Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

With 32GB UDIMM: Complete failure, didn't even get a useful error. I just got a line of plus signs, then a blank line with the cursor at the end of that line. It stopped there.
Well, it was worth a try. I wonder if reducing memory speed to 2666 MHz will make any difference.

Without 32GB UDIMM: I can boot to the setup screen but I can't use my bluetooth keyboard or mouse. I don't know if this is a freeze or the keyboard/mouse simply don't work and a different one would, but it does boot to the installer.
During installation, the black USB 2.0 ports on the rear IO panel will not work. We have to move keyboard and mouse to a blue, red, or yellow USB 3.x port.

I don't know if trying the public beta instead of the developer would make any difference.
Discussion of developer betas is not permitted. Please see the Rules:

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 6.03.18 PM.png

I'm not sure why it doesn't work though. There's what you said about the Mac Pro, but then there's the fact that iMac19,1 as is on Mojave can be upgraded to 128GB OWC RAM through the 4 slots, so 32GB UDIMMs are supported already. I am using the same brand and clock speed, just different capacities, and if the RAM were bad entirely it shouldn't work at all.
We're mostly speculating. A large number of problems with Hackintosh builds are tackled through creative experimentation. And sometimes we just stumble upon a solution while addressing a different problem (e.g. reducing memory speed to 2666MHz fixes disk-eject problems during sleep -- who would have guessed!).

Just wanted to drop in to say thank you! This is amazing guide. As someone who had a mostly-stable machine back in the 10.6 (maybe 10.7?) days, this is a huge leap forward. Thanks to CaseySJ and everyone else who has contributed!

I have made a successful build with:
Glad to hear it!
So far, it seems like everything works with the exception of USB3 speeds, which are limited to 2 ports on the motherboard. This isn't a functional limitation, but is this normal?
Are you referring to the red USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports (10 Gbps)? If so, what speed are you seeing?
Also, as we await Catalina, will there be a new build guide? Either way, thanks for all of your contributions and assistance to people like me.
I expect to update the existing build guide once Catalina is released, but in a way that relegates Mojave to the background and places the first emphasis on Catalina. Mojave will therefore be treated as a legacy option.

Well, it was worth a try. I wonder if reducing memory speed to 2666 MHz will make any difference.

They are all 2666 MHz already. That's the max clock speed of each RAM stick installed. Would it be worth trying to lower it below 2666 MHz?

During installation, the black USB 2.0 ports on the rear IO panel will not work. We have to move keyboard and mouse to a blue, red, or yellow USB 3.x port.

I'm using the Apple Magic Keyboard/Mouse 2 Bluetooth and I also had the SSDT+USBInjectAll.kext there. Though all of that only comes into play without the 32 GB RAM installed and I don't actually intend on going through the installation, just getting it to boot with the 32 GB UDIMMs.

Last edited:
NOTE: On my system, microcode patches have not been applied because the firmware update tool rejects the patched BIOS file. Wake from sleep does not work and it may (or may not) be due to this. Also note that the ACPI/patched folder contains the Thunderbolt SSDT for Falcon Ridge (Thunderbolt 2). For Thunderbolt 3, the following SSDT can be used (located in the misc sub-folder in the post-install ZIP file):
  • SSDT-X99-TB3HP.aml

Thanks for your great help and sharing the file CaseySJ.

Q1
In my old build, I've to install Windows on a spare drive to 'activate' and get the Asus Thunderbolt 3 card working. Can I erase this drive after getting the Thunderbolt card to work? Don't really need Windows, and would rather free up this drive.
Q2
So I should copy the SSDT-X99-TB3HP.aml from MISC to the ACPI/Patched since I 'm using the Asus Thunderbolt 3 card that came with the board.
Q3
Do we need the Boot/BootX64.efi? Or Clover/CloverX64.efi is enough to boot?
Q4
Can I install Mojave to a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD attached to the ASUS Hyper M.2 X4 Mini that came with the ASUS DELUXE II. Do I need to make any setting in the Bios for this?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-09-05 at 4.03.21 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-05 at 4.03.21 PM.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Because Apple significantly improved thermal throttling with the iMac 19,1 and introduced 9th Gen Intel CPUs for the first time ever, we felt that the best choice “for most people” would be iMac 19,1. For video editors, however, iMacPro 1,1 provides better performance, but with more of a Frankenstein body (non-Xeon CPU, IGPU disabled, non-X99 and non-X299 chipset, no 10Gbit Ethernet, non-ECC memory, etc.).
Has anyone successfully added a 10Gbit card to this build? I am looking for options.

Has anyone successfully added a 10Gbit card to this build? I am looking for options.
Yes I have. I'm using the

Intel X520-DA2 10Gigabit PCI-E Dual Fiber Optical Ethernet Server Adapter E10G42BTDA

This card works very well with the smalltree driver (SmallTreeIntel82576.kext). You do have to go in and modify the OEM ID on the card. I'll have to go back in to my notes and find the specific link that describes the process. It's a fairly painless process.

Yes I have. I'm using the

Intel X520-DA2 10Gigabit PCI-E Dual Fiber Optical Ethernet Server Adapter E10G42BTDA

This card works very well with the smalltree driver (SmallTreeIntel82576.kext). You do have to go in and modify the OEM ID on the card. I'll have to go back in to my notes and find the specific link that describes the process. It's a fairly painless process.
Thanks, just ordered it from Ebay. Your notes would be super helpful!

Thanks for your great help and sharing the file CaseySJ.

Q1
In my old build, I've to install Windows on a spare drive to 'activate' and get the Asus Thunderbolt 3 card working. Can I erase this drive after getting the Thunderbolt card to work? Don't really need Windows, and would rather free up this drive.
Please verify whether Windows is really necessary to enable hot-plug on the TB3 card. This can be done as follows:
  • First, of course, we need to copy the TB3 SSDT to CLOVER/ACPI/patched.
  • Then shutdown the system and remove power cable (or flip power switch on back of power supply unit) for 10 seconds. This is absolutely necessary for this test.
  • Now boot into macOS (not Windows). This is considered a cold start.
  • Connect, safely disconnect, and then reconnect one or more Thunderbolt devices. Do they reconnect properly?
  • If so, then Windows is simply not necessary.
    • However, use Windows to install the latest firmware on the Asus ThunderboltEX 3 card.
Q2
So I should copy the SSDT-X99-TB3HP.aml from MISC to the ACPI/Patched since I 'm using the Asus Thunderbolt 3 card that came with the board.
Yes. But also delete or move the existing Thunderbolt SSDT file from CLOVER/ACPI/patched. Only 1 such file can be present. Also note that the Thunderbolt card must be plugged into the bottommost slot (red box in diagram).
Q3
Do we need the Boot/BootX64.efi? Or Clover/CloverX64.efi is enough to boot?
Both of them are necessary. The Boot folder and the CLOVER folder must be present.
Q4
Can I install Mojave to a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD attached to the ASUS Hyper M.2 X4 Mini that came with the ASUS DELUXE II. Do I need to make any setting in the Bios for this?
Yes you can, but plug the Hyper M.2 X4 card into the third long slot (blue box). No BIOS settings needed.

Asus X99 Deluxe-II Motherboard Layout
Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 10.17.12 AM.png

Asus X99 Deluxe-II BIOS Settings:

Finally, it is necessary to set BIOS parameters correctly. These are my settings (I'm using 3200MHz memory so some of these screens may look different):
Boot.JPG Main.JPG

Advanced-1.JPG Advanced-2.JPG

Advanced-3.JPG Advanced-4.JPG

Advanced-5.JPG Advanced-6.JPG

Advanced-7.JPG Advanced-8.JPG

Advanced-9.JPG Advanced-10.JPG

Advanced-11.JPG Advanced-12.JPG

Advanced-13.JPG AI-Tweaker-1.JPG

AI-Tweaker-2.JPG AI-Tweaker-3.JPG

AI-Tweaker-4.JPG AI-Tweaker-5.JPG

Last edited:
Hey!
Your scores are a bit off, comparing with my i7-8700 (non K, stock).
Maybe you have something running on background?
My ram is clocked at 2400MHz. BTW, on the info it shows 0.

Hi, see this post, posted this on Tuesday at 2:15 PM: / update on geekbench score, seems right now.
"Update on my Hackintosh and Geekbench scores. Installed a total of 32GB 3000MHz memory (2xCorsair Vengenace LPX DDR4 3000MHz 16GB). Multiplier x48 in BIOS. Then I got great Geekbench scores. Single 6463 - multi 31532."

Could someone please explain me shortly what is it all about the discussion lowering the RAM speed? I don't get it...

Back