Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I've been running this build with a 9900k since May. Thought I'd post some more peripherals confirmed to work...

Universal Audio Devices UAD Octo PCIe.

Metric Halo ULN-2 3D (Connected via USB-c. Ethernet audio driver had issues however this is related to Metric Halo still being in beta with 3D drivers...)

Dangerous Music D-Box + (USB 3+ not TB. No drivers needed, supported by core-audio OOTB.)

Highpoint SSD7101A-1 NVMe m.2 RAID Controller (3 of the 4 NMVe slots populated. Working flawlessly since day one.)

I've been running MH ULN-8/3d and MH ULN-2/3D via ethernet without issues since May, with several successive beta driver/console versions. USB has lower latency, but ethernet works fine. Drivers also worked with my previous Z170X system, with usb to ethernet and tb to ethernet adapters.

My first suggestion would be to boot from your bootable backup disk for a couple of days to check for system stability. If that system is stable then we can try to determine what might have happened to the main boot disk.

Is there any logs file that I could share with you when I have freezes ? It's really difficulte to determinate the issue.

I did as you said, for now it's working again.
Another thing, I saw that the motherboard bios could be updated to F7 version, did you do this update on your side?

I noticed my systems audio outputs were not working or available. I decided to put the Apple ALC kext in my clover/other folder. That fixed it. This brings me to my question.

Some kexts are in Library/Extensions AND Clover/Other locations. What determines which ones are in either or both location? My Apple ALC kext was in L/E and wasn't working until I added it to my clover.

As always, thank you so much for the help. I've had a hackintosh since snow leopard and haven't really known all that much about how it works. This guide has taught me more in months than I've known in years! Greatly appreciate everything!

Spoke too soon last page! I tried updating my backup clone to 10.14 and now the 10.13 volume won't boot :/
Apologies in advance for the long post but I've run out of curse words!

I’ve had a separate internal clone drive inside the machine as the guide suggested... Everything has been solid since May, stable build with 10.13.6. Performance has been great...

I decided to update the cloned drive to Mojave. I left the 10.13 drive and its EFI folder exactly as is, which seemed like it shouldn’t mess with anything if the 10.14 install didn’t work…

I installed Mojave on the clone and it seemed to be going normally aside from having to arrow over to the “install macos” volume manually. The installer looked like it was about to finish.. On the final restart it hung. Eventually the screen turned off, I patiently waited a good 5 minutes before deciding to force shut down since the install sounds a little erratic..

After force shut down I restarted and saw two extra volumes, “preebooter from preboot” and “filevault prebooter from preboot”. I figured it might be a hiccup so arrowed over the ‘prebooter from preeboot’. Pretty much right away I go a short list of messages that ended in:
Error!!! Load prelinked kernel with status 0x8000000000000000e. Error loading kernel cache (0xe)

Waited a few minutes, nothing… Force restarted, figured might as well try the ‘filevault prebooter’. (Looking back maybe I should have left it alone? :/ ) Weirdly though it took me to the setup screen, had me set up analytics, got the ‘setting up your mac’ message and I was on my desktop… Seemed like a quirky but successful install...

Flash forward a little more and I shut down and reboot to check shut down works. On restart I noticed the prebooter volumes were still showing in Clover and thought that was kind of odd but figured I’d see what happened if I booted from the after drive to see if that would complete the install…

It worked so I went through the post install, updated the kexts and installed with hackintool, tried a few tweaks I found in the thread… Things seemed normal… Restarted but still saw those “prebooters” so Selected Mojave and no go. The message returned was: Connection attempt to UDP …. (string of addresses) from 2001:558:feed:1::53.

After that there I get timeout messages and the machine won’t boot…Tried several times and the same thing happens every time: busy timeout[0], (60s): 'AppleACPICPU'.

Here’s the kicker though. I figured 10.13 would be fine but the same thing happens… The volume now times out with essentially the same message even though I left the drive and EFI as is... Seems like it's linked to the ‘prebooter’ voumes because I cleared CMOS, reloaded my BIOS but those prebooter volumes are still there, and won't go way after a bunch of restarts.

Has anyone experienced or seen this before?

And any chance the “prebooter” volumes are confusing clover, and wiping the 10.14 disk might get the 10.13 volume back to a state where it's booting again?

Anyway any help is greatly appreciated and apologies again to anyone sifting through this but I’m stumped...
(Pics available of errors if that helps…)

@CaseySJ
Hello.
In the EFI partition there is the folder CLOVER As well as the elements which were used for the installation of Mojave. It is possible that elements are not installed during the installation. Is it possible to make a post- installation now that the system is working itself?
@CaseySJ
Hello
I did a CMOS and nothing happens by pressing F8. I tried with DEL and other functions. Only F9 and F12 work.
Maybe there was a problem during the post installation. I do not know.:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Thanks for your help.

View attachment 428817
I keep mixing up the function keys! You are right -- it is F12 for Boot Menu on Designare. The screenshot shows that there is no WINDOWS folder, which is good.
  • Are there any other EFI partitions on any other disks in the system?
    • If so, do they have an EFI/WINDOWS folder?
  • If there are no other EFI partition or none of them has a WINDOWS folder, then the computer should boot into Clover every time.
    • Does this happen?
    • And do you see boot options for both macOS and Windows?
  • If the Clover Boot Menu does not appear, please let me know.

Gahhh! It must have been a typo. Please see attachment of the i/o result sans the TB SSDT:

View attachment 428830
This system certainly uses PCI0.RP21 for Thunderbolt, so that is the correct path. However, if you examine the DSDT.aml and search for device RP21, do you see any sub-devices under it such as PXSX?

The UUID in the screenshot does not have to be copied into the Thunderbolt SSDT.

Is there any logs file that I could share with you when I have freezes ? It's really difficulte to determinate the issue.
I've given similar advice previously in this thread (see this for example), so it's worth stating once again:

Random crashes or freezes are among the hardest to solve, but there is something we can do. Log files don't really help. Instead, we carry out a process of elimination:
  1. On the existing (unstable) system, disconnect all third party Thunderbolt and USB devices exceptkeyboard and mouse.
    • Reboot and check for system stability.
    • If still unstable, look for any pattern. Does the system always crash:
      • In Safari or a web browser?
      • While playing a YouTube video?
      • While performing any other specific task?
    • In other words, is the crash truly random or is it more statistically likely to happen when a particular activity is taking place?
    • If this does not help, go to Step 2.
  2. Boot from a bootable backup disk that was created before the sleep problem began. Do random crashes or freezes occur?
    • If there is no bootable backup disk, or the backup disk suffers from the same crashes, then go to next Step 3.
    • If random crashes/freezes do not occur when booting from backup disk, then it's matter of determining what changed on the main disk.
      • If we cannot easily determine what changed, then we can simply restore from the backup disk, make sure the system is stable, then install any missing applications.
      • The backup disk should not be updated or changed in any way until the main system is confirmed to be stable.
  3. Reinstall macOS on a spare 128GB or 256GB SSD. We can use SATA SSD (very cheap) and place them into an external USB 3.0 enclosure such as this one.
    • This creates a new baseline with no third-party software or hardware. Test the system over a period of time to ensure it remains stable.
    • If new install is stable, then install one third-party app at a time and test for stability.
    • If not stable, stop.
    • If stable, install the next app and then the next device.
    • Eventually you'll have a system this is either (a) stable with all apps and devices installed, or (b) unstable, but offending app/device identified.

I did as you said, for now it's working again.
Another thing, I saw that the motherboard bios could be updated to F7 version, did you do this update on your side?
I have not updated to F7 because I suspect it might reduce CPU performance slightly because of the fixes made for side channel attacks. F6 has been working very well for me.

I noticed my systems audio outputs were not working or available. I decided to put the Apple ALC kext in my clover/other folder. That fixed it. This brings me to my question.

Some kexts are in Library/Extensions AND Clover/Other locations. What determines which ones are in either or both location? My Apple ALC kext was in L/E and wasn't working until I added it to my clover.

As always, thank you so much for the help. I've had a hackintosh since snow leopard and haven't really known all that much about how it works. This guide has taught me more in months than I've known in years! Greatly appreciate everything!
Apple's official guidelines for third-party kexts state that they should be installed in /Library/Extensions. @jaymonkey provides a thorough discussion here. I think you will find that article very informative.

By the way, I don't have AppleALC in my Clover kexts folder and audio works well. In your instance, the root cause may be something else.

Back