Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Casey any idea if the system definition for Vega 64 under framebuffer? I saw I shouldn’t use the Orinoco definition with your updates . Thanks!
I believe we should never inject a framebuffer using Clover if Lilu/WhateverGreen are installed. So I would blank out that field and see if the system crashes or if any of the video ports on Vega are blank (no vide output). If so, it would be better to search for an alternative solution.

I have the plist and serials in and I can now put my computer to sleep and wake it up with just one key press. Only the RX 580 is showing up under graphics now. The UHD Graphics 630 is showing up under PCI, but doesn't list any video memory. I have lost Final Cut and iMovie though. They crash on launch. Final Cut was a big reason I was building this computer. In fact, I'm currently in the middle of a video project in Final Cut and need to get back to work on it. After reading over the solutions for Final Cut support on page 1, I figure I now have three options:

Option 1: The two monitor setup after a slight BIOS change. Desk space is at a premium right now. I also don't want to spend any more money on this project at the moment, so buying a thunderbolt to displayport or HDMI adapter is out. For now at least.

Option 2: Reconfigure config.plist to make the OS recognize this computer as an iMac or Mac Pro and change a few other things around. I'm gonna put this option in the maybe pile because I'm not sold on it yet as I don't know if this is dangerous or not. My concern is that I have already logged into my iCloud to this as a Mac Mini and that changing the system is going to draw concern from Apple who could lock me out of my account, potentially worse. There was something in the post-install that said to avoid logging into iCloud with different serials, so I'm trying to err on the side of caution here.

Option 3: Revert back to my old config.plist and live without sleep mode. It'll bring back Final Cut but I'll lose the ability to wake from sleep and the benefits of hardware H.264.

I don't know enough about Macs to figure out a solution that lets me keep my mac mini status, my iGFX, and my wake from sleep, and my Final Cut all at the same time. I admit that I may be overthinking this or just worrying too much. Thoughts?
All FCP users running this particular configuration have successfully switched to a headless platform ID and SMBIOS name. You shouldn’t worry about multiple iCloud accounts as long as you log in to iCloud and delete the obsolete ones. Apple will not lock you out. I had 5 fake MacMini accounts, but removed all but one with no ill effects. The key is not to abuse iCloud and to take responsible and timely steps to eliminate spam accounts.

Status update:

The "two cable method" with Macmini8,1 to enable iGPU acceleration in FCP was unstable for me. I would randomly boot into a black screen, get 'frozen' screen (but working mouse), get a couple of seconds of black screen in the middle of session etc. Things were even worse after sleep. Perhaps this was due to the lack of framebuffer patch?

Either way, I switched to the imac 18.3 SMBios .plist which would offer the alternative solution to the FCP problem. And this time it worked without any changes! So my guess is that maybe it would have worked the first time for me, if I had gone into BIOS and disabled/re-enabled iGPU when I tested the first time.

So currently I seem to almost have a fully functional system, except:

Media disabled after sleep - basically any app using media (spotify, quicktime, VLC player, FCP) will become unresponsive/not open. Apps like thunderbird, text edit (etc) open and close without any problems.

I have applied your "sleep and wake" terminal fix, as this was a necessity to even get back from sleep. I just tried it a second time but I still have the “media” problem. Any ideas on what to try next?

Last edited:
I'd like to essentially copy this build but I want to do a retro case for my hackintosh (G4 Quicksilver) so I need a mATX sized board. But I want the Thunderbolt hotplug support -any suggestions?

(actually while I'm here I can use daisy chained displays (Apple Thunderbolt) with a thunderbolt hackintosh right? I've been reading on thunderbolt builds but I never see anyone confirm that they can chain the displays)

Status update:

The "two cable method" with Macmini8,1 to enable iGPU acceleration in FCP was unstable for me. I would randomly boot into a black screen, get 'frozen' screen (but working mouse), get a couple of seconds of black screen in the middle of session etc. Things were even worse after sleep. Perhaps this was due to the lack of framebuffer patch?

Either way, I switched to the imac 18.3 SMBios .plist which would offer the alternative solution to the FCP problem. And this time it worked without any changes! So my guess is that maybe it would have worked the first time for me, if I had gone into BIOS and disabled/re-enabled iGPU when I tested the first time.

So currently I seem to almost have a fully functional system, except:

Media disabled after sleep - basically any app using media (spotify, quicktime, VLC player, FCP) will become unresponsive/not open. Apps like thunderbird, text edit (etc) open and close without any problems.

I have applied your "sleep and wake" terminal fix, as this was a necessity to even get back from sleep. I just tried it a second time but I still have the “media” problem. Any ideas on what to try next?
The graphics issues with the two-cable method may in fact be due to lack of a connector patch for the HDMI port. I am still scratching my head over that one -- how does that HDMI port function without a connector patch when all ports are considered to be DisplayPort?

So certainly one option is to insert the connector patch for your AORUS Elite. It's available from here:

For the headless configuration (which will disable the on-board HDMI port), there are 2 options for SMBIOS:
  • iMac18,3
  • iMacPro1,1
And two options for Platform-ID:
  • 0x3E910003
  • 0x3E920003
Device-id can remain as 0x3E9B for all permutations. But in BIOS, IGPU must be "Enabled" and Initial Display Output must be set to "PCIe Slot 1" (if RX580 is installed in slot 1).

I'd like to essentially copy this build but I want to do a retro case for my hackintosh (G4 Quicksilver) so I need a mATX sized board. But I want the Thunderbolt hotplug support -any suggestions?

(actually while I'm here I can use daisy chained displays (Apple Thunderbolt) with a thunderbolt hackintosh right? I've been reading on thunderbolt builds but I never see anyone confirm that they can chain the displays)
ASRock's Z390 Phantom Gaming-iTX/AC is a mini ITX board with on-board Thunderbolt 3 (one daisychain-able port).
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157854

I believe it's also possible now to use a larger form factor board (preferably one from Gigabyte) that has a built-in Thunderbolt Header. In that case, Gigabyte's GC-Titan Ridge add-in-card can be used. The Thunderbolt SSDT should enable hot plug for this configuration.

I still prefer motherboards with built-in Thunderbolt controllers such as the Designare Z390 and ASRock's mini ITX board for these reasons:
  • The GC-Titan Ridge card requires 2 PCI power cables.
  • Windows might be required to initialize the add-in-card's firmware.
  • Hot plug may require some tinkering, but should work.
  • GC-Titan Ridge costs about US$100.
  • If your motherboard was $150, for example, then total cost with Thunderbolt would be $250.
  • The ASRock mini ITX board is currently on sale at Newegg for $159.99.

ASRock's Z390 Phantom Gaming-iTX/AC is a mini ITX board with on-board Thunderbolt 3 (one daisychain-able port).

I believe it's also possible now to use a larger form factor board (preferably one from Gigabyte) that has a built-in Thunderbolt Header. In that case, Gigabyte's GC-Titan Ridge add-in-card can be used. The Thunderbolt SSDT should enable hot plug for this configuration.

I still prefer motherboards with built-in Thunderbolt controllers such as the Designare Z390 and ASRock's mini ITX board for these reasons:
  • If your motherboard was $150, for example, then total cost with Thunderbolt would be $250.
Thank for the suggestion I'll have a look at it but the main issue I have with miniITX is the limited RAM slots

I have the GC Titan Ridge running with a Z390 Aorus Master. I dont get the need of two pci power cables. I connected none and thunderbolt works just fine...Where actually are the use cases means the need to conmect those 2 pci cables?

For the headless configuration (which will disable the on-board HDMI port), there are 2 options for SMBIOS:
  • iMac18,3
  • iMacPro1,1
And two options for Platform-ID:
  • 0x3E910003
  • 0x3E920003
Device-id can remain as 0x3E9B for all permutations. But in BIOS, IGPU must be "Enabled" and Initial Display Output must be set to "PCIe Slot 1" (if RX580 is installed in slot 1).
I tried all 4 permutations with FCP - none worked, including the one that previously did (!). So I tried setting "Set Initial Display Output --> IGFX" and then ALL 4 permutations DID work in FCP. However the “media” freezing after sleep bug, as described here, remained:

I am including my current plist here in case you want to check it out.

Furthermore BIOS is upgraded to latest version (F7d) and settings are as suggested in your guide, except for IGFX, as mentioned.

I also tried removing the powermanagement files via terminal, and then rebooted.

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.2 KB · Views: 96
Finally Back Home... and with more time to properly testing. After the help from @kenntkim66 and @CaseySJ I have my Hackintosh 'shining' as it should without any major error, using headless configuration.

As someone mentioned here before I also find that the Custom SDDT for Vega 64 is not ideal in terms of fans performance since that fans spins higher than it should.

So decided to remove the Custom SDDT for Vega 64, and apply the custom SoftPowerPlayTable using Vgtab as explained by @jaymonkey. I think we can control much better temperatures and fan control using this custom setting. But when I apply this, name of graphics card changes from Amd Radeon Vega 64 to Radeon RX Vega 64 in 'About this Mac'

Strangely Adobe lightroom and adobe photoshop still identifies graphics card as 'Amd Radeon RX Vega 64'.

I've looked into config.plist in devices and only see 'Amd Vega 64' So I don't understand why it changes the name when I insert data form Vgtab into config.plist

Do you think this can affect performance, or is just cosmetic?

I already tried with and without SSDT-COSMETIC

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-02-14 at 14.41.08.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-14 at 14.41.08.png
    110.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot 2019-02-14 at 14.41.37.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-14 at 14.41.37.png
    262.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Screenshot 2019-02-14 at 14.42.24.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-14 at 14.42.24.png
    154.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot 2019-02-14 at 14.43.34.png