Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Do you know if this motherboard can output video through Thunderbolt but use PCIe GPU? Also will it work with TB2 Device and monitor using an adapter?
Yes and Yes. However, Thunderbolt 1 devices will not work. For example, Apple Thunderbolt Display is not compatible at this time.

Hi,
I am updating my multiboot system with a Gigabyte Z390 Designare motherboard. As these posts explained,
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-1878782
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-1878787
the two M.2 connectors share the bandwidth with the SATA3 connectors. In this way, using both M.2 connectors I would lose the possibility of using three SATA3 connectors.
I’m planning to install maOS Mojave with Clover in a NVMe PCIe SSD using the M2M connector, and I need to install Windows 10 on a second NVMe PCIe SSD:
is it possible to use a M.2 to PCIe x4 adapter card for the Windows 10 SSD (to preserve an additional SATA3 connector and have a full PCIe x4 bandwidth on the NVMe PCIe SSD)?
You can certainly purchase a PCIe x4 card that accommodates one or more NVMe SSDs. As long as the card is advertised as being Mac-compatible, it should work in this system.

However, before you do that, how many SATA devices do you expect to connect?
  • You can connect 3 SATA drives when both M2M and M2P are populated.
  • If you need more internal SATA ports, you can always purchase something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0M5NV7/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
  • This is Mac-compatible (there are several other similar products from different manufacturers) and uses a x1 PCIe slot.
Could this solution determine a reduction in bandwidth from x4 to x2 on the M.2 slots?
On the Designare motherboard, the NVMe slots (M2M and M2P) do not share bandwidth with PCIe slots. They share bandwidth with SATA ports instead. So installing a card into the PCIe x4 slot will not reduce your M2M/M2P speeds.

I am sorry, I am not concerned with krake's fix problem, it is a problem of FInal cut pro's application crash.
We should not manually select any Framebuffer in Clover Configurator.

Have you switched to headless platform ID (0x3E910003 or 0x3E920003) and SMBIOS iMac18,3 or iMacPro1,1? This should be enough to enable Final Cut Pro.

We should not manually select any Framebuffer in Clover Configurator.

Have you switched to headless platform ID (0x3E910003 or 0x3E920003) and SMBIOS iMac18,3 or iMacPro1,1? This should be enough to enable Final Cut Pro.
Do you know - does it matter to enable or disable integrated GPU in headless mode?
Also, i have no crashed without custom platform ID... (with my RX 580)

What is platform ID? Is it graphics->ig_platform id?
0x3E91(2)...3 means UHD 630 graphics - is it headless?

Last edited:
Do you know - does it matter to enable or disable integrated GPU in headless mode?
Also, i have no crashed without custom platform ID... (with my RX 580)

What is platform ID? Is it graphics->ig_platform id?
0x3E91(2)...3 means UHD 630 graphics - is it headless?
  • The iGPU should be enabled even in headless mode. In headless mode, iGPU will not connect to a display monitor, but iGPU will still be used for HEVC, H.264, Quick Look, Preview, Quick Sync, etc.
  • Yes, platform ID is "ig-platform-id". Platform IDs 0x3E910003 and 0x3E920003 are both headless IDs. The non-headless ID for this system is 0x3E9B0007.

You can certainly purchase a PCIe x4 card that accommodates one or more NVMe SSDs. As long as the card is advertised as being Mac-compatible, it should work in this system.

However, before you do that, how many SATA devices do you expect to connect?
  • You can connect 3 SATA drives when both M2M and M2P are populated.
  • If you need more internal SATA ports, you can always purchase something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0M5NV7/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
  • This is Mac-compatible (there are several other similar products from different manufacturers) and uses a x1 PCIe slot.
On the Designare motherboard, the NVMe slots (M2M and M2P) do not share bandwidth with PCIe slots. They share bandwidth with SATA ports instead. So installing a card into the PCIe x4 slot will not reduce your M2M/M2P speeds.

Thanks fo Your reply.

About the possibility to have more internal SATA ports, this would not solve the problem that I would like to have the same bandwidth on both the ssd drive with macOS/Clover installed and the one with Windows 10 and in your post

You say that perhaps the M2P connector could have a bandwidth of x2: Is your opinion about this still valid at the moment?

Thanks fo Your reply.

About the possibility to have more internal SATA ports, this would not solve the problem that I would like to have the same bandwidth on both the ssd drive with macOS/Clover installed and the one with Windows 10 and in your post

You say that perhaps the M2P connector could have a bandwidth of x2: Is your opinion about this still valid at the moment?
M2M and M2P will operate at x4 speeds as long as you use NVMe PCIe x4 SSDs. M2M and M2P will not slow down to x2. Just ensure that you use a maximum of 3 on-board SATA ports (SATA1, SATA2, SATA3). You will not be able to use SATA0, SATA4, and SATA5.

• The iGPU should be enabled even in headless mode. In headless mode, iGPU will not connect to a display monitor, but iGPU will still be used for HEVC, H.264, Quick Look, Preview, Quick Sync, etc.
  • Yes, platform ID is "ig-platform-id". Platform IDs 0x3E910003 and 0x3E920003 are both headless IDs. The non-headless ID for this system is 0x3E9B0007.
I have read it should be disabled, as PCIe GPU used for rendering...
How to understand 3E91 or 3E92 to use? Or only experiments?
What is headless - non-headless? Is it iGPU or it means connected to physical monitor?

What if my HD 4000 is not used for HEVC encoding, but H264 works good - any additional setup for HEVC?

I have tried connecting my iPhone using a USB-C to Lightning cable but it wasn't detected, only charging was working.
Has anyone got this to work on this motherboard?

I have tried connecting my iPhone using a USB-C to Lightning cable but it wasn't detected, only charging was working.
Has anyone got this to work on this motherboard?
  • Are you using one of the two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports on the rear I/O panel or a USB-C port on your computer case (assuming it has one)?
  • Are you using a Lightning to USB-C "charging" cable or full sync and charge cable?
  • I have only used a Lightning to USB-A cable, so maybe someone else can comment as well...

Back