Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

That's just my guess but I've heard that it works over on the hackintosh subreddit with iMacPro1,1 and MacPro7,1 so idk... Can someone with a SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 with iGPU disabled confirm if sidecar works or not?

Unfortunately I don't have an iPad to test, but I was wondering if those who have issues with Sidecar have DRM issues as well? Because some here do and some don't. A quick test I did awhile back looked like I had no DRM issues.

Hi again.
I'm running Clover 4960, and I'm wondering if I should update it before upgrading to Catalina?
My issue is... I can't find a step by step guide on updating the Clover boot loader.

I'm afraid that one move in the wrong direction will jeopardize my perfect installation!

@CaseySJ I think I remember you posting a how-to but cannot find it.
Any chance you can point me in the right direction?

Huge thanks as always
Make a full bootable backup before updating Clover.

Please see this post for a quick guide. This is for Clover 4xxx, but the procedure is very similar for Clover 5xxx.

If you're currently running Clover 4xxx, then updating to Clover 5xxx will do this:
  • It will create a new CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder.
  • It will install EFI drivers into this folder.
  • It will keep the old CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder intact.
After Clover has been updated, we need to do this manually:
  • Copy all EFI files from the old CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder to the new CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder.
  • Then delete or rename or move out the older drivers64UEFI folder.
  • Open the new CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder and make sure that only 1 memory fix driver is installed. For example:
    • If you use OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi then make sure no other memory driver is present such as:
      • OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi
      • OsxAptioFx2Drv.efi
      • OsxAptioFix.efi
      • AptioMemoryFix.efi
    • If you use AptioMemoryFix.efi then make sure none of these is installed:
      • OsxAptioFix2Drv-free200.efi
      • OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi
      • OsxAptioFx2Drv.efi
      • OsxAptioFix.efi
The latest build of Clover can be downloaded from here.

Last edited:
Hi CaseySJ, I would like to ask if you in mind to make an installation guide, when you have time, for Designare Z390 users for new macOS Catalina?
@CaseySJ, could you make as this or anithing, but as clear
mojave
--------
catallina
Please see this:

*** SideCar SideDiscussion ***

• On my system, SideCar fails with SMBIOS Mac mini 8,1. The late 2018 Mac mini has a T2 chip.
    • I'll change the SMBIOS to iMac19,1 and try again.
  • I also have an Asus X99 system without iGPU set up as iMacPro 1,1. The real iMacPro 1,1 has a T2 chip.
Meanwhile, for everyone that has upgraded to Catalina and has a compatible iPad:
  • Does SideCar work? If so, what SMBIOS?
  • Does SideCar fail? Is so, what SMBIOS?

Survey Results:

User URL SMBIOS Has T2? Motherboard Result
@ummario link iMac 18,3 No AORUS Xtreme Success
@NicoDiePlume link iMac 19,1 No Designare Z390 Success
@NicoDiePlume link iMac 18,3 No Designare Z390 Success
@mcnb link iMac 19,1 No Designare Z390 Success
@SuperBug18 link iMac 19,1 No Designare Z390 Success
@khaoskosmos link iMac 19,1 No Designare Z390 Success
@CaseySJ link iMac 19,1 No Designare Z390 Success
@CaseySJ link Mac mini 8,1 Yes Designare Z390 Failure
@CaseySJ link iMacPro 1,1 Yes ASRock Taichi Failure
@Gompy link iMacPro 1,1 Yes Designare Z390 Failure
@svandive link iMacPro 1,1 Yes Designare Z390 Failure

Edit 1: There's a clear pattern here!
Edit 2: Conclusion: Switching to a non-T2 SMBIOS allows SideCar to work.

Last edited:
It's okay to install both Windows and macOS on this system. But when we boot back into macOS it might be a good idea to do a cold start only when you encounter Windows Weirdness. The only Windows Weirdness I've personally seen is disconnection of my Thunderbolt devices when I warm boot back into macOS. Unplugging and replugging my Thunderbolt device usually fixes the problem.

I can also attest to occasionally losing TB ports when doing a warm reboot and switching back to Mac from Windows. It doesn't happen always, but sometimes. I can also mention that I had installed the OSes in reverse too. I'm currently running Windows in the lower NVMe and Mac in the upper. I've been too lazy to open up the box again.

An issue I had was after initially installing Windows. The Windows Boot Manager was set as the default boot disk and I'll be damned if that thing didn't want to let me back into the BIOS. I had a heck of a time catching it on boot and then switching back to Clover. But I did eventually get both OSes working and now I've got that wonderful dual boot feeling. Of course, that's possibly why I had the problem, because I didn't have the drive switched.

Which, by the way, if you use OBS, it's much more optimized in the Windows side of things. I use OBS on both mac and win, but some stuff is just way better on Windows.

• On my system, SideCar fails with SMBIOS Mac mini 8,1. The late 2018 Mac mini has a T2 chip.
  • I also have an Asus X99 system without iGPU set up as iMacPro 1,1. The real iMacPro 1,1 has a T2 chip.
    • If the Hackintosh ****** indicates that SideCar works on an iMacPro1,1 Hackintosh, I'll find out soon enough.
Meanwhile, for everyone that has upgraded to Catalina and has a compatible iPad:

Some early results:

@ummario (link) --> iMac18,3 (no T2) on Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Xtreme --> SideCar works.
@NicoDiePlume (link) --> [unknown SMBIOS] on Gigabyte Designare Z390 --> SideCar works.
@CaseySJ --> Macmini8,1 (has T2) on Gigabyte Designare Z390 --> SideCar fails.

iMacPro1,1 on Gigabyte Designare Z390 --> SideCar fails.

That's just my guess but I've heard that it works over on the hackintosh subreddit with iMacPro1,1 and MacPro7,1 so idk... Can someone with a SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 with iGPU disabled confirm if sidecar works or not?
I use SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 and it's not working for me. Black Screen...

• If the Hackintosh ****** indicates that SideCar works on an iMacPro1,1 Hackintosh, I'll find out soon enough.

Some early results:

@ummario (link) --> iMac18,3 (no T2) on Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Xtreme --> SideCar works.
@NicoDiePlume (link) --> [unknown SMBIOS] on Gigabyte Designare Z390 --> SideCar works.
@svandive SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 --> Fail

Some early results:

@svandive (link) —> iMacPro 1,1 (has T2) on Gigabyte Designare Z390 —> fails.

@CaseySJ I tested it with SMBIOS iMac18,3 and now I´m on iMac19,1. With both of these and iGPU enabled, SideCar works fine with my 6. Generation iPad.

Back