the graphics, I followed that spoiler and ended up stuck with the gIOCONSOLE USERS message and couldn't access my desktop. I tried it again after the kext thing you help me sort out and it was again, and I can only restart when those changes are disabled through the CBM. I compared the config to your post installation again and I couldn't find differences, I also did all my bios settings according to your guide more than once and double check so I don't know what's up. The EmuVariableUefi-64 driver is indeed installed, but I used the configurator for that. Is that a problem?

this is the system information about graphics-

I'll upload my clover folder in its current state again to make sure.

I also tried the idiots guide to lilu and WhateverGreen,and the frame buffer guide, but every time there too many different parameters compared to my system that it was getting hard to followthrough.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to this thing reaching its full potential, exciting stuff!

edit - managed to fix the ram frequency, still showing only 16 gigs... f6c bios-

Attachments

• CLOVER 2.zip
    2 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I have the weirdest problem with my setup that is causing me to lose my mind :banghead:

Weeks ago I purchased components fairly similar to CaseySJ, and followed his excellent guide to install without difficulty. After an hour or so of perfect use, the computer began restarting itself intermittently (or occasionally hanging). I re-installed multiple times (even from a newly created USB installer) with no improvement - sometimes MacOS would run fine for several minutes or longer, and other times it would not even fully boot. I suspected a hardware problem. Eventually, taking out the MSI RX580 GPU and immediately plugging it back in did the trick. I was so relieved! My Hackintosh worked a treat for a couple of weeks.

This past weekend the intermittent re-booting started again. After only the second or third of these, something even worse happened. The computer now waits at the BIOS splash screen but no keys work, including neither F12 for the boot menu nor DEL for BIOS setup. After a few minutes of waiting, I am offered a menu of boot options, which will include any USB sticks plugged in but neither the Gammix S11 Pro NVME (with Mojave) nor the Samsung 840 EVO SATA SSD (with Windows) is offered. "Enter setup" is however an option, and this allows me delayed entry to the BIOS - at which point my USB keyboard works just fine (so that's not why F12 and DEL fail to work). I can load optimized defaults, select all the BIOS settings on page 1 of this thread, etc., but all to no avail. I even tried Q-flashing the BIOS the version 6c from this route. Looking at the BIOS peripherals screen, the SATA drive is recognized and correctly described, but no NVME drive is recognized.

Any ideas how to move forward, please?
Just curious: What came first -- your username or the problems described above? :) (Sorry, I couldn't let that go.)

In cases like this the first course of action is to try to isolate hardware components systematically. You already reseated the RX 580 GPU.
  • How about the power supply? Do you have another one on hand?
  • Is the power supply at least 500W?
  • How about memory DIMMs? Have you tried reseating them or moving them from A1/B1 to A2/B2?
  • Are all power cables securely connected to all components (to motherboard, to SATA drives, to CPU cooler, to fans)?

x.m.p profile 1 is enabled...
View attachment 391358

About the graphics, I followed that spoiler and ended up stuck with the gIOCONSOLE USERS message and couldn't access my desktop. I tried it again after the kext thing you help me sort out and it was again, and I can only restart when those changes are disabled through the CBM. I compared the config to your post installation again and I couldn't find differences, I also did all my bios settings according to your guide more than once and double check so I don't know what's up. The EmuVariableUefi-64 driver is indeed installed, but I used the configurator for that. Is that a problem?

this is the system information about graphics-
View attachment 391365
I'll upload my clover folder in its current state again to make sure.

I also tried the idiots guide to lilu and WhateverGreen,and the frame buffer guide, but every time there too many different parameters compared to my system that it was getting hard to followthrough.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to this thing reaching its full potential, exciting stuff!

edit - managed to fix the ram frequency, still showing only 16 gigs... f6c bios-

View attachment 391367
  • You have 4 DIMMs, each 8GB, but only Bank 0 and Bank 1 are showing?
  • Are all 4 DIMMs the same make and model?
  • If you swap the DIMMs from A1/B1 to A2/B2 and vice-versa, which ones show up?
  • How did you fix the memory speed problem?
I'll have a look at the CLOVER folder shortly.

Hello, I’m a relatively new member and very new to Hackintosh-ing. I have been following this thread and went about building over the past weekend. I am able to boot and get running, but with a couple of issues. None of my 3 sata drives are accessible or visible. They show up in bios but not in the system. I also have a 2nd nvme Ssd with Win10 installed that does show up. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.9 KB · Views: 147
  • KB’s iMac.ioreg
    8.1 MB · Views: 80
Back