Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Apologies in advance for the long post but I've run out of curse words!
Anyway any help is greatly appreciated and apologies again to anyone sifting through this but I’m stumped...
(Pics available of errors if that helps…)
Sorry to hear you've run out of curse words. When that happens to me I usually find a whole bunch more in another language! :)

Ok, joking aside let's try this:
  • Reboot and press F12 to bring up the BIOS Boot Menu.
  • Do you see a boot option for your 10.13 drive?
    • If so, select it and see whether High Sierra is still bootable.
  • If 10.13 is good, then do this:
    • Shutdown the system and flip power switch on PSU to OFF.
      • Standby power is always flowing to the motherboard.
      • The only way to stop it is to unplug from the wall or flip switch on PSU.
      • Always do this because upon restart, the firmware does an exhaustive search for new or changed hardware.
    • Physically remove or disconnect the High Sierra SSD.
      • It's the only way to keep it safe.
    • Now reinstall Mojave on the clone disk. Boot from the USB install disk, making sure to press F12 at BIOS splash screen to select USB.
    • Do not choose any FileVaultoptions this time. Just go through the process slowly.
      • Use the latest UniBeast to build the USB Install Disk.
    • If you run into any weirdness, check the Clover version (this is displayed on screen before the Clover Boot Menu appears).
      • If it's less than 4961, upgrade Clover on the USB Install Disk before starting macOS installation.
      • Click here to download Clover 4961.

@CaseySJ
Hello
I have not installed W10 and I will not do it until I finish making the settings with the Hackintosh.W10 is not a priority for me.So I have no EFI / Windows partition. The computer starts from CLOVER but I have to choose my startup mode "Start to Hackintosh"
When preparing the Bootable USB drive, in Clover configurator, I did not have the entire window as in the description. It misses a part when I have to make the choices:
"fixheaders" does not appear. See photos
I just managed to go to the Bios menu. Do I have to redo everything as in the beginning?
Thank you
Clover Config.png
it's mine

CC2 - ACPI-1_resize.png
it's yours

@CaseySJ
Hello
I have not installed W10 and I will not do it until I finish making the settings with the Hackintosh.W10 is not a priority for me.So I have no EFI / Windows partition. The computer starts from CLOVER but I have to choose my startup mode "Start to Hackintosh"
When preparing the Bootable USB drive, in Clover configurator, I did not have the entire window as in the description. It misses a part when I have to make the choices:
"fixheaders" does not appear. See photos
I just managed to go to the Bios menu. Do I have to redo everything as in the beginning?
Thank you
View attachment 428854it's mine

View attachment 428855it's yours
There are a few different builds of Clover Configurator on the internet. Please download it from here:

Last edited:
Later today I can test my iPad mini and iPad Pro on a number of USB ports and check the “Extra Operating Current”. My original test (earlier this year) did show an extra operating current, but that was with an earlier release of Mojave.
@DJEarthworm

With 10.14.6 Supplemental Update 1:

iPad mini 4: (Connected via Apple Lightning to USB-A cable)
  • USB 2.0 (480 Mb/sec)
  • Current Required: 500 mA
  • Extra Operating Current 1600 mA
Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 9.01.38 AM.png

iPad Pro 11-Inch: (connected via Amazon Basics USB-C to USB-A cable with USB 3 support)
  • USB 3.0 (5 Gb/sec)
  • Current Required: 896 mA
  • Extra Operating Current 1200 mA
Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 9.08.53 AM.png

Last edited:
@DJEarthworm

With 10.14.6 Supplemental Update 1:

iPad mini 4: (Connected via Apple Lightning to USB-A cable)
  • USB 2.0 (480 Mb/sec)
  • Current Required: 500 mA
  • Extra Operating Current 1600 mA
View attachment 428860

iPad Pro 10.5: (connected via Amazon Basics USB-C to USB-A cable with USB 3 support)
  • USB 3.0 (5 Gb/sec)
  • Current Required: 896 mA
  • Extra Operating Current 1200 mA
View attachment 428861
Interesting. Clearly I have something messed up. I’ll tinker and see. Is there anything in config.plist related to high current needed? I reinstalled without using Multi, as Vanilla worked fine.

Interesting. Clearly I have something messed up. I’ll tinker and see. Is there anything in config.plist related to high current needed? I reinstalled without using Multi, as Vanilla worked fine.
I should mention that I used the front panel USB 3 (Type A) ports on my Phanteks Evolv X. The only pertinent config.plist settings I can think of are:
  • Devices --> USB --> Inject --> check on
  • Devices --> USB --> FixOwnership --> check on
  • Devices --> USB --> HighCurrent --> try checking on

I should mention that I used the front panel USB 3 (Type A) ports on my Phanteks Evolv X. The only pertinent config.plist settings I can think of are:
  • Devices --> USB --> Inject --> check on
  • Devices --> USB --> FixOwnership --> check on
  • Devices --> USB --> HighCurrent --> try checking on

I’ll take a look. By chance, are you still using FakeSMC? I’m on VirtualSMC.

Today, I decided to hook up a 2nd monitor to my RX 580. Since the HDMI port was taken, I used a DVI->HDMI cable for this other monitor. Unfortunately, when I boot into Mojave, there's a purple/yellowish tint - not purple lines (which I've seen people report in this thread), but an entire color shift towards purple/yellow. This is just on the monitor attached to the DVI port (the first one connected via HDMI is fine).

I saw resXtreme mentioned in another thread, and tried playing around with that - but couldn't find a setting that works for this display. Any ideas?

Also - when I boot to Windows, everything is good - but that might be because I have newest AMD drivers and companion software installed there.

One other item of note - both displays are old LG 720p TVs, which are going to be replaced, once I settle on what to get... :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 3.59.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 3.59.42 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
This system certainly uses PCI0.RP21 for Thunderbolt, so that is the correct path. However, if you examine the DSDT.aml and search for device RP21, do you see any sub-devices under it such as PXSX?

The UUID in the screenshot does not have to be copied into the Thunderbolt SSDT.

Okay, thanks. I closed the sub-device window just to focus on my screen capture. Thanks a lot! This fixed it. I thought the UUID in the patch might be specific to the card/device for hotplug, but never mentioned in the guides.

Back