Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

The iMac (21.5-inch Retina Early 2019) from Apple, when shipped with i8700k : Single-Core Score 5837 // Multi-Core Score 26572. And I dont think it is overclocked from apple. This got me thinking that I should hit higher numbers than single 5937 - multi 24546 . What do you guys think?
I can tell you that I got 6700 single core and 40000 multicore with my i9 9900K for comparison. It doesn't sound like you are too far off of the Apple score, maybe tweak overclock settings a bit (and XMP for ram).

The 4th SSDT in the screenshot should not be present. Only 1 SSDT-UIAC... file is permitted. Please remove that file and check USB ports again. There may still be other issues, but let’s do one thing at a time.

Okay, so i deleted the file and rebooted. Now i can see the Bluetooth Option in my settings :D!!. However i am not able to turn it on or off. When i try to send a file via airdrop from my iphone i can't see my Mac (Allow me to be discovered by "Everyone" was . turned on off course). The button is "greyed out" as shown in the Screenshot.
Don't know if this helps but i will attach new photos and sheets of my "patched" folder an io Registry as well as a pict. The Front USB2.0 Ports of my Fractal R6 are still not working but i think this can be done only via a Splitter? I also attached a screenshot of my System Report>Buetooth.
USB3.0 works just fine but they've been just before.

Attachments

• Ferdinand’s iMac IORegistrExplorer v2.ioreg
    17.2 MB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot 2019-08-30 at 21.25.29.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-30 at 21.25.29.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot 2019-08-30 at 21.25.43.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-30 at 21.25.43.png
    201.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot 2019-08-30 at 21.34.09.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-30 at 21.34.09.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot 2019-08-30 at 22.20.48.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-30 at 22.20.48.png
    539.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Okay, so i deleted the file and rebooted. Now i can see the Bluetooth Option in my settings :D!!. However i am not able to turn it on or off. When i try to send a file via airdrop from my iphone i can't see my Mac (Allow me to be discovered by "Everyone" was . turned on off course). The button is "greyed out" as shown in the Screenshot.
Don't know if this helps but i will attach new photos and sheets of my "patched" folder an io Registry as well as a pict. The Front USB2.0 Ports of my Fractal R6 are still not working but i think this can be done only via a Splitter? I also attached a screenshot of my System Report>Buetooth.
USB3.0 works just fine but they've been just before.
The IOReg file is telling a very ominous story:
  • The CLOVER folder that you mentioned is not being used -- at least not in its entirety.
  • Thunderbolt (RP05) is not active.
    • Is Thunderbolt turned on in BIOS?
    • Because RP05 device has no child nodes at all, it suggests that Thunderbolt has been disabled.
  • All 20+ USB ports are active due to USB port limit patch. But only 15 ports should be enabled. Port HS14 (built-in Intel CNVi Bluetooth) is also active, and this is why your Bluetooth settings are not working.
    • However, your Broadcom Bluetooth device should be attached to HS11 or HS12, but both HS11 and HS12 are showing no device connected.
    • The USB SSDT is not active.
    • This also means the USB port limit patches in Kernel and Kext Patches have not been disabled.
It might be best to re-check all steps shown in Final Steps in Post-Installation. You may also compress and upload the entire CLOVER folder, but please remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist.

Thanks! Removing the RX580 SSDT works. Regards to setting platform ID to 0x3E980003, I can just select it in config.plist/graphics/ig-platform-id? I have attached a file for confirmation.

May I know what is this Mini-Guide: Using Hackintool to Set Headless Platform ID 0x3E980003 for? Is this the same as above?
Good question. There are at least 2 ways of setting Platform ID:
  • Let CLOVER do it.
    • In this case the screenshot you posted is correct.
    • We can set ig-platform-id to 0x3E980003 from the pop-up menu and check Inject Intel.
  • Let WhateverGreen do it.
    • In this case we should (a) blank out ig-platform-id from the Graphics page of Clover Configurator and also (b) uncheck Inject Intel.
    • Then we can follow the Hackintool Mini-Guide to set platform ID (in Devices --> Properties).
Generally speaking it's better to let WhateverGreen manage the iGPU because of the solid progress being made by vit9696 and others to fix problems, add features, and make it compatible with Catalina. So I recommend the second option.

@CaseySJ I've finally build my Hack Pro 5K! I'm incredible grateful for your awesome guide and advice!.

As you know in order to get full 5K I needed to go with another motherboard. So I picked up the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro. So far, everything seems to be working, I'm receiving the Titan Ridge on Monday. So I can't test for now the LG 5K and TB3 connectivity. But there's already 2 users that got that working, so I'm not so worried about it.

Going to sleep seems to work fine, BUT It takes around 20 seconds to shutdown everything (lights, fans, etc). The display goes off immediately after I press Sleep. The first problem I found is that the fans ramp up for a few seconds before they stop. Is this normal or can be fixed?

And my second problem is, when waking up, the monitor is not showing up image up until around 20-25 seconds, which makes it not that unusable.

I'm running a Vega 56 connected through DP port to my 27'' LED Cinema Display on Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro. If I try with darkawake=0, the problem improves quite a bit (takes around 5-6 seconds to show image), but still seems it takes quite a few seconds to wake and show image on the display. Anything I can do to improve this?
Awesome! Please keep us informed once the Titan Ridge is installed.

Regarding sleep and wake duration, I think those numbers are fairly normal:
  • Even on my system the monitor will go blank quickly, but macOS needs some time to preserve the state of the system before the actual sleep occurs. This can easily take 30 seconds. When the system enters sleep, RGB lights on memory modules (if you have RGB RAM) will remain lit up. This is because the system must keep the DIMMs powered (albeit in a low-power state) so that its contents are not erased. The difference between (a) sleep and (b) hibernate is that the contents of memory are written to disk and the system is effectively shut down.
  • Waking can also take some time. It depends on how many apps are running, how many devices are attached, etc. Even here, 20-25 seconds is reasonable.

Last edited:
Awesome! Please keep us informed once the Titan Ridge is installed.

Regarding sleep and wake duration. I think that's fairly normal:
  • Even on my system the monitor will go blank quickly, but macOS needs some time to preserve the state of the system before the actual sleep occurs. This can easily take 30 seconds. When the system enters sleep, RGB lights on memory modules (if you have RGB RAM) will remain lit up. This is because the system must keep the DIMMs powered (albeit in a low-power state) so that its contents are not erased. The difference between (a) sleep and (b) hibernate is that the contents of memory are written to disk and the system is effectively shut down.
  • Waking can also take some time. It depends on how many apps are running, how many devices are attached, etc. Even here, 20-25 seconds is reasonable.
Will do! I'm planning on use the files you help created on this thread for the TB3. I'm also using those files for the SSDT USB

Oh no damn :(. The sleep is a big bummer for me. Looks like with darkawake=0 takes a bit less but still. Maybe by using TB3 and LG Ultrafine 5k display it will take less?. IS this related to the Z390 motherboards or just in general with any Hackintosh? Can't entirely remember but I think with the Asus Z370 Rog Strix wasn't happening this much?. I could still return the mobo until end of next month and replace for something else that works better than my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro (and that works with the Titan Ridge)

Also I noticed that when it's sleeping for a while and I wake it up, the USB ports (or at least the ones where the keyboard and mouse is connected) are not responding for like 10 seconds. This is also really a bummer.

I'm still on time to return all the parts but I wanted to make this work. I was hoping all this was because I didn't have the correct configuration. Kind of feeling lost and a bit afraid now :(

EDIT: looks like some of the USB ports also are not supporting hot-plug. And if I have any disk connected to USB when coming back from sleep I get the typical "Disk Not Ejected Properly" notification. I'm going to try to do my own SSDT tomorrow and hopefully fix this.

Last edited:
Yes, that's correct. However, simply switching to this platform ID will not enable the HDMI port on the rear IO panel. The two Thunderbolt/DisplayPort ports will work by default so it's a good idea to use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. However, if HDMI is the only option, then it's necessary to apply a frame buffer connector patch to enable HDMI. A Mini-Guide for that can be found here:

The only option is HDMI and I made framebuffer connector patch, making boot and getting the full acceleration. But on boot I am getting weird boot glitch; is that normal?

I tried -disablegfxfirmware boot arg but it didn't help. Do you have any suggestion?

IMG_0112.PNG

EDIT: looks like some of the USB ports also are not supporting hot-plug. And if I have any disk connected to USB when coming back from sleep I get the typical "Disk Not Ejected Properly" notification. I'm going to try to do my own SSDT tomorrow and hopefully fix this.
This particular problem cannot be fixed with an SSDT! This happens on real Macs as well. A possible solution is the “Jettison” utility.

This particular problem cannot be fixed with an SSDT! This happens on real Macs as well. A possible solution is the “Jettison” utility.

It’s interesting, as I have multiple Macs, and rarely encounter this issue. I thought for sure it had to do with SSDT and/or drivers.

As a side note, when I look at my USB, I see power availability at 900ma. Does this imply I’m not setup properly somewhere along the way for high current?
If you like you may compress and upload the CLOVER folder from EFI partition of the Mojave SSD (NVMe). But as always, redact serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist. Re-installing or re-doing the EFI might be a little overkill if the problem is relatively easy to fix.
I went ahead and checked into it some more. There was an APPLE directory that had a couple of files in it. I deleted those and it appears to work again!

The IOReg file is telling a very ominous story:
  • The CLOVER folder that you mentioned is not being used -- at least not in its entirety.
  • Thunderbolt (RP05) is not active.
    • Is Thunderbolt turned on in BIOS?
    • Because RP05 device has no child nodes at all, it suggests that Thunderbolt has been disabled.
  • All 20+ USB ports are active due to USB port limit patch. But only 15 ports should be enabled. Port HS14 (built-in Intel CNVi Bluetooth) is also active, and this is why your Bluetooth settings are not working.
    • However, your Broadcom Bluetooth device should be attached to HS11 or HS12, but both HS11 and HS12 are showing no device connected.
    • The USB SSDT is not active.
    • This also means the USB port limit patches in Kernel and Kext Patches have not been disabled.
It might be best to re-check all steps shown in Final Steps in Post-Installation. You may also compress and upload the entire CLOVER folder, but please remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist.

Okay, so I completely reinstalled everything. But still the same result. I attached the Clover Folder (SMBIOS Board Serial Number is deleted). There is something strange but maybe its normal. I got two EFIs to mount. I will attach the picture below. I don't know which device this is. I even see it in the BIOS but, when I choose it as a Boot device, it just jumps back to the boot devices list. I am talking about the ST2000DM008-2FR102 Media Device. When I mount it in Clover, it's empty.

In the other folder I deleted the UIAC again, and I see the Bluetooth option, now, again, but without the option to turn it again.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-08-31 at 02.05.40.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-31 at 02.05.40.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 88
Back