Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I would love any insight into what might be the cause of the VirtualSMC error.

When I was switching from the original guide and using fake smc and free2000 I found that I couldn't get VirtualSM working until I was running Aptio and double-checked that I only had one drivers folder.

It was during the switch in clover when they moved to /drivers/UEFI from /drivers64UEFI. There were a few times when I confused myself because I had two folders both with .efi files within.

You need to make sure you only have one copy of each .efi in the proper location according to the version of clover you're using.

So using AptioMemoryFix it is working fine with iGPU enabled for you? I have always been able to use AptioMemoryFix to boot successfully but had to keep iGPU off. I had to use OSXAptioFix-free2000 prior to my CSM discovery. My issue also revolves around bringing up the boot menu pressing F12. If I enable CSM or pull up the boot menu via F12, my computer will not boot with AptioMemoryFix and iGPU enabled. When this happens, I CAN press the clear CMOS button on the back and restore my settings in the BIOS. So when one of these two actions are taken on my board I lose iGPU functionality. What's fascinating to me is that you cannot undo them without clearing the CMOS. It's as if the memory space that is altered with either action is semi-permanent. Even after you disable CSM. Not sure if this is a bug or just the way things work. Our boards our different, I was just curious if this was a characteristic shared across Gigabyte boards.

Hmmmm… What is your memory size set to for the graphics? It is working fine for me, but I'm using 64MB and headless ID. Ironically, on my Z390 Aorus Pro I couldn't boot with anything except OSXAptioFix-Free2000 and slide=0. Turning off the IGPU made no difference.

Have you tried calculating slide values?

Hmmmm… What is your memory size set to for the graphics? It is working fine for me, but I'm using 64MB and headless ID. Ironically, on my Z390 Aorus Pro I couldn't boot with anything except OSXAptioFix-Free2000 and slide=0. Turning off the IGPU made no difference.

Have you tried calculating slide values?

Yes, I calculated a slide=0 on the F9 BIOS for my board. I keep my iGPU setting at 64mb/256mb. I wonder if the CSM/Boot menu issue I have is similar to what you experienced with your Aorus Pro. Clear the CMOS disable CSM and set the boot device within the BIOS.

Yes, I calculated a slide=0 on the F9 BIOS for my board. I keep my iGPU setting at 64mb/256mb. I wonder if the CSM/Boot menu issue I have is similar to what you experienced with your Aorus Pro. Clear the CMOS disable CSM and set the boot device within the BIOS.

So with CSM disabled, can you boot using either AptioMemoryFix or OSXAptioFix3drv? If so, can you boot with both IGPU endabled or only disabled? How much RAM do you have installed?

Have you checked this?

Yes, this is the guide I used. I did download VirtualSMC 1.0.8 instead of 1.0.6 - not sure if that was the issue.

Following up on @Rag's post, this is the new look and feel of the Designare Z390 F8 BIOS. There seem to be at least 2 new options:
  • Favorites section in which common options can be grouped (see second image).
  • Option to enable or disable the on-board WiFi module (see last image).
Caution:
  • If you had disabled MSR 0xE2 in a previous BIOS, you should enable KernelPM flag in Kext and Kernel Patches. The flag can be disabled once you disable MSR 0xE2 in the F8 BIOS.
Opening screen (can be changed): New Favorites section. Only place to change Vt-d:
Opening Screen.png Favorites - Vt-d.png
New Settings screen: Settings --> Platform Power:
Settings.png Settings - Platform Power.png
Settings --> IO Ports: Settings --> IO Ports --> Thunderbolt:
Settings-IOPorts.png Thunderbolt 1.png
Settings --> IO Ports --> Discrete Thunderbolt: Settings --> IO Ports --> USB:
Thunderbolt 2.png USB.png
System Info: Boot Screen (top half):
System Info 2.png Boot 1.png

Last edited:
Boot Screen (bottom half): Boot Screen --> Setting Opening Screen Mode:
Boot 2.png Boot - Preferred Op Mode.png
Tweaker (XMP Profile and CPU Overclock): Save and Exit:
Tweaker - XMP Profile 1.png Save and Exit 2.png
Smart Fan: Settings --> IO Ports --> WiFi Enable:
Smart Fan 1.png Settings - WiFi Enable Option copy.png
PC Health Status: SPD Info:
Settings-PCHealth-Status.png SPD Info.png

Last edited:
So with CSM disabled, can you boot using either AptioMemoryFix or OSXAptioFix3drv? If so, can you boot with both IGPU endabled or only disabled? How much RAM do you have installed?

If I clear my CMOS (One time) load all the proper values in BIOS with iGPU enabled set to 64mb/256mb I CAN boot with AptioMemoryFix or OSXAptiofix3drv. The system has been running like a champ! Not a single crash with even sleep working properly. I stopped using OSXAptiofix3drv once I discovered AptioMemoryFix was working. This was all under BIOS F9 for my board.
I just upgraded to a final release of BIOS F10. This version has also added the ability to turn off the built-in WiFi. Under this version I clear the CMOS, load the proper values (including iGPU enabled), I can even have CSM enabled. It boots fine with AptioMemoryFix. IT BREAKS if I choose the Boot Options with F12 and choose my Windows drive. I can boot to Windows without issue, but once I restart and choose my Mac drive- Allocation Error. So for me, the F10 BIOS final version is a winner!

Unlocking the MSR 0xE2 Register in BIOS F8

Fortunately, the CFG Lock register (MSR 0xE2) is located at the same VarOffset address as on F6, namely: 0x5C1. It can be disabled by setting this offset to value 0 as described in the guide located here. Just skip to the section Modifying the Firmware and follow the instructions as-is (no changes needed for F8).

Screen Shot 2019-10-27 at 5.44.50 PM.png

Last edited:
Only issue was the disk not ejected properly, but we already know about that and how RAM can't be higher than 2666 (mine is at 32000). I don't really use sleep, so don't plan to change RAM just for that :)

If my disks are connected directly to the MB io panel then I do get ejected disks after sleep. However, when using the CalDigit TB3 I don't get this. So I just leave my external disks connected to it.

I do have 3200 MHz RAM, and I will sleep and wake my machine with well over 12 hours day after day. I've gone multiple days (probably even more than a week) without doing a power down or restart. With having turned off wake based on network it just sleeps and wakes like a good little baby.

Back