Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thanks for checking it out! If you look two post further, I have found out that there was not Memtest problem showing up on my backup. So, probably FakeSMC replacement with VirtualSMC or some of the other modifications of "going the extra mile" has caused it.
Would you share your full settings, including Clover? Did you set up iMac Pro or iMac 19,1?

I'm using VirtualSMC and iMac Pro. I don't have access to the machine at the moment but can dump my EFI folder later.

Just a quick note to say I followed the guide and everything worked, EVEN Thunderbolt 3 with an Appole Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter plugged into a Sonnet Twin 2G (dual 10GBe adapters) and daisy chained to my Lacie 4TB external drive. Brilliant. THANKS CaseySJ !!!!

I searched a lot about this monitor and It's actually the first time I hear about this issue. Time will tell though. I will keep you updated.

I think it's like everything - I read stories from the 6 people who say they're unsatisfied, while never hearing from the 600,000 who are very happy! That said, here are a couple things to look for:

And my apologies @CaseySJ if I'm derailing the thread - but I hope this is related enough to the overall conversation, since this is a fantastic LG monitor that (arguably) rivals the Apple/LG 5K Ultrafine displays without having to worry about the Thunderbolt / Alpine Ridge hack (I think!).

Please post IOReg file again. I'd like to examine the new device tree under PEG1. Do you have any Thunderbolt 3 devices other than monitor?
the experimentation and troubleshooting to get the seagate TB1 HD dock to work with the Alpine Ridge AIC has been a long process.

netting it out (realizing this is a sample size of 1): it appears that the AIC and TB dock needs to be set up in windows. I downloaded the driver and firmware updater for the AR from gigabyte's website. I ran the driver, then the firmware updater. it took a couple of iterations to get windows 10 to recognize the dock. when I clicked on the "up carat" symbol at the right of the win 10 dock and then clicked on the "remove device" icon, the AR is called "base system device". when the FW update kicked in, there also appears a thunderbolt icon which when clicked on showed that the TB dock was present.

then I did a restart into Mojave. the HD that was mounted in the dock appeared on the sidebar in a finder window, and was able to access the files on the drive. I did a restart and the HD reappeared. then I tried a shutdown and cold startup. sometimes the HD was there, sometimes not. I went back to win 10 and reran the FW tool, which then seems to have created a persistent reattachment.

so I don't know if this less-than-perfect situation is due to the old TB1 hardware, or a fault with the (open-box) AIC. since I have no urgent need for TB beyond this experiment, I will likely return it to amazon and re-order one when I have a real need for it.

just for fun I've attached the IOReg output with everything working, plus the virgin DSDT and SSDT's obtained by a clover F4.

update: after writing the above, I shut the computer down and plugged in the TB HD dock that I had unplugged a couple of days ago. I booted back to Mojave, and the HD wasn't recognized. I restarted into win 10. the AR device showed up as "base system device" in settings--devices, but the HD wasn't recognized. so I re-ran the firmware updater, restarted into win 10, and then the HD in the TB dock was recognized. restarted into Mojave and the HD appeared in the finder sidebar.

so it appears that the FW update isn't persisting. seems to point to a faulty AR card.

Attachments

• Office iMac working TB and dock.zip
    1 MB · Views: 69
  • Origin DSDT and SSDT's.zip
    80.4 KB · Views: 65
Version 7 of the USB SSDT (SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml) contains a device called USBX which injects high-current properties. In addition to this SSDT, we also need to copy SSDT-EC.aml to the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder. These are the only two SSDTs necessary for high-current support.
Hi Casey, I indeed have those two files in the patched folder for Clover, but still only get 500ma

Perseverance pays off -- glad to hear another success story! I've added the Focusrite Clarett 2Pre (non-USB version) to the Thunderbolt 3 Experiences list. Welcome to the forum!

In case anyone is moving a Clarett from a Macbook laptop to their new Z390 Designaire, here's a pro tip: be sure to use balanced (TRS) audio cables between the Clarett and your speakers!

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why I was getting so much static and interference when my Thunderbolt cable was plugged into Apple's TB3->TB2 adapter, as compared to plugging it straight into my 2013 Macbook Air. It turns out that my new 750w EVGA PSU was generating a ground loop, which didn't exist with my Macbook, presumably because it's a 2 prong power brick (?). Switching out my TS cables for TRS fixed it.

Anyway, I disassembled half my system trying to figure this out. Don't be like me! :)

Last edited:
Just a quick note to say I followed the guide and everything worked, EVEN Thunderbolt 3 with an Appole Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter plugged into a Sonnet Twin 2G (dual 10GBe adapters) and daisy chained to my Lacie 4TB external drive. Brilliant. THANKS CaseySJ !!!!
Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum!

the experimentation and troubleshooting to get the seagate TB1 HD dock to work with the Alpine Ridge AIC has been a long process.

netting it out (realizing this is a sample size of 1): it appears that the AIC and TB dock needs to be set up in windows. I downloaded the driver and firmware updater for the AR from gigabyte's website. I ran the driver, then the firmware updater. it took a couple of iterations to get windows 10 to recognize the dock. when I clicked on the "up carat" symbol at the right of the win 10 dock and then clicked on the "remove device" icon, the AR is called "base system device". when the FW update kicked in, there also appears a thunderbolt icon which when clicked on showed that the TB dock was present.

then I did a restart into Mojave. the HD that was mounted in the dock appeared on the sidebar in a finder window, and was able to access the files on the drive. I did a restart and the HD reappeared. then I tried a shutdown and cold startup. sometimes the HD was there, sometimes not. I went back to win 10 and reran the FW tool, which then seems to have created a persistent reattachment.

so I don't know if this less-than-perfect situation is due to the old TB1 hardware, or a fault with the (open-box) AIC. since I have no urgent need for TB beyond this experiment, I will likely return it to amazon and re-order one when I have a real need for it.

just for fun I've attached the IOReg output with everything working, plus the virgin DSDT and SSDT's obtained by a clover F4.

update: after writing the above, I shut the computer down and plugged in the TB HD dock that I had unplugged a couple of days ago. I booted back to Mojave, and the HD wasn't recognized. I restarted into win 10. the AR device showed up as "base system device" in settings--devices, but the HD wasn't recognized. so I re-ran the firmware updater, restarted into win 10, and then the HD in the TB dock was recognized. restarted into Mojave and the HD appeared in the finder sidebar.

so it appears that the FW update isn't persisting. seems to point to a faulty AR card.
According to the IOReg file, the hot plug Thunderbolt SSDT is not in use. Were you able to test that SSDT along with SSDT-DTPG?

The fact that the TB1 drive did connect in macOS and Windows is actually a good sign.

Hi Casey, I indeed have those two files in the patched folder for Clover, but still only get 500ma
Hmm, puzzling... This is happening on all blue, red, and yellow USB 3.x ports?

The reason I did the 'boot to windows, install the drivers, then reboot into Mojave' is because I saw a video where somebody (with a different, non Z390 mobo) installed a Titan Ridge card and figured out that Windows somehow initializes the device and the device doesn't lose its magic when softbooting into MacOS. (Maybe it's like the NZXT CAM software - I set it up in Windows and it keeps its settings with a soft boot into Mojave.)

Question for @CaseySJ regarding the above issue. My Hackintosh was running perfect with full TB3 support for all the devices I've reported working. When trying to setup a particularly complex OBS setup which needed a plugin only available on Windows I decided to install Win 10 on a second NVME. I removed all mac drives as suggested and did a successful Win install. I installed the Blackmagic drivers for my UltraStudio Mini Recorder in Windows and got the OBS setup running.

After setting the boot drive to the UEFI mac drive and booting back into the Mac the TB3 ports were no longer working. What are the steps I should take to troubleshoot? There were no changes to the EFI folder and the ports just don't want to work on the mac side now.

Back