Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I thought I had done everything right and everything seemed to work fine with the changes so that Bluetooth would be taken into account as an internal port. This was until this morning when Bluetooth is unavailable in the menu and appears as disabled in the system preferences. No matter how many times I click on "activate", nothing happens. However the bluetooth module is well detected in about this Mac. Did I do something wrong? Can we fix this or should I use a Bluetooth dongle instead?
From IOReg we see that:
  • CNVW (on-board Intel Wireless-AC) is disabled as it should be.
  • Intel Bluetooth on HS14 is also disabled as it should be.
  • The two internal F_USB ports, HS11 and HS12, are only showing the presence of USB splitters, but no Bluetooth device.
Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 8.41.22 AM.png

Suggestions:
  • Check that the Bluetooth cable from WiFi/BT card is connected to one of the USB splitters.
  • Also check whether the same cable is securely attached to the WiFi/BT card.
  • Shutdown computer, flip power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds to do a soft CMOS reset. Power the system back on and check Bluetooth behavior again.

here's a strange one. never encountered this before.
I have started using Samsung Bar usb sticks. they have a sturdy metal body.
the USB ports on the top of my case (a ThermalTake of some variety) have their metal perimeter flush with the top of the case. when I touch the Bar usb to the metal perimeter as I'm inserting it, the computer immediately reboots. using any other usb stick does not cause the reboot, even though there is a metal perimeter on the usb stick. I used a coin to "short" the two sides of the USB port but that doesn't cause a reboot. it's something intrinsic to the Bar usb stick.
so I thought I would try using a USB Hub plugged into the case's top port. the hub I have has the metal perimeter of the ports slightly recessed into the plastic housing of the hub, so 4 times out of 5 I'm able to insert the Bar without causing a reboot. however, if I insert it just right (wrong!) the Bar housing touches the metal inside the port and causes the reboot.
That certainly sounds like a faulty Bar Plus memory stick. You mentioned "Samsung Bar usb sticks" (plural), so do all of them behave the same way?

I have about 6 of these little creatures in both 32GB and 64GB varieties and in both gray and silver. I've never encountered this problem on 3 different Hackintosh cases.

I'm in love with this app called MonitorControl, using your keyboard (works with Magic Kb too) you can control the brightness and volume of your display IF it supports DDC. Can't recommend it enough. Even if you use a real Mac with a Non-Apple external display... this is gold. In case you use brew, it's on cask too: brew cask install monitorcontrol
Thanks -- I'll add this to the Contributed Files and Tips section.

How does MonitorControl compare with the F1/F2 Brightness control method in this section of the build guide?

My main monitor is connected via DVI to the Radeon 580. I could connect the second monitor via DVI, but I had no luck connecting anything via Display port. Searching this thread and the internet, I could only find people having problems with older versions of Mojave (I am on 10.14.6). Are there any tips what I could try out to make it work?

Thanks -- I'll add this to the Contributed Files and Tips section.

How does MonitorControl compare with the F1/F2 Brightness control method in this section of the build guide?
I think that method only applies to brightness.

This app is a bit more complete because you can regulate brightness for selected screens, but also volume (With some options like hiding the display OSD and only showing the macOS one). It also has a status bar icon to control both brightness and sound from there (if your monitor got speakers, that is)
Screenshot 2019-10-04 at 18.49.40.png

Screenshot 2019-10-04 at 18.37.17.png

Screenshot 2019-10-04 at 18.37.19.png

Screenshot 2019-10-04 at 18.37.31.png

Last edited:
And there is one more thing I cannot get to work: I have this professional audio Interface by RME (Madiface XT):

I installed the drivers, did some research regarding RME and Mojave and Hackintosh, but it does not work. After installing the drivers, the interface is not recognised.
This is a common problem in High Sierra and Mojave:
But that was not the problem here ...
Any tips how I could get that interface working? It works fine on the same machine in Windows 10, by the way ...

Last edited:
My main monitor is connected via DVI to the Radeon 580. I could connect the second monitor via DVI, but I had no luck connecting anything via Display port. Searching this thread and the internet, I could only find people having problems with older versions of Mojave (I am on 10.14.6). Are there any tips what I could try out to make it work?
DisplayPort tends to be the most "it just works" interface! So this is really strange.
  • What are the makes/models of the two monitors?
  • Are you using any adapters currently with the DVI connection, or are you using a straight DVI-to-DVI cable?
  • With DisplayPort, are you also using a straight DP-to-DP cable?
And there is one more thing I cannot get to work: I have this professional audio Interface by RME (Madiface XT):
MADIface XT - rme-audio.com
RME Audio Professional Live, Studio, Recording and Broadcast Solutions. Unrivalled Quality, Performance & Stability MADI Interfaces, Converters & Preamps.
www.rme-audio.de
www.rme-audio.de
I installed the drivers, I dis some research regarding RME and Mojave and Hackintosh, but it does not work. After installing the drivers, the interface is not recognised.
This is a common problem in High Sierra and Mojave:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/AG_RME_High_Sierra_Mojave_Installation_EN.pdf
But that was not the problem here ...
Any tips how I could get that interface working? It works fine on the same machine in Windows 10, by the way ...
That's a USB 3.0 audio interface so let's start by examining the IOReg file as follows:
  • Plug the USB cable into the computer and power on the device.
  • Download and run IORegistryExplorer and just export the IOReg file by selecting File --> Save As....
  • Upload that file.
This will tell us whether or not the Madiface XT is connecting to a USB port. This is Step 1. Next step would be based on a review of the IOReg file.

Last edited:
I think that method only applies to brightness.

This app is a bit more complete because you can regulate brightness for selected screens, but also volume (With some options like hiding the display OSD and only showing the macOS one). It also has a status bar icon to control both brightness and sound from there (if your monitor got speakers, that is)
View attachment 428604
View attachment 428599
View attachment 428600
View attachment 428601
This is much more comprehensive. I'll install it this evening and may promote it as Option 1 in the spoiler labeled Enabling Brightness Control via F1 and F2 Keys.

Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 10.50.06 AM.png

I restarted after resetting the CMOS, the Bluetooth is back, I put a screenshot so you can see

Attachments

• Bluetooth.png
    Bluetooth.png
    568.9 KB · Views: 53
I restarted after resetting the CMOS, the Bluetooth is back, I put a screenshot so you can see
Yes it's back!

On real Macs we are sometimes asked to reset NVRAM and/or PRAM. These kinds of problems affect real Macs as well. On Hackintosh we can clear NVRAM from the Clover Boot Menu and we can do either a Soft CMOS Reset or Hard CMOS Reset.

Back