Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

CPUSensor is reporting an Unsupported CPU and throwing a kernel panic. I wonder if you're installing an obsolete set of FakeSMC sensors.

If this is happening during macOS installation:
Please compress and upload the CLOVER folder from the EFI partition of USB install disk.

If this is happening after installation when booting into macOS desktop:
Compress and upload the CLOVER folder from EFI partition of Mojave SSD and also post a screenshot of the /Library/Extensions folder.

So this is happening after boot as far as I can tell, I have reverted to a older version of my EFI and OSX as I was getting that panic and Continuity and hand-off were not working. The attached EFI (EFI_14-july-19.zip)

uses Clover 4934, when I updated to Clover 5033 Continuity and hand-off stopped working.

I have also attached the EFI that I was on when the panic was caused (5-AUG-19.zip)

Attachments

• EFI_14-july-19.zip
    18.3 MB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot 2019-08-08 at 13.41.52.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-08 at 13.41.52.png
    178.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 5-AUG-19.zip
    17.4 MB · Views: 69
I may have some not-so-good news regarding the ABWB card. Please see the top of this reply:

If you follow the two links provided, you'll see that this card is not recommended because of the troubles people have reported. The Fenvi FV-T919 is the preferred choice.

The second issue occurs on real Macs as well. USB drives will not eject and reconnect before and after sleep. Third-party tools such as Jettison can help. Please see the spoiler labeled External Disks Not Ejected During Sleep:

Hi Casey, regarding the issue of USB ejecting after Sleep recovery, its not true that it happens on all Macs.
I tested this on my laptop and my original hack (same as yours but 8700k processor) and I do not have this issue on either. This is why it immediately stood out to me when I saw it, I thought doesn't look right.

any ideas? thanks mate.

Hi - I just wanted to say THANK YOU! I followed your guide and got my Hackintosh to work perfectly, its my first build, gigabyte z390 designare, 64gb ram, Radeon VII sapphire, with Intel i9 chip - its beautiful, looks like it comes just shy of a 14core imac pro - thanks for your guide again.

This is normal because the AMD driver implements a fan curve that typically spins up the fans when GPU temp hits 50C or higher.

I have check the GPU temp ,according to this software, the GPU temp is 127C, but the fan still not work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 6.43.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 6.43.49 AM.png
    195.3 KB · Views: 66
The \_TZ.TZ10 device path refers to Thermal Zone, which is one of the temperature monitoring zones on the motherboard. Your VirtualSMC configuration looks correct. Some suggestions:
  • Check the version of VirtualSMC and download/install latest build. Remember to also copy latest VirtualSMC.efi into the drivers/UEFI folder.
  • Post a screenshot of the /Library/Extensions folder and run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel cache.
Hi
VirtualSMC was the latest release 1.0.6 (latest I could find anyway)but I've replaced all the files just in case anything was corrupt and rebuilt the kernel cache, unfortunately I'm still getting the same ACPI Error messages
I did try reverting to FaxeSMC yesterday, but that didn't resolve anything either, so went back to VirtualSMC

Attached is a screenshot of my /Library/Extensions folder as requested

Screenshot 2019-08-08 at 14.54.52.png

So this is happening after boot as far as I can tell, I have reverted to a older version of my EFI and OSX as I was getting that panic and Continuity and hand-off were not working. The attached EFI (EFI_14-july-19.zip)

uses Clover 4934, when I updated to Clover 5033 Continuity and hand-off stopped working.

I have also attached the EFI that I was on when the panic was caused (5-AUG-19.zip)
The attached CLOVER folder is a modified version of the Clover 5033 configuration. I've remove the drivers64UEFI folder (because drivers/UEFI takes precedence) and unchecked Inject Intel. There was nothing directly incriminating in your configuration, so try these small changes anyway to see whether there's any effect.

Should this fail, the next step would be to replace FakeSMC with VirtualSMC, but this requires:
  • Deleting existing FakeSMC and FakeSMC-Sensor kexts from /Library/Extensions
  • Copying VirtualSMC and its sensors into the same folder
  • Rebuilding kernel cache
  • Replacing FakeSMC and its sensors in CLOVER/kexts/Other with VirtualSMC and its sensors.
  • Replacing SMCHelper.efi in drivers/UEFI folder with VirtualSmc.efi

Attachments

• CLOVER-Stewie23.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 74
Hi, everyone!

Read many messages that LG 5K runs only at 4K, is there a way to know for sure?

I'm using Thunderbolt on Designare and see:
LG UltraFine:
Resolution: 5120x2880 (5K/UHD+ - Ultra High Definition Plus)
UI Looks like: 2560 x 1440

Update: I'm using the old 5K, not the new one just released
Regarding that wonderful question in red... it has got to be the Question of the Century!

There is so much confusion surrounding this that someone should just get a magnifying glass and count the gosh-darn pixels one by one. At this point, that sounds like the only way to put this question to rest.

This is where the confusion stems from:
  • The old LG UltraFine 5K uses an Alpine Ridge controller inside.
  • The new LG UltraFine 5K we believe uses the newer Titan Ridge controller. An excerpt from AnandTech:
    Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 8.31.54 AM.png
  • Notice carefully the last sentence:
    • likely indicating that LG has upgraded to Intel's Titan Ridge TB3 controller
  • This certainly means that the new version has Titan Ridge for the first time.
Now the limitations:
  • Alpine Ridge supports DisplayPort 1.2.
    • DisplayPort 1.2 is limited to 4K
  • Titan Ridge supports DisplayPort 1.4.
    • DisplayPort 1.4 can do 5K and 8K.
    • AMD RX 580, AMD Vega, AMD Radeon VII support DisplayPort 1.4 (hence 5K and 8K).
So how does Apple obtain 5K resolution on the old LG 5K monitor if the monitor itself is limited to DisplayPort 1.2?
  • We believe this is done in some proprietary way by multiplexing two DisplayPort 1.2 streams.
  • So theoretically it's unlikely that our Titan Ridge-based Hackintosh will achieve the same result.
The allure of the new LG UltraFine 5K is that it uses Titan Ridge inside and therefore supports a DisplayPort 1.4 stream, which our Hackintosh can easily provide.

So we need someone with a nice magnifying glass (and a lot of patience) to count the pixels. Or, better yet, just place both monitors side-by-side at the same reported resolution and see which one displays more content.

Last edited:
Hi Casey, regarding the issue of USB ejecting after Sleep recovery, its not true that it happens on all Macs.
I tested this on my laptop and my original hack (same as yours but 8700k processor) and I do not have this issue on either. This is why it immediately stood out to me when I saw it, I thought doesn't look right.

any ideas? thanks mate.
The eject problem is due to the type of USB device rather than the type of Macintosh. Utilities like Jettison were created for real Macs because certain USB devices are not ejected automatically prior to sleep. The Jettison home page specifically targets the utility for MacBook owners:
Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 8.45.25 AM.png

Back