Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

It does seem somewhat arbitrary, but more than that, it seems like a bemusing non sequitur. The new Mac Pro maxes out at 2933 MHz memory, but also accommodates 128GB DIMMs. So perhaps Catalina in combination with sys-def MacPro 7,1 might make the magic happen for us???
I will do some more testing, but if lowering RAM speed fixes sleep and eject... That's simply baffling. I also got rid of darkwake=0. Let's see what happens. I had no problems sleeping my rig last night.

Well... Here's the weird thing... I now got it to work at 2700 MHz, passing the 2666 MHz. 2800 MHz and above hoses it (brings back sleep eject error).

So, perhaps they set this to happen at 2700 MHz for possible variances in ram or something weird (not technical in this field enough to know).

Either way it could provide a clue. Perhaps it has something to do with power management of the machine as far as Catalina.. Then we lose 32 bit apps. :/ i don't necessarily need them, but there's always JIC!

It may fix the eject error, but my sleep is hosed again. Bounces right back to the login screen, just as before.

It may fix the eject error, but my sleep is hosed again. Bounces right back to the login screen, just as before.
@ 2700 MHz?

Here's another thing...
Maybe my n00bness isn't understanding and perhaps missing something but...

When I change memory info in SMBIOS, it changes everything in system report.

HOWEVER, when I run Geekbench, the result I get are unaffected and are actually determined by settings in the motherboards actual BIOS, regardless of what SMBIOS is set to. If I have the mobo BIOS set to 3600 and SMBIOS set to 2666 MHz and run Geekbench, I basically get scores reflecting 3600 MHz and not 2666 MHz.

Basically, SMBIOS is just causing a cosmetic change to About This Mac / System Report and is useless.

I'n my infinite n00bnessness, I must be missing something.

This new Geekbench - 5

From what I saw, the score completely changed ...

Anybody have an EASY, tested way to overclock the 9900K in the Designare? Just looking for something simple to go to 5.0ghz all cores.

I used this PDF from Gigabyte as a reference.

This new Geekbench - 5

- Geekbench 5 still buggy, gives me weird results, says my RAM is 1600MHz ( instead of 3200) so the scores are proportional ( very slow)

- Geekbench 4 , everything more or less as expected

This new Geekbench - 5

I used this PDF from Gigabyte as a reference.
- Geekbench 5 still buggy, gives me weird results, says my RAM is 1600MHz ( instead of 3200) so the scores are proportional ( very slow)

- Geekbench 4 , everything more or less as expected

Not sure if anyone was replying to me or not, but concerning my post immediately before you guys...

I'm on Geekbench 4.
I am going by scores alone, not hardware profiles.

The scores given are affected directly by my motherboard BIOS settings and not what I have in clover as far as manual entry of memory in SMBIOS at all.
The manual memory entry in SMBIOS affects what shows up in About This Mac and System Report but does not affect performance scores. Only motherboard bios affects performance scores.

Just wanted to drop in to say thank you! This is amazing guide. As someone who had a mostly-stable machine back in the 10.6 (maybe 10.7?) days, this is a huge leap forward. Thanks to CaseySJ and everyone else who has contributed!

I have made a successful build with:

Motherboard: Designare with BIOS F6
CPU: i7-9700k
GFX: XFX Radeon VII GPU
RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) G.SKILL DDR4 (3000 MHz)
Storage 1: Samsung m2 SSD (500 GB - Win10)
Storage 2: Crucial m2 SSD (1 TB - MacOS)
Wifi: Fenvi FV-T919 (includes Bluetooth)

So far, it seems like everything works with the exception of USB3 speeds, which are limited to 2 ports on the motherboard. This isn't a functional limitation, but is this normal?

Also, as we await Catalina, will there be a new build guide? Either way, thanks for all of your contributions and assistance to people like me.

Is anyone running 128GB with macOS on this system? If so, what make and model of 32GB DIMMs are you using? Were any special configuration changes needed?

Please see post by @CODYQX4 above.

I would like to point out that I would only have 96GB if this worked, because I have 2 16GB and 2 32GB. However, the BIOS and Windows are perfectly happy with that.

It does seem somewhat arbitrary, but more than that, it seems like a bemusing non sequitur. The new Mac Pro maxes out at 2933 MHz memory, but also accommodates 128GB DIMMs. So perhaps Catalina in combination with sys-def MacPro 7,1 might make the magic happen for us???

I created a USB installer with Clover and I copied over my existing EFI, except that I changed the SMBIOS to MacPro7,1.

I then tested booting the latest Catalina Developer Beta with and without a 32GB UDIMM installed.

With 32GB UDIMM: Complete failure, didn't even get a useful error. I just got a line of plus signs, then a blank line with the cursor at the end of that line. It stopped there.

Without 32GB UDIMM: I can boot to the setup screen but I can't use my bluetooth keyboard or mouse. I don't know if this is a freeze or the keyboard/mouse simply don't work and a different one would, but it does boot to the installer.

I don't know if trying the public beta instead of the developer would make any difference.

I'm not sure why it doesn't work though. There's what you said about the Mac Pro, but then there's the fact that iMac19,1 as is on Mojave can be upgraded to 128GB OWC RAM through the 4 slots, so 32GB UDIMMs are supported already. I am using the same brand and clock speed, just different capacities, and if the RAM were bad entirely it shouldn't work at all.

Hi CaseySJ, thank you very much for your help. Now that my Gigabyte Designare Z390 is running smoothly, I'm planning to resurrect my X99 Asus Deluxe II with the i7 6900K. My current system is based on KGP Build Guide, and I'm still stuck on OS 10.2 Sierra due to my Nvidia Graphics card. Currently I'm facing random shutdown and USB problem. I have a spare AMD RX580 so I would to like to install Mojave and rebuild the whole system from scratch. Much appreciated if you can assist me with the mentioned CLOVER folder from both X99 Asus Deluxe II USB install disk and final post-installation disk.
Certainly; will set a reminder to do this later today.
Attached are the CLOVER folders from the EFI partitions of:
  • USB Install Disk
    • Asus-X99-CLOVER-Install-Disk.zip
  • Mojave SSD (post-installation done)
    • Asus-X99-CLOVER-Post-Install.zip
Serial numbers have been redacted from both of the config.plist files in both of these sections:
  • RtVariables
  • SMBIOS
Simply click the pop-up menu in the SMBIOS section of Clover Configurator and re-select iMacPro1,1. This will generate new numbers. Then copy-and-paste Board Serial Number into MLB field in RtVariables. It's best to use the same serial numbers in both config.plist files.

NOTE: On my system, microcode patches have not been applied because the firmware update tool rejects the patched BIOS file. Wake from sleep does not work and it may (or may not) be due to this. Also note that the ACPI/patched folder contains the Thunderbolt SSDT for Falcon Ridge (Thunderbolt 2). For Thunderbolt 3, the following SSDT can be used (located in the misc sub-folder in the post-install ZIP file):
  • SSDT-X99-TB3HP.aml

Attachments

• Asus-X99-CLOVER-Install-Disk.zip
    20.1 MB · Views: 93
  • Asus-X99-CLOVER-Post-Install.zip
    22.3 MB · Views: 111
Back