Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I wanted to see the fan speeds also in iStat Menus, so I switched from FakeSMC to VirtualSmc. Followed the guide (without making a backup of the system, YOLO:thumbup:!): https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-584#post-1984173 and after restart everything worked fine. But still no fans in iStat!
FakeSMC was in the Library/Extensions folder, VirtualSmc doesn't have to be there? Why actually do (some) kexts have to be in the EFI-kexts-Other folder and at the same time in the Library/Extensions? I have Clover revision 4934

Edit (after some more searching): @CaseySJ in post: #6,584 you seem to mention that VirtualSmc does have to be copied into Library/Extensions/. So back to my earlier question, when do I put kexts in the Library folder and when in the kexts/Other?

Last edited:
@jrebergen

So back to my earlier question, when do I put kexts in the Library folder and when in the kexts/Other?

for FMSC, all in the folder other , that should be
-FakeSMC_GPUsensors.kext
-FakeSLC_LPCSensors.kext
-FakeSMC_ALPCISensors.kext
-FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
-FakeSMC.kext

and HWmonitor.app in your folder application

you need to rebuild the cache

Last edited:
Sounds good. And it looks like VirtualSMC is ok to use with 10.14.5 and later versions?
Yes, VirtualSMC is compatible with all releases of Mojave.

Thank you
for your help
I have updated the system from 10.4.5 to 10.4.6
the 8-pin CPU power cable to the ATX_12V_2X4 connector is correct
the LEDs turn on the VGA and DRAM and the VGA only stays on.
When turning on it looks black and after a while the operating system Macox 10.4.6 appears I put the key and it works.
But Clover is no longer visible to select boot disk or by pressing the F12 key or the delete key the BIOS is not visible. If I put the memory by default it goes well but when putting in the bios profile 1 clover does not appear nor can I enter the bios.
If I put
Greetings.
Luisan

the google translator doesn't say what I want
excuse
This is most likely due to BIOS --> Initial Display Ouput --> IGFX. It should be changed to PCIe 1 Slot as follows:
  • Connect your monitor to the HDMI port on the rear IO panel (motherboard HDMI).
  • Reboot.
  • Do you see the BIOS splash screen?
  • If so, press DEL to enter Setup and change Initial Display Output to PCIe 1 Slot.
  • Save changes and reboot.

I wanted to see the fan speeds also in iStat Menus, so I switched from FakeSMC to VirtualSmc. Followed the guide (without making a backup of the system, YOLO:thumbup:!): https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-584#post-1984173 and after restart everything worked fine. But still no fans in iStat!
FakeSMC was in the Library/Extensions folder, VirtualSmc doesn't have to be there? Why actually do (some) kexts have to be in the EFI-kexts-Other folder and at the same time in the Library/Extensions? I have Clover revision 4934

Edit (after some more searching): @CaseySJ in post: #6,584 you seem to mention that VirtualSmc does have to be copied into Library/Extensions/. So back to my earlier question, when do I put kexts in the Library folder and when in the kexts/Other?
VirtualSMC and FakeSMC should not be intermixed. It's an either/or proposition. If using VirtualSMC, then all FakeSMC-related kexts and EFI files must be removed from:
  • /Library/Extensions
  • CLOVER/drivers64UEFI (SMCHelper.efi)
  • CLOVER/kexts/Other
Regarding the question of what to install in /L/E and what to install in C/k/O, there are two camps of thought. Alas, every issue has its proponents and opponents. My view on this is similar to @jaymonkey, who has created this guide:

Why do I subscribe to this view? Because real Macintoshes do not run Clover. There is no CLOVER/kexts/Other folder on any Mac. Every third-party kext is installed in /Library/Extensions and the kernel cache is updated to streamline the loading process during boot.

On a Hackintosh, however, we do require Clover, but we should adhere as much as possible to the standard guidelines for macOS. So all third-party kexts should be installed in /L/E. We still require a minimum number of kexts to be retained in CLOVER/kexts/Other so that macOS updates can be installed and the Recovery volume can be booted. Remember that during a macOS update, the system creates a new boot volume (macOS Install) that won't boot unless FakeSMC (or VirtualSMC) is present. We also retain a copy of Lilu and WhateverGreen in case they're needed to properly initialize the GPU.

My builtin thunderbolt doesn't seem to work, and was hoping someone has a fix
The most common causes are:
  • BIOS --> Thunderbolt Security --> Must be set to No Security
  • CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder --> Both SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml and SSDT-DTPG.aml must be present

Figured some things out myself, Clover revision was not the latest. Clover Configurator for some reason didn't give me the option to update, so I did it manually. Quite scary, because I still don't have a backup, only the first install USB. Updated Clover to 5033 and compared everything in the now called 'drivers' folder. Checked, checked and double checked and then restarted. No problems!

Still iStat sees no fans! :lol:
iStat Menus.png
VirtualSMC, SMCProcessor and SMCSuperIO are only in the kexts -> Other folder and not in the /Library/Extensions.

Clover Configurator for some reason still doesn't see Current and Remote version (There were some problems contacting server of stable and beta versions.)???
Clover Configurator.png

Current "drivers" folder:
drivers.png

Current "kexts" folder:
kexts.png

Current "Extensions" folder: (red are Apple's own kexts)
Extensions.png

Does anyone see something wrong?

Figured some things out myself, Clover revision was not the latest. Clover Configurator for some reason didn't give me the option to update, so I did it manually. Quite scary, because I still don't have a backup, only the first install USB. Updated Clover to 5033 and compared everything in the now called 'drivers' folder. Checked, checked and double checked and then restarted. No problems!

Still iStat sees no fans! :lol:
View attachment 421218
VirtualSMC, SMCProcessor and SMCSuperIO are only in the kexts -> Other folder and not in the /Library/Extensions.

Clover Configurator for some reason still doesn't see Current and Remote version (There were some problems contacting server of stable and beta versions.)???
View attachment 421216

Current "drivers" folder:
View attachment 421217

Current "kexts" folder:
View attachment 421219

Current "Extensions" folder: (red are Apple's own kexts)
View attachment 421222

Does anyone see something wrong?
How and where to install kexts:

VirtualSMC and FakeSMC should not be intermixed. It's an either/or proposition. If using VirtualSMC, then all FakeSMC-related kexts and EFI files must be removed from:
  • /Library/Extensions
  • CLOVER/drivers64UEFI (SMCHelper.efi)
  • CLOVER/kexts/Other
Regarding the question of what to install in /L/E and what to install in C/k/O, there are two camps of thought. Alas, every issue has its proponents and opponents. My view on this is similar to @jaymonkey, who has created this guide:

Why do I subscribe to this view? Because real Macintoshes do not run Clover. There is no CLOVER/kexts/Other folder on any Mac. Every third-party kext is installed in /Library/Extensions and the kernel cache is updated to streamline the loading process during boot.

On a Hackintosh, however, we do require Clover, but we should adhere as much as possible to the standard guidelines for macOS. So all third-party kexts should be installed in /L/E. We still require a minimum number of kexts to be retained in CLOVER/kexts/Other so that macOS updates can be installed and the Recovery volume can be booted. Remember that during a macOS update, the system creates a new boot volume (macOS Install) that won't boot unless FakeSMC (or VirtualSMC) is present. We also retain a copy of Lilu and WhateverGreen in case they're needed to properly initialize the GPU.

How and where to install kexts:
@CaseySJ and @Feartech Thanks! Man I'm learning more and more every minute! Love it! For a faster Mac with better cooling and expandability for half the price of a genuine iMac it's worth it!

Back