Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

If I clear my CMOS (One time) load all the proper values in BIOS with iGPU enabled set to 64mb/256mb I CAN boot with AptioMemoryFix or OSXAptiofix3drv. The system has been running like a champ! Not a single crash with even sleep working properly. I stopped using OSXAptiofix3drv once I discovered AptioMemoryFix was working. This was all under BIOS F9 for my board.
I just upgraded to a final release of BIOS F10. This version has also added the ability to turn off the built-in WiFi. Under this version I clear the CMOS, load the proper values (including iGPU enabled), I can even have CSM enabled. It boots fine with AptioMemoryFix. IT BREAKS if I choose the Boot Options with F12 and choose my Windows drive. I can boot to Windows without issue, but once I restart and choose my Mac drive- Allocation Error. So for me, the F10 BIOS final version is a winner!

What happens if you boot Windows via Clover? Does it also crash on reboot?
I'm assuming you are saying that the previous BIOS work even with Windows booting and then rebooting?

Unlocking the MSR 0xE2 Register in BIOS F8

Fortunately, the CFG Lock register (MSR 0xE2) is located at the same VarOffset address as on F6, namely: 0x5C1. It can be disabled by setting this offset to value 0 as described in the guide located here. Just skip to the section Modifying the Firmware and follow the instructions as-is (no changes needed for F8).

View attachment 433108

Question, if I disable CFGLock by manually setting the variable, what would make it go back to enabled? Just a reflash/update of the firmware? Or would resetting CMOS or loading a saved profile also modify that variable?

BTW, is the classic BIOS menu still available in the new firmware (using F2 key), or was it removed? Personally I prefer that interface :)

It seems that other than the changes you mentioned, prepping for 9900ks is the only update to the F8 release, trying to decide if I should go for it or stay on F7...

So I updated to Catalina this evening and began to do the initial tests :) I noticed that my USB drives are no longer getting ejected after sleep! Can anyone else confirm or deny this behavior? I've tested various USB ports and various sleep lengths, as soon as I wake the system, the drives are there on the desktop... I checked my RAM to make sure something didn't change, and it is still at 3200MHz... I'm wondering if...
1. This is normal and things will work now?
2. I'm somehow getting lucky and this may or may not work later...
3. I'm dreaming this whole thing and will soon wake up to reality lol...

This didn't work in Mojave, as soon as I woke the system I'd get the disk not ejected properly message. Not so in Catalina.... I wonder if the new mac pro has higher speed RAM, and so the new OS is set to deal with that now?

Sorry for the back to back posts, but don't want to have multiple convos in 1 post lol...

I have 2 questions, as part of my ongoing testing:

First, does anybody have power button working? Not majorly important to me, but I did notice it isn't working (holding it down for over 2 secs should put system to sleep, or pressing ctrl power should display shutdown dialog). If it's working for you, what did you do? I tried enabling FixIPIC in clover fixes, no change... It's getting late here now, so I'll probably browse the ACPI section docs for Clover tomorrow and see if there's anything else to try...

Second question, how do I know if my USB ports are getting the full/extra current/power? System Info shows 900MA for USB3 and 500MA for USB2. I do have an EC device in IOReg, however (which is why I'm asking), in Mojave this device had a (subdevice?) in its tree, this one in Catalina is empty... Hopefully that's not why my drives are now not ejecting after sleep lol

Hi @heythisisdave and @djx8605

I have the exact same problem... My mac is freezing, screen is on but I can't move my mouse. I think we should find the common thing we have to find the solution.

My exact config is :
  • Sapphire RX 580 PULSE OC, 8GB GDDR5
  • be quiet! SILENT BASE 601
    Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE
    Intel Core i7-9700K, 3.6GHz, 12MB, BOX
  • EVGA Supernova 850GQ
  • SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 PCIe x4 NVMe (Mac OS installed)
    SSD Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA3 (Mac OS installed copy of SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB)
  • Kingston SSD 240 Go (Windows)
  • Noctua NH-U12S
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX, DDR4, 32 GB,3000MHz, CL15
Mac OS (Mojave 10.14.6) i installed on SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB. This SSD is connected on fist M2 slot. The others SSD are connected on SATA.

My Sapphire RX 580 is connected with all cables.

IMG_8165.JPG

IMG_8164.JPG

My BIOS settings are exactly the sames like the tutorial.

My clover version is 5.4.5.0 and my settings are :

Capture d’écran 2019-10-28 à 08.44.18.png

Capture d’écran 2019-10-28 à 08.44.20.png

Capture d’écran 2019-10-28 à 08.44.23.png

Capture d’écran 2019-10-28 à 08.44.27.png

Capture d’écran 2019-10-28 à 08.44.33.png

Capture d’écran 2019-10-28 à 08.44.37.png

Capture d’écran 2019-10-28 à 08.44.40.png

Capture d’écran 2019-10-28 à 08.44.54.png

And all the kext and efi :

Capture d’écran 2019-10-28 à 08.43.43.png

Capture d’écran 2019-10-28 à 08.43.53.png

Capture d’écran 2019-10-28 à 08.49.56.png

I hope we will find a solution together :)

What happens if you boot Windows via Clover? Does it also crash on reboot?
I'm assuming you are saying that the previous BIOS work even with Windows booting and then rebooting?

I have not tried booting Windows from Clover yet. I suppose I'd need to create a config.plist for that. The previous F9 BIOS had the same issue with CSM and Boot Menu. I could boot fine into windows under F9, but when I came back to Mac I would get the allocation error. I think for me to maintain dual boot Windows/Mac I'll need to go the Clover route with Windows. Or just get used to clearing the CMOS every time I go into Windows. I haven't come across anything that doesn't work on the Mac side when I have CSM disabled. BTW-I'm running with 32gb ram.

Are you able to boot your Designare with iGPU enabled WITHOUT OsxAptioFix2Drv-Free2000?

Hi @heythisisdave and @djx8605

I have the exact same problem... My mac is freezing, screen is on but I can't move my mouse. I think we should find the common thing we have to find the solution.

My exact config is :
  • Sapphire RX 580 PULSE OC, 8GB GDDR

I hope we will find a solution together :)

Make sure the 580 overclock jumper is not turned on. I spent over 2 months finding out that this was the problem.

I think I've found a way to make Aptiomemoryfix without turning off anything or changing the suggested optimal Bios settings for this build.

Yesterday spent some time with the new F8 Bios,( was a nightmare, wasn't able to boot with iGPU enabled , tried for many hours till a I gave up) so went back to Bios F6 loaded optimized default and then changed all Bios settings ( as suggested in first post again) , so all the sudden was able to boot with Aptiomemoryfix, never was able to do it before, I was using OSXAptioFix-Free2000 as most people here.

So the only major change was to reflash Bios F6 , no other changes, slide, etc

Make sure the 580 overclock jumper is not turned on. I spent over 2 months finding out that this was the problem.

I checked, the position mode is Gaming Mode not Compute Mode.

Last edited:
I think I've found a way to make Aptiomemoryfix without turning off anything or changing the suggested optimal Bios settings for this build.

Yesterday spent some time with the new F8 Bios,( was a nightmare, wasn't able to boot with iGPU enabled , tried for many hours till a I gave up) so went back to Bios F6 loaded optimized default and then changed all Bios settings ( as suggested in first post again) , so all the sudden was able to boot with Aptiomemoryfix, never was able to do it before, I was using OSXAptioFix-Free2000 as most people here.

So the only major change was to reflash Bios F6 , no other changes, slide, etc

I wonder if it's because you haven't touched CSM or Boot Menu? That's how I stumbled upon it. Maybe try flashing to F8 without enabling CSM or using Boot Menu?

Back