Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

• Are you using one of the two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports on the rear I/O panel or a USB-C port on your computer case (assuming it has one)?
  • Are you using a Lightning to USB-C "charging" cable or full sync and charge cable?
  • I have only used a Lightning to USB-A cable, so maybe someone else can comment as well...
Rear port, I don’t have a front USB-C port. I’m using the original Appe cable, it works good on the MacBook.

• Are you using one of the two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports on the rear I/O panel or a USB-C port on your computer case (assuming it has one)?
  • Are you using a Lightning to USB-C "charging" cable or full sync and charge cable?
  • I have only used a Lightning to USB-A cable, so maybe someone else can comment as well...
I have booted without SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V5, and iPhone worked with both read USB-C ports.
It was listed under HS08 and HS13.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 1.24.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 1.24.20 PM.png
    276.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 1.24.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 1.24.29 PM.png
    296 KB · Views: 72
I have booted without SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V5, and iPhone worked with both read USB-C ports.
I am running V4 of that. I just verified my iPhone does not connect via the TB3 ports on the back or my pass throught TB3 on my Thunderbolt OWC drive array. With that said I added the USB-c breakout from the Designare MB to a back panel. That does work for the iPhone. I normally have my Time Machine external drive attached to it.

Jules

Interesting and puzzling at the same time because:
  • The two USB-C ports on the back panel are mapped to HS01 and HS02 for USB 2.0 devices.
  • The two USB-C ports on the back panel are mapped to SS01 and SS02 for USB 3.1 devices.
  • Therefore HS08 and HS13 are disabled in the USB SSDT because HS01 and HS02 serve that purpose.
Looks like I may have to get a USB Type A to USB Type C adapter to check the behavior of USB 2.0 devices on those USB C ports.

Please note that the USB SSDT V5 has already activated the maximum of 15 ports. So if you would like HS08 and HS13 activated, I can modify the SSDT for you, but you will have to identify 2 existing ports to disable.

Alternatively, it might be a better solution to use a Lightning to USB Type A cable. Note that latest iPad Pros (and perhaps other iPhone and iPad models) support USB 3 speeds over Lightning, so those devices might connect properly to the two Thunderbolt 3 ports using SS01 and SS02 (not HS01 and HS02).

Thanks for great work CaseySJ!
Have got everything up and running except for a ASUS XG-C100C 10Gb Lan card. It works perfectly in Windows, but doesn't seem to be detected on the Mac side. The other 2 lan ports are detected and work well, but would love the 10gb speeds. Do you have any suggestions?

Also how do I rename RX580 to AMD Radeon RX580?

Last edited:
Thanks for great work CaseySJ!
Have got everything up and running except for a ASUS XG-C100C 10Gb Lan card. It works perfectly in Windows, but doesn't seem to be detected on the Mac side. The other 2 lan ports are detected and work well, but would love the 10gb speeds. Do you have any suggestions?

Also how do I rename RX580 to AMD Radeon RX580?
Looks like there is no good solution for this card in Mojave. But it seems to work in High Sierra; at least High Sierra is able to upload firmware to the card. People are recommending this one instead, which works natively in Mojave:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G2DV9K2/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

References:
  1. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...d-extended-guide.255082/page-218#post-1915442
  2. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...d-extended-guide.255082/page-163#post-1903780

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum but I've been reading as much of this thread as possible and appreciate all the effort that everyones put in.

I'm contemplating making a build for fcpx video editing with this motherboard, is there anyone in this thread that uses this motherboard for serious fcpx video editing if so could you please let me know how stable it is? I'm thinking about the i9-9900k and Vega 64 with it

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum but I've been reading as much of this thread as possible and appreciate all the effort that everyones put in.

I'm contemplating making a build for fcpx video editing with this motherboard, is there anyone in this thread that uses this motherboard for serious fcpx video editing if so could you please let me know how stable it is? I'm thinking about the i9-9900k and Vega 64 with it
I use it for FCPX and Motion. It is rock solid. I started with a RX 580 and then, through the graciousness of a friend have a Radeon Pro WX 9100. I also do audio editing for a Podcast. That requires exporting hour long files as MP3 and this really flies with that too. I attribute the speed to the SSD's I am using as much as the CPU and Graphics Card. I have read on this board that the Vega 64 has fan issues sometimes. Read through the thread -- I don't have personal experience with it.
Jules

Back