Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

1-When I enable XMP profile 1, it starts directly in macOs skips the bios I can't access the bios.
I turn off the computer and unplug it and when I turn it on again I get the bios but if I access the bios I get an error and I have to reconfigure it.
Today instead of XMP profile 1 I have set 4400+. I have renounced it and now the ram is at 3200 mhz,
But it skips the bios and opens directly with macOS.
I have disassembled the ram memory to remove static charge "electricity" but it remains the same.
2- macOs shows slow speed.
3- in windows shows slow speed, if I upload the speed in the Bios, it does not allow me to access the bios.
4- 2133 MHz appears on Windows, I will try to increase the memory speed in the Bios without configuring it for Hackintosh to see what happens
5- I don't have another computer at the moment but I can try it on a friend's.
6- when I try it I tell you.
Greetings
Luisan

1-When I enable XMP profile 1, it starts directly in macOs skips the bios I can't access the bios.
I turn off the computer and unplug it and when I turn it on again I get the bios but if I access the bios I get an error and I have to reconfigure it.
Today instead of XMP profile 1 I have set 4400+. I have renounced it and now the ram is at 3200 mhz,
But it skips the bios and opens directly with macOS.
I have disassembled the ram memory to remove static charge "electricity" but it remains the same.
2- macOs shows slow speed.
3- in windows shows slow speed, if I upload the speed in the Bios, it does not allow me to access the bios.
4- 2133 MHz appears on Windows, I will try to increase the memory speed in the Bios without configuring it for Hackintosh to see what happens
5- I don't have another computer at the moment but I can try it on a friend's.
6- when I try it I tell you.
Greetings
Luisan
Because your TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZ also appears as 2133 MHz in Windows, I think you can ask for official support from either G.Skill or Gigabyte. However:
  • Please check that no overclocking of any kind has been performed in BIOS.
  • Only enable XMP Profile 1 in the M.I.T. section. Do not change any other settings here.
  • If BIOS shows 3200 MHz, but it drops back to 2133 MHz after you Save & Exit, then there might be a more serious problem.
    • Try installing only 1 DIMM.
    • Make sure that your Power Supply is at least 650W, but preferably 750W.
    • Make sure that an 8-pin CPU power cable is plugged into the connector marked ATX_12V_4X2 at the top left of the motherboard.
  • If you have other DDR4 memory modules that are also XMP certified, try those.

We have disabled USB 2 protocol on all of the USB-C ports, so only USB 3 devices will connect. To check this, download and run IORegistryExplorer then scroll the device tree on left side to XHC and XHC5. If the Luna device does not appear in any of the ports, then it may be because the device or the cable is USB 2 only.

1st of all, @CaseySJ, thank you so much to put so much effort to make this hackintosh. Without your step-by-step guideline, I wouldn't make my hackintosh work.

Question: Is there any way to disable some the USB 2.0 ports,HS09,HS10, HS11 and HS12, so I can enable the front HS01/SS01 Type-C port?

I don't mind sacrificing some USB 2.0 ports to make the front panel Type-C port work.

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ,

Thanks for the quick reply and all your contributions to the community.

After performing the soft CMOS reset, my BIOS are still at version F6 and I'm still getting the same alert message, RE:

Cannot Use Thunderbolt Accessory: Thunderbolt accessories are not supported on this Mac

Again, pre-Catalina upgrade, everything was working swimmingly.

See my updated avatar for my system specs and the attached output from IORegistryExplorer.

Attachments

• Hackintosh-IORegistry-TB3-Trouble.ioreg
    30.8 MB · Views: 85
1st of all, @CaseySJ, thank you so much to put so much effort to make this hackintosh. Without your step-by-step guideline, I wouldn't make my hackintosh work.

Question: Is there any way to disable some the USB 2.0 ports,HS09,HS10, HS11 and HS12, so I can enable the front HS01/SS01 Type-C port?

I don't mind sacrificing some USB 2.0 ports to make the front panel Type-C port work.
That's the spirit! Please have a look at the following diagrams and let me know:
  1. Which HS ports to disable
  2. Which SS ports to enable
The counts of #1 and #2 must be the same.

Designer Rear IO Layer v3_resize.png
All motherboard USB ports_resize-2.png

Hi @CaseySJ,

Thanks for the quick reply and all your contributions to the community.

After performing the soft CMOS reset, my BIOS are still at version F6 and I'm still getting the same alert message, RE:

Cannot Use Thunderbolt Accessory: Thunderbolt accessories are not supported on this Mac

Again, pre-Catalina upgrade, everything was working swimmingly.

See my updated avatar for my system specs and the attached output from IORegistryExplorer.
According to IOReg, Thunderbolt is turned on, but the Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT is not active because those device names in red boxes are not correct.

Please mount the EFI partition of your Catalina SSD and post a screenshot of the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 3.55.59 PM.png

@CaseySJ currently on build 19A583 never had a problem updating till now. it trys to install goes into the regular process but bar just reaches 1/4 and then reboots back to selected boot up volume drive..
Will do a full backup of one of my Catalina system and attempt this update later this evening.

Next:
I will wait for the answers for the above, but after I plan to do a full reinstall of mojave with all the latest versions of everything. I do have a bootable backup but I never got the system to be stable and I think I may have messed something early on. I will make a bootable backup of mojave if I can get it stable, I will then upgrade to catalina, test, and if succesful make a final bootable backup of catalina.

Off topic:
I don't want this hardware to go to waste but if I can't get it to at least be reliable for two days I guess I will get a used trashcan mac pro or something. iMac pro would be nice but I don't want to have a display on the computer.

Hey @mrl4214

Since I have the same hardware as you (it looks like it), you can try my EFI folder. I'm running iGPU disabled and I run 19,1. My system is super stable and I've not had any issues since switching to AptioMemoryFix-64.efi.

You'll need to populate MLB in Rt Variables and Board Serial Number and Serial Number in SMBIOS. I'm also using shiki settings in Boot to enable Quick Look for jpegs, but this disables DRM playback for sites like Netflix I think. Since this is a productivity machine I don't use it to watch Netflix. I've got an iPad for that. ;)

Attachments

• EFI_digumo.zip
    17.5 MB · Views: 73
@CaseySJ See screenshot below.

After looking into this a bit more, it seems like there are other issues going on. I'm still booting from the USB drive, but that drive is not showing from Disk Utility/Clover/Finder. Other USB devices (keyboard + mouse) are working fine, and when I plug in an additional thumb drive it displays as I would expect in Disk Utility/Clover/Finder. I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, just thought I should mention it.

1571182175305.png

Back