Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Have you also tried resetting the Bluetooth module?

My startup times under Mojave and Catalina are about the same. Which part of the boot sequence is longer now?
  • Time from power-up to appearance of Gigabyte BIOS splash screen?
  • Time from Gigabyte splash screen to Clover Boot Menu?
  • Time from Clover Boot Menu to macOS Login window?
Thank's I'll try that, and see if it clears.
As far as the slow boot is concerned, it's between the Clover boot menu and log in.

• I expect to build a new Hackintosh using 10th Gen components, but 10th Gen desktop processors are not expected until about March or April of 2020.
Just saw this:
Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 12.28.46 PM.png

It's just a rumor, but if true, it might mean that the new Ice Lake desktop processors (or perhaps their successor) may not arrive until 2022. But when they do, they will be at 7nm. Intel may continue to evolve the existing Skylake family until then or even port all or parts of Ice Lake to 14nm.

From Wikipedia:

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 12.37.11 PM.png

Hi All--

Just got done with the Catalina upgrade. I was able to go through the upgrade process itself without any issues, but something has gone awry in terms of TB3 support. When I plug in a TB3 device, the system still recognizes it, but I get the following system alert:

Cannot Use Thunderbolt Accessory: Thunderbolt accessories are not supported on this Mac

Prior to the upgrade, TB3 was working great. I double checked my bios settings and setting under Peripherals --> Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration --> Security Level somehow got changed from No Security to User, but even after reverting this back to No Security, I'm still having issues.

Any advice/direction would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I'm new to both Hackintoshing + the general MacOS ecosystem. Under the section for creating a bootable backup, the guide states:

Catalina Users: Please do NOT follow this guide yet. It is not compatible with Catalina and may cause loss of data.

What is the recommended approach for creating a bootable backup for Catalina?

Issues currently:
1. Sleep now crashes the computer within the first or second sleep. The first time I test sleep it sometimes works and shuts off hardware and wakes up correctly. Sometimes I will sleep the computer and it will wake right back up to the login screen, where the login screen either works or hangs and won't respond to input.

2. It also has hung multiple times when just navigating around the interface without anything graphical (no chrome either).

3. I still have system resets on heaven ultra, but can't reproduce on windows so it must be something to do with power /heat management in software.
Questions:
1. Do we have a current config.plist with all the check boxes marked correctly? We have the same hardware other then my RX VII. In your screenshots you have some lines for rules that are not discussed in the instructions

2. In regards to Lilu, Whatevergreen, etc should I be putting these in the clover EFI or L/E? (OR both? I ask only if these things were changed in Catalina)

3. When I upgraded clover it did not auto create the new drivers folder structure, and I think reset many of the files I installed to get my hackintosh to work. Should I not upgrade using clover configurator?
Let me audit your configuration instead. Can you post the following:
  • Compressed copy of your CLOVER folder. You may remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist.
  • Screenshot of the /Library/Extensions folder.
  • IOReg file. Just download and run IORegistryExplorer then select File --> Save As... and upload that file.
Next:
I will wait for the answers for the above, but after I plan to do a full reinstall of mojave with all the latest versions of everything. I do have a bootable backup but I never got the system to be stable and I think I may have messed something early on. I will make a bootable backup of mojave if I can get it stable, I will then upgrade to catalina, test, and if succesful make a final bootable backup of catalina.
A fresh installation can be a good idea when all else fails. But all else has not yet failed! :)

Off topic:
I don't want this hardware to go to waste but if I can't get it to at least be reliable for two days I guess I will get a used trashcan mac pro or something. iMac pro would be nice but I don't want to have a display on the computer.
Most of us are running this hardware with extremely high reliability so there is hope for your system!

Hi All--

Just got done with the Catalina upgrade. I was able to go through the upgrade process itself without any issues, but something has gone awry in terms of TB3 support. When I plug in a TB3 device, the system still recognizes it, but I get the following system alert:

Cannot Use Thunderbolt Accessory: Thunderbolt accessories are not supported on this Mac

Prior to the upgrade, TB3 was working great. I double checked my bios settings and setting under Peripherals --> Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration --> Security Level somehow got changed from No Security to User, but even after reverting this back to No Security, I'm still having issues.

Any advice/direction would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I'm new to both Hackintoshing + the general MacOS ecosystem. Under the section for creating a bootable backup, the guide states:

Catalina Users: Please do NOT follow this guide yet. It is not compatible with Catalina and may cause loss of data.

What is the recommended approach for creating a bootable backup for Catalina?
Hello @ohHenry,

Please enter your Motherboard, CPU, and Graphics information by clicking here. This info will appear under your avatar and it is required when asking for help.

Some suggestions:
  • First, power down the system and remove power cable for 10 seconds to perform a soft CMOS reset.
  • Next, make sure your BIOS has not instantly flashed back to F3. If Thunderbolt settings were changed, it might mean that the entire BIOS may have flashed back.
  • If so, flash the BIOS to at least F6 and configure all BIOS parameters once again, but always start with Save & Exit --> Load Optimized Defaults.
  • Disconnect and reconnect the Thunderbolt cable from the back of the motherboard.
  • Also download and run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As.... Then upload that file.
Regarding Bootable Backups in Catalina:
  • My revised EFIClone-v3 script is nearly ready. I've been testing it on my two Catalina Hackintoshes and expect to release it within a day or two.
  • Meanwhile, you can always run latest version of Carbon Copy Cloner without any script. Then mount the EFI partitions of the source and destination drives and manually copy the entire EFI folder from the source to the destination. Just use drag-and-drop in Finder.

Thank's I'll try that, and see if it clears.
As far as the slow boot is concerned, it's between the Clover boot menu and log in.
In that case enable Verbose mode during boot. No need to change config.plist. Instead, at the Clover Boot Menu, press spacebar then move down to Verbose and press spacebar once to turn it on. Then boot Mojave and perhaps grab a video with your smartphone. There will be a barrage of log messages that might help narrow this down.

Depending on combination of SMBIOS and Platform ID, NoVPAJPeg should not be needed if Lilu/WEG are used. For example:
  • iMacPro1,1 with IGFX disabled and no Platform ID
  • iMac19,1 with IGFX enabled and Platform ID 0x3E980003 (headless)
  • A few other combinations are also okay

In general, 10.13 and 10.14 should have their own EFI setups on their own EFI partitions. Primary reason being that newer Mac models such as iMac19,1 are not supported on 10.13 and earlier. So a 10.13 EFI will specify a different SMBIOS with a different serial number.

Yes!
Thanks CaseySJ, sorry for asking such a simple question. I was just thrown by all drives suddenly failing to boot... Anyway seems that AptioMemoryFix was the issue. I'll re-enable IGFX and see if 10.14 is giving me jepg preview now that the machine seems stable again.

I plan on sticking with iMac 18,3 with the same serial and SMBIOS. Performance in Logic with 19,1 and 10.14 was identical to 18,3 on both OS's. Plus re-authorizing 100+ plugins isn't a fun time...

Any chance you could just let me know if any of those boot arguments look redundant? That should be it since things seems stable otherwise... Either way thank you again for all of your help. Really is appreciated... Cheers.

Any chance you could just let me know if any of those boot arguments look redundant? That should be it since things seems stable otherwise...
Sure -- those boot arguments are fine, but the following can be removed:
  • -v
  • -no_compat_check

macos catalina supplemental update 10.15 wont update after successful download. after clicking restart it just goes to try to install the package update with the progress bar moving very slowly at 1/4 the way it reboots and selected the regular boot volume and nothing takes effect or nothing changes. is it me or others having the same occurrence?
i'm running a successful hackintosh with the z390 motherboard and i9 chip. this could mean that z390 motherboards may not support future updates like 10.15.1 this is suppose to fix the memory leak access that a google team discovered..
View attachment 430799View attachment 430800
What build ID do you see in About this Mac --> System Information? The original 10.15 build ID is: 19A583.

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 2.10.11 PM.png

EDIT: After the 10.15 Supplemental Update, Build ID becomes 19A602:

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 2.55.41 PM.png

Last edited:
Back