Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

A PCIe x4 SATA card with Mac compatibility. In the build guide you will see that the suggested SATA cards are all x1, so I’ll add this to the list.
The ASM1062 is a PCIe 2.0 x2 device with two ports of Serial ATA 6Gps. You can only get 750 MB/s max, so I wouldn't try to raid anything with it. I guess the two ASM1093 are SATA port multipliers with one host port and three device drives. Are port multipliers compatible with macOS?

AAARRRRGGGGGGGGHHHH, damn!!!!. Then I will have to cancel the order until the Titan Ridge comes back to stock in Amazon.es, otherwise I won't be able to properly try it out. This is driving me nuts haha.

Okay then, I guess I will wait until after my holidays unless the Titan Ridge comes back on stock very soon.
Keep it. It should work enough without PCIe tunneling enabled to allow DisplayPort x2 to Thunderbolt conversion to display a 5K image on a connected LG UltraFine 5K display.

I'm having a hard time finding that USB header female (on both sides) that the Titan Ridge uses on Amazon :/
It comes with the GC-TITAN RIDGE. It's only needed to allow using USB 2.0 devices that are connected directly to the GC-TITAN RIDGE. USB 2.0 devices will work from connected Thunderbolt devices (if you have PCIe tunneling over Thunderbolt working) because Thunderbolt devices have their own USB 2.0/3.x controllers.

any1 succeeded to connect iMac(2018+) display as 2nd monitor via TB3???
iMac 2018 doesn't support Target Display Mode. If you have an iMac that supports Target Display Mode, you need the Apple Thunderbolt drivers to be working properly to allow your Hackintosh to output video to the iMac. The same goes for Thunderbolt networking, and Thunderbolt target disk mode.

Keep it. It should work enough without PCIe tunneling enabled to allow DisplayPort x2 to Thunderbolt conversion to display a 5K image on a connected LG UltraFine 5K display.
Sadly I can’t! I do want to do the full testing and see if everything works perfectly, including TB3 tunneling, etc

Even if I make it work only as a hub with the Alpine I won’t be receiving the Titan soon enough to check that I’m able to get the full experience losing those 14 days I have to return the display to Apple.

The only way I can do it is to have Titan Ridge and all of the components at the same time, build it, test it and if it works then I can keep everything

The ASM1062 is a PCIe 2.0 x2 device with two ports of Serial ATA 6Gps. You can only get 750 MB/s max, so I wouldn't try to raid anything with it. I guess the two ASM1093 are SATA port multipliers with one host port and three device drives. Are port multipliers compatible with macOS?
Just reworded the description to physically x4, but electrically x2. Port Multipliers work quite well with macOS, but some chipsets may not be compatible. I'm using the Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro Plus on the old 2008 Mac Pro with a port-multiplied SATA enclosure.
Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 5.37.10 AM.png

I didn’t had any problems with the Fenvi T919. Only some lag with the Apple mouse, but after some reading this was probably because the 2,4Ghz WiFi band. To improve the signal, I used the antenna which came with the Designare and connected it to the 2 middle screws on the Fenvi card (2 middle screws for no particular reason). Connection is perfect and no mouse lag, but at the same I time changed the settings in my router to not combine 2,4 and 5Ghz, but both separate. So don’t know exactly what did it that the mouse lag went away. My Hackintosh is standard connected to the 5Ghz and lan cable. So no need for me to buy additional antenna's.
Because I'm using the on-board Intel Wireless-AC 9560 CNVi module in Windows, the Designare outboard antenna is connected to the dual connectors on the rear IO panel. This module is more advanced than the Broadcom 94360 and works in Windows as expected.

I have a lot of wires connected to the back of the computer -- some of which are overhanging the 4 Fenvi antennas -- and I find it difficult to reorient those antennas and keep them in position. Hence the decision to try this outboard solution.

Maybe my question doesn't have much to do with the topic, but my system is perfect, thanks @CaseySJ
I have a question, I mounted a RAID 0 with 5 SSD (Samsung QVO 860 - 2TB), thinking it would have a performance of 2000/2500 .. It happens that is no more than 1600/1700. What would be the reason? Use on a MAC and SOFTRaid in Raid 0.

Maybe my question doesn't have much to do with the topic, but my system is perfect, thanks @CaseySJ
I have a question, I mounted a RAID 0 with 5 SSD (Samsung QVO 860 - 2TB), thinking it would have a performance of 2000/2500 .. It happens that is no more than 1600/1700. What would be the reason? Use on a MAC and SOFTRaid in Raid 0.
1600/1700 might be the max for a PCIe 2.0 x4 connection (or PCIe 3.0 x2). What computer/motherboard? What slot? What SATA controller?

Hm. Sleep is not working 100%. My rig will sleep/wake properly a couple of times, but then bounce back immediately until restart. Any ideas? Sleep has never been working properly on all the Hacks that I've built.
Not a big deal, normally I don't want it to sleep at all, but it's kind of nice that if I walk away from my desk for an hour or so I can put it to sleep.
I also have the disk not ejected properly message, but I am not ready to spend money on Jettison.

Hm. Sleep is not working 100%. My rig will sleep/wake properly a couple of times, but then bounce back immediately until restart. Any ideas? Sleep has never been working properly on all the Hacks that I've built.
Not a big deal, normally I don't want it to sleep at all, but it's kind of nice that if I walk away from my desk for an hour or so I can put it to sleep.
I also have the disk not ejected properly message, but I am not ready to spend money on Jettison.
Are you using “darkwake=0”? Also give some other values a try, including removing darkwake altogether, which may require 2 key presses for wake. I encountered issues with repeated sleep/wake cycles so I removed darkwake a while ago. Not sure how many cycles I can obtain now...haven’t tested more than 2 in a long time.

Hi CaseySJ,
I added a UAD2 PCIe OCTO to my build it is installed in the PCIEX8 slot. All my authorized plugins were applied and it works great.
I went with the OCTO as reading on the UA support website the OCTO seems to be more compatible with systems than the QUAD. The interface hardware does appear on both cards appears to be slightly different.

Braing

Back